Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bears come to moose calling?

Default Bears come to moose calling?

I have heard from a couple different sources that when using moose calling techniques, bears may also come in to those calls. Have you experienced this first hand? What has been your experiences? Lets hear your stories either supporting or disagreeing.

I've never called in a bear that I know of but I did call in a pack of coyotes once

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Never had a bear come in, but I got **** close to having to DLP a cow caribou that came to my moose calls years ago. I thought it was coincidental at first, just passing by, but she was all worked up when she got to me. I was laughing my butt off while I was trying to hide behind a little spruce tree....

One time I was standing behind some brush calling and a bear let me know he new I was not a moose by barking twice. He was very close.

What is really scarey is four difference times I had a bull come out of the brush at full speed looking for a fight, thinking I was a bull calling him a “son-of-a-caribou” stopped less than 20 feet away... looked at me. Three of the bulls turn and disappeared faster than I could say “ O bull”. When the forth one saw me he was 50 to 70 feet away, dropped his head next to the ground and charged, I ran.

It happened to us this year! I've never heard of it other than when using a predator call but this year we were raking and grunting in the same spot for about 20 minutes. We thought we heard a bull downhill of us so we stood quiet for a while and proceeded to call. It was about 15 minutes before dark and out of the alders uphill of us about 200 yds away 3 big brown bears walked out. It looked like a very large sow and two big cubs. One of the cubs was walking downhill directly at us while the other one and mom stood around at the top of the clearing by the alders. We then had to make a very quick decision on what to do. Shoot in very low light and risk the bears running into the alders which we know is never fun or go full speed back to camp on the trail that we were on. We decided to pass on the shot and get out of there as fast as possible which was the right decision we felt after we got back to camp and talked about it. Pretty tense ordeal and i was very intrigued on the fact that the bears came straight to us calling

Friend called a big blackie in once when using a deer call in PW Sound. I too have also called in a pair of yotes once while moose calling....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Did happen to us on a drop camp south of Lake Clark. We were in a brushy finger that went into a swamp. I was on one side and my buddy who was calling with and raking a megaphone was on the other side of this finger. Only about 40 yards apart. He had called for about 20 minutes off and on and all of a sudden he yells my name??? I know something is wrong so I ran straight at him. He was down on one knee with his rifle pointed to my left. I look and there is a grizzly running full tilt away. I pull my gun up and say "Todd, don't shoot". Luckily the bear never stopped and was soon in the bush. Turns out the bear came in on all fours and got within 30 yards of Todd and then stood up. Todd was using both hands on the megaphone raking and caught movement out of the corner of his eye. He went for his rifle thinking moose but then hollered for me after he realized it wasn't a moose. The bear must have realized his mistake also and took off. Pretty unnerving for a while. On our 9 day hunt we counted 12 different bears in our excursions from camp. Some were sows with cubs though.

I am convinced my moose calling brought in a brown bear I shot at about 30' on a dark September evening about 20 years ago.

Just last year this guy got mauled while moose calling.

http://www.adn.com/kenai/article/tex...ke/2015/09/23/

On two separate occasions, my buddy and myself both shot a wolf that came in to cow moose calls.. Both shot at less then 50'...
    I watched a big black bear run towards me from over 1/2 mile away by just squalling at him with a rabbit in distress call..
    A very good friend of mine almost got mauled by a mtn. lion in Oregon several years ago. He was sitting at the base of a tree giving cow elk chirps when he thought he heard something behind him. When he turned to look, there was a big cat 10' away, squatted down and ready too pounce on him.
    Anytime using any calls while hunting big game, expect a different kind of response, all the time, every time...

It does sound from the concensus that indeed bears can be called in when using moose calling techniques. The reason I ask is that more and more I'm hearing of people who are calling, and successfully harvesting bulls right from camp. That may not be a wise practice considering that one may also be attracting bears right into camp as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain joe View Post
    It does sound from the concensus that indeed bears can be called in when using moose calling techniques. The reason I ask is that more and more I'm hearing of people who are calling, and successfully harvesting bulls right from camp. That may not be a wise practice considering that one may also be attracting bears right into camp as well.
    Actually I don't believe that the overall consensus would be that calling moose brings in bears. Bears don't normally tangle with full grown bulls, and you know they darn well know what one sounds like....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Friend called a big blackie in once when using a deer call in PW Sound. I too have also called in a pair of yotes once while moose calling....
    Same here, except in Wa. state.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I'm curious now. For those who have unintentionally called in a bear while moose calling, how many were using cow calls and how many were not using cow calls in your calling routine?

I call in bears all the time with cow calls, haven't had one come in on grunts or anything though, or raking. In my area bears will come investigate just about every noise that sounds half natural. Sometimes Ill call just for the fun of seeing whats around at my cabin, and noticed early on that black bears you see before you hear, and brown bears you hear before you see.

A few years back I had a Ft Rich archery permit for moose, was sitting on a stand calling and didn't get any responses. I left about an hour later and when I got back on the main trail there were some huge brown bear tracks on top of mine (there was snow on the ground). He must have heard us coming down the trail and went into the brush right before we passed by.

About 6-7 years ago I had a buddy that was hunting Hatchers Pass and was doing some bull grunting and tree raking when he caught movement off to his left. Turned out to be a fairly large black wolf which he was able to quickly put down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mountain joe View Post
    I'm curious now. For those who have unintentionally called in a bear while moose calling, how many were using cow calls and how many were not using cow calls in your calling routine?
    I know this guy from Fairbanks who was making cow calls and a grizzly responded to it. Actually, his son was making the cow calls. They heard loud noises like when branches are being broken, so they though it was a bull moose. A grizzly appeared across a small pond, and both shot it with a .375H&H and .338 Magnum. This was about 4 years ago on the Elliott highway. I believe the grizzly made the records book.

Several years ago as I was making bull grunts, a wolf howled in the brush about 30 yards away. It scared the heck out of me since it was so close and I could not see it, and soon realized that it was a small pack. It was getting dark, so I jumped on my ATV and left. Yes, when I can't see I turn into a chicken

IIRC the guy who was mauled last fall at Skilak Lake was calling. One of them had a bow and the other a rifle. Brothers maybe?
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

We turned a very large black bear a few years ago by cow calling. Thought we'd glimpsed and heard a moose going into the brush, and gave a couple quiet cow calls. The bear came boiling out of the brush toward us, but left just as quick at my warning shot.

This is a very UN-scientific analysis from a very small sampling of "data" but It appears to me that with bears that come in to moose calling techniques, it is more often cow calling rather than bull grunts or raking that the bears are responding to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast