Thread: Moose horn growth

Default Moose horn growth

Checking to see if anyone else saw a growth on moose antlers like this bull. It looked like the velvet got pushed down and started to grow in a pile at the bottom of the antlers. Interesting looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Probably and injury to that area of the antler while still growing.
    Got caught on a small tree?

Game farmers "used" a technique of purposefully cutting antlers in velvet to create non-typical racks....

Odd for sure. Did he have a left nut? An injury to the left nut will cause goofy things to happen to the right antler.

Are you saying that moose was a liberal.......

Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    Odd for sure. Did he have a left nut? An injury to the left nut will cause goofy things to happen to the right antler.

Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    Of course different types of injuries can cause strange antler growth. But I helped drag a huge mule deer buck back to camp when I was a kid. We found that it only had one nut, but the massive 42" 4x4 rack was perfectly symmetrical with no oddities whatsoever. I've personally seen this type of antler burr near the base quite a bit and have heard that it's not that uncommon. I've got a moose rack on the wall myself with one. Maybe it's just some kind of nutritional thing going on at the time of new horn growth...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Of course different types of injuries can cause strange antler growth. But I helped drag a huge mule deer buck back to camp when I was a kid. We found that it only had one nut, but the massive 42" 4x4 rack was perfectly symmetrical with no oddities whatsoever. I've personally seen this type of antler burr near the base quite a bit and have heard that it's not that uncommon. I've got a moose rack on the wall myself with one. Maybe it's just some kind of nutritional thing going on at the time of new horn growth...???
    There was one at Fish and Game FBKS that had two clubs, I believe they mention it was something to do with low testosterone. I don't recall anything odd with his bull parts. I think it was an injury, it has bumps on the inside of the brow palm down to the base. Like the velvet was pushed down. Interesting you have seen several, my first on lots of moose antlers. Makes for neat rack, with burr or crown on the base.

Was the first pic perhaps taken in a swamp next to a small lake? Also, it could be the case of this http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/sp...ers_poster.pdf