Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AHTNA calls Special Meeting with ADF&G Moose and Caribou Unit 13

Sponsor

Default AHTNA calls Special Meeting with ADF&G Moose and Caribou Unit 13

Sounds like they've been out-competed for moose and want to dredge up the old tier II liar's contest.

Sponsor

A lot of people have been wanting to see something done with the moose hunt in 13. Heres their chance to be heard.
    I found this in the upcoming events on the website.

Can not have it both ways. This is going to be interesting to follow! CSH is so wrong on so many plains that it is not funny!

"We can't shoot bulls faster than our city-folk counterparts, increase quota so we have a chance please..."

Next year;

"Crap, community applications have increased another 67%, we still can't shoot bulls faster than the city-folk....increase quota until moose population in accessible areas is decimated please."
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

What part of the word "discrimination" do these people not understand...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

So the answer to subsistence preference is to increase human population within the communities in order to argue for the longest straw of hunting preferences? Not to worry about whether game densities can (or will) support a doubling of community needs coupled with hunting priority? Some regulations actually help prevent wildlife extermination around rural communities!

Is it still a mystery that the subsistence cries are for more hunting opportunities for their people, but make sure they are comfortably close to home because backcountry travel is tough, time consuming and expensive?

I say deal with it!. Dont try to change the regs to suit your sad state of community affairs. Go out ahead of other hunters, earlier even. harvest your year's supply of meat when opening day arrives, and then go back home to be thankful you were successful and without contempt for other legal hunters. Look out your window and ask yourself how rapidly your community population is doubling...and where that puts your neighbors in the argument of equal opportunities for game today and in the future.
    https://pristineventures.com

Note below that the Board will also apparently discuss and possibly vote on ACRs and scheduling review on Prop 51 they passed at statewide meeting last March that will force all residents to punch their tag if there next-of-kin relative comes up to hunt and takes a sheep, mtn goat, or brown/grizzly bear.

I am not fond of these BOG teleconferences and how they are being handled; it allows for very little public involvement, short notice, and personally I see no reason to hold this special regulatory meeting in latter October when this could have been brought up at the Bethel meeting in January. Any decision in October will not apply methinks til next season anyway. On top of that, it's pretty hard to send in comments on the Ahtna issue when we don't really have a proposal to look at.

NOTICE OF PROPOSED CHANGES IN THE REGULATIONS
    OF THE ALASKA BOARD OF GAME

Notice is given that the Alaska Board of Game, under the authority of Title 16, Alaska Statutes, proposes to adopt changes to Title 5 of the Alaska Administrative Code, Chapters 85 and 92 dealing with moose and caribou hunting in Units 11, 12 and 13, which implement, interpret, or make specific the provisions of Title 16.

Regulations that may be adopted, amended, or repealed include: 5 AAC 85.045(a)(9)-(11) Hunting seasons and bag limits for moose; 5 AAC 85.025(a)(8) Hunting seasons and bag limits for caribou; 5 AAC 92.072 Community subsistence harvest hunt area and permit conditions; 5 AAC 92.050 Required permit hunt conditions and procedures; and 5 AAC 92.052 Discretionary permit hunt conditions and procedures. Subject matters include, but are not limited to the following:

A. HUNTING SEASONS, BAG LIMITS, AND QUOTAS, including: seasons, bag limits, and quotas for moose and caribou hunting in Units 11, 12, and 13, including the “any bull” quota and season for the community subsistence moose hunt and the quota, bag limit, and season for the community subsistence caribou hunt; and

B. PERMITS, PERMIT HUNT CONDITIONS, AND PROCEDURES including: moose and caribou hunting permit conditions for Units 11, 12, and 13; discretionary and required hunting permit conditions and procedures; and community subsistence hunt permit conditions.

In addition, the board will consider non-regulatory topics including agenda change requests submitted for the regulatory meetings scheduled for January and February 2017; and discussion of whether to schedule reconsideration of the board’s regulatory action from March 2016 concerning bag limits for brown bears, mountain goats, and sheep taken by nonresidents who are accompanied by resident relatives within the second-degree of kindred (Proposal 51 as amended). The board may also act upon other items such as findings, petitions, letters, or delegations.

The regulatory portion of this meeting is a special meeting of the board called by the commissioner of the Department of Fish and Game pursuant to AS 16.05.310 in response to the request for a meeting from Ahtna Tene Nene’ dated August 30, 2016. A copy of the request for the special meeting which contains proposed regulation changes, and other meeting materials are available online atwww.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=gameboard.meetinginfo, or from the ADF&G Boards Support Section Office at (907) 465-6097. Additional meeting information will be added to the website as it becomes available.

The board will consider the proposed regulatory changes at a special, teleconferenced meeting on Sunday, October 23, beginning at 9:00 a.m. The board will not be taking written or oral public comment during the teleconference.

A live audio stream of the meeting will be available at www.boardofgame.adfg.alaska.gov during and after the meeting for the public to listen to. Members of the public may also listen in to the meeting by teleconference. The number of teleconference lines is limited so listening via audio stream is encouraged. Contact Boards Support at (907) 465-6098 between October 17-21, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., to receive the listen-in only teleconference number.

You may comment on the proposed regulations changes including the potential costs to private persons of complying with the proposed changes by submitting written comments, limited to no more than 100 single sided or 50 double sided pages. Comments can be submitted online at www.boardofgame.adfg.alaska.gov; or by email for attachments only to dfg.bog.comments@alaska.gov. Written comments can also be mailed to P.O. Box 115526, Juneau, AK 99811-5526, or faxed to (907) 465-6094. The deadline for Boards Support to receive comments for this meeting is 5:00 p.m. Thursday, October 13, 2016. Written comments will not be accepted after the October 13 deadline. Written comments are public record and are subject to public inspection.

Anyone interested in or affected by subsistence or general hunting regulations is hereby informed that, by publishing this legal notice the Board of Game may consider any or all of the subject areas covered by this notice. THE BOARD IS NOT LIMITED BY THE PROPOSED REGULATORY CHANGES CONTAINED IN THE REQUEST FOR A SPECIAL MEETING SUBMITTED BY AHTNA TENE NENE’ ON AUGUST 30, 2016. Pursuant to AS 44.62.200, the board may review the full range of activities appropriate to any of the subjects listed in this notice. After the public hearing, the Board of Game may adopt these or other provisions dealing with the same subject, without further notice, or amend, reject, supplement, or decide to take no action on them. The language of the final regulations may be different from the proposed regulatory changes. YOU ARE ENCOURAGED TO COMMENT DURING THE TIME ALLOWED IF YOUR INTERESTS COULD BE AFFECTED.

If you are a person with a disability who may need a special accommodation in order to participate, please contact the Boards Support Section at (907) 465-4110 no later than 5:00 p.m. on Monday, October 17, 2016 so that any necessary accommodations can be provided.

Statutory Authority: AS 16.05, AS 16.30.

Statutes Being Implemented, Interpreted, or Made Specific: AS 16.05.255; AS 16.05.258

Fiscal Information: The proposed regulation changes are not expected to require an increased appropriation.

DATE: September 21, 2016 ____/s/______________________
    Kristy Tibbles, Executive Director
    Alaska Board of Game 465-6098

ADDITIONAL REGULATIONS NOTICE INFORMATION
    (AS 44.62.190(g))

1. Adopting agency: Alaska Board of Game

2. General subject of regulation: Moose and caribou hunting in Units 11, 12, and 13.

3. Citation of regulations: 5 AAC 85 and 92

4. Department of Law file numbers:

5. Reason for the proposed action:
    ( ) compliance with federal law
    ( ) compliance with new or changed state statute
    ( ) compliance with court order
    ( ) development of program standards
    (X) other: Response to the request for a meeting from Ahtna Tene Nene’ dated August 30, 2016, and to implement, interpret, or makespecific the provisions of AS 16.05– AS 16.30

6. Appropriation/Allocation: Natural Resources and all RDUs

7. Cost of implementation to the state agency and available funding: It is not possible to estimate costs. However, this action is notexpected to require an increased appropriation.
    8. The name of the contact person for the regulations:
    9. Name: Kristy Tibbles
    Title: Executive Director, Board Game
    Address: Boards Support Section
    Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game PO Box 115526
    Juneau, AK 99811-5526
    Telephone: (907) 465-6098
    E-mail: kristy.tibbles@alaska.gov
    10. The origin of the proposed action:
    staff of state agency
    federal government
    X general public

11. Date: September 21, 2016

Prepared by

/s/
    Kristy Tibbles, Executive Director
    Alaska Board of Game
    (907) 465-6098

Interesting. While I agree that the community harvest hunts need serious revision (or outright removal from our regulations), I certainly don't see that Ahtna is making a strong case here.

Really, what Larry says above could cover a lot of their complaints. Yeah, the hunt is a mess, but if their lack of success is accurate, it seems to fall at least in large part on their own shoulders. They claim to have only harvested three moose thus far this fall and note that their own hunters' participation has declined dramatically. While I understand not wanting to join the fray, if having meat is truly that important to these communities, they should be out there early and often. Yep, the community harvest hunts closed early due to the quota being met, but I've got to think that they could have taken quite a proportion of the quota if they had many hunters in the field hitting it hard right when it opened. Doing anything less is either evidence of poor planning or simply reflective of the reality that it really isn't as important to their people as they claim it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Interesting. While I agree that the community harvest hunts need serious revision (or outright removal from our regulations), I certainly don't see that Ahtna is making a strong case here.

Really, what Larry says above could cover a lot of their complaints. Yeah, the hunt is a mess, but if their lack of success is accurate, it seems to fall at least in large part on their own shoulders. They claim to have only harvested three moose thus far this fall and note that their own hunters' participation has declined dramatically. While I understand not wanting to join the fray, if having meat is truly that important to these communities, they should be out there early and often. Yep, the community harvest hunts closed early due to the quota being met, but I've got to think that they could have taken quite a proportion of the quota if they had many hunters in the field hitting it hard right when it opened. Doing anything less is either evidence of poor planning or simply reflective of the reality that it really isn't as important to their people as they claim it is.
    If you ask me they'd rather not have to do anything at all and have somebody just bring it to their house on a silver platter.......

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    If you ask me they'd rather not have to do anything at all and have somebody just bring it to their house on a silver platter.......
    Kind of like the folks on the Kenai who fought so hard for their "subsistence" gillnet in Moose Meadows. Then hired folks, non community members, to tend it because they couldn't get anyone from their community to do so, you know, because they needed it so bad and it's their right....
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben XCR View Post
    Kind of like the folks on the Kenai who fought so hard for their "subsistence" gillnet in Moose Meadows. Then hired folks, non community members, to tend it because they couldn't get anyone from their community to do so, you know, because they needed it so bad and it's their right....
    Yeah, exactly.....what a crock!

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    [SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman]Note below that the Board will also apparently discuss and possibly vote on ACRs and scheduling review on Prop 51 they passed at statewide meeting last March that will force all residents to punch their tag if there next-of-kin relative comes up to hunt and takes a sheep, mtn goat, or brown/grizzly bear.
    What is an ACR?

Well the obvious solution is to let urban hunters harvest as many "any bulls" as they want as long as they give half of each moose to the locals. (sarcasm)

Seriously, why the hell cant a simple spike, fork, 4 brow, 50" reg system be the standard for this area? Any Alaskan with a heartbeat can hunt as hard and as often as you want..... the persistent and the lucky will have moose in the freezer. The harvest will be self regulating and AHTNA members have just as good a chance as anyone else. The constant rule bending for this group or that group gets old....

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    the constant rule bending for this group or that group gets old....
    Extremely....!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    The constant rule bending for this group or that group gets old....
    Agreed wholeheartedly. And yet, they're the ones being discriminated against.....
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

ACR = Agenda Change Request

Last time I checked Ahtna has some of the most fertile hunting lands in the state locked up to non shareholders. So in my opinion they have no grounds to complain. It's just maddening!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LOCALAK907 View Post
    Last time I checked Ahtna has some of the most fertile hunting lands in the state locked up to non shareholders.
    I was thinking about that very thing last night. If their members would get out and hunt their corporation lands, they wouldn't have any need for community harvest regulations or anything of the sort. Much of their land is easily accessible and hold very good moose habitat. If their members aren't making use of this reality, there is nobody to blame but themselves.

My sentiments exactly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast