Thread: Calling

Default Calling

Last weekend of the season around here, been a warm one with only one or two nights with a frost. What's everyone had for best luck calling during the end of the season?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post
    Last weekend of the season around here, been a warm one with only one or two nights with a frost. What's everyone had for best luck calling during the end of the season?

Don't quite know what you mean by what's everyone "had".... What type of calling? What kind of success at the end of the season? I've pretty much had my best luck just grunting and raking. And have called them doing that right up to the last day....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yes, type of calling... cow, bull or raking

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post
    Yes, type of calling... cow, bull or raking

Yes all the above.

Just remember its not the call as much as it's the presentation of the call.

Well I know a lot of guys use cow calls a lot and seem to have success. And I've heard cows bawling right up until the last (and beyond) day of the season. It's just that personally, although I've been known to mix it up a little....long drawn out cow calls, followed up by some grunts and raking. Most of my luck I feel has been with grunting an raking. Grunting to get their attention, then more raking as they start to come in....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Used cow calls primarily but when my bulls came in and he spooked I used a bull grunt to turn him back around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

I generally start the season with raking (bulls rub out during August and early September), then I add bull grunts, and finally cow calls in the latter part of the season. In other words, you do all three, depending on circumstances, toward the end of the season. Keep in mind that toward the end of September, some larger bulls will be "cowed up", and will not move very far from their cow(s) regardless. In those situations, you can sometimes use any of the three calls to locate a larger bull, then make your plan from there. Larger bulls will often grunt in answer to any of these three calls, and if you're close enough, you can hear them.

Beyond these basics, I've had good success by taking my cues from what the moose themselves are doing at the time. If you can hear them, that can work well.

Moose calling, regardless of the time of the season, is a fluid situation. Things that work well on one hunt may not work on a second hunt in the same area at the same time, in a subsequent season. I believe if you understand the basics of what's going on with bulls in your area as the season progresses, that's your best resource in making these decisions.

A great resource for learning about moose behavior is Feldhammer, Thompson, and Chapman's "Wild Mammals of North America", which contains an excellent section on moose biology and behavior. It's expensive, but well worth the investment. HERE'S A LINK where you can purchase it.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay