Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harassed by drone off Denali hwy

Default Harassed by drone off Denali hwy

I have been hunting moose at the same camp for over 20 years off the Denali with my buddy and our sons. We have respected other camps by not infringing on their areas or their hunt. This year a camp hunting on the southwest side of round mountain who have been hunting there for the past 3 years or so who have bothered us before by flashing lights on us at night, sidehilling on us with rigs and moose calling while we were putting a stalk on a bull reached a new low. They showed up this year with 9 rigs and 13 people, 3 to 4 children who we could hear screaming and yelling from roughly a mile away or so.Just as we left our camp for the evening hunt we heard a buzzing sound and we new immediately we new it was a drone! My son watched it over our camp, we had meat on our meat pole which could be seen from their camp as they are higher up and can see our camp. They obviously saw us looking for the sound from the drone as my son saw it over our camp than watched it go back their camp. They were the only camp on the mountain! So it by no mistake that it was from them. It was also a very quiet night. My son took pics of their camp through my Swarovski spotting scope. Will post pics after I talk with fish and game troopers today along with other info. We as hunters cannot let people like this get away with this! It saddens me that they disrespect hunting like this and what are they teaching those kids!

I'd be really interested to hear more about this topic. I totally get your frustration with the inconsiderate hunters and their sidehilling ways, but how does the drone cause you a problem? Did it follow you when you went hunting? I wonder if the other party will post an account of being perturbed by someone photographing their camp through a Swaro.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Since we also hunt this same area, I would be concerned with a drone working the area during hunting season. Drones are NOT legal for hunting or to be used for spotting. Being that I carry a sat phone, I would have been calling the troopers in short order.
    As far as a large group of people and children, that just goes along with the use of off road vehicles of all types. It would be better if the adults in that group would let the children know to keep the noise down but, good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I'd be really interested to hear more about this topic. I totally get your frustration with the inconsiderate hunters and their sidehilling ways, but how does the drone cause you a problem? Did it follow you when you went hunting? I wonder if the other party will post an account of being perturbed by someone photographing their camp through a Swaro.
    Nice job defending law breakers. Guess that's the new routine these days. I'd qualify that drone bs as molesting a hunt. No place for a drone out hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I wonder if the other party will post an account of being perturbed by someone photographing their camp through a Swaro.
    I would think he photographed the camp BECAUSE of their use of the drone....you know taking license plate numbers and such. But I agree, drones shouldn't be anywhere around people hunting. I'm pretty sure that would qualify as hunter harassment....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I'm not defending anything, but I did suggest that more information was needed. Was the drone used for hunting? Was it used by one of the kids at camp to kill time while the others were hunting? Was the drone equipped with a camera? A hellfire missile?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I would have tried to shoot it down.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I would have tried to shoot it down.
    ....and claimed self defense.... "Thought it some giant prehistoric bug coming in to to kill me!!!"......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

UFO at least
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    Being that I carry a sat phone, I would have been calling the troopers in short order.
    ^^ This! ^^
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyhorn22 View Post
    I have been hunting moose at the same camp for over 20 years off the Denali with my buddy and our sons. We have respected other camps by not infringing on their areas or their hunt. This year a camp hunting on the southwest side of round mountain who have been hunting there for the past 3 years or so who have bothered us before by flashing lights on us at night, sidehilling on us with rigs and moose calling while we were putting a stalk on a bull reached a new low. They showed up this year with 9 rigs and 13 people, 3 to 4 children who we could hear screaming and yelling from roughly a mile away or so.Just as we left our camp for the evening hunt we heard a buzzing sound and we new immediately we new it was a drone! My son watched it over our camp, we had meat on our meat pole which could be seen from their camp as they are higher up and can see our camp. They obviously saw us looking for the sound from the drone as my son saw it over our camp than watched it go back their camp. They were the only camp on the mountain! So it by no mistake that it was from them. It was also a very quiet night. My son took pics of their camp through my Swarovski spotting scope. Will post pics after I talk with fish and game troopers today along with other info. We as hunters cannot let people like this get away with this! It saddens me that they disrespect hunting like this and what are they teaching those kids!
    It was nice visiting you guys up at your camp, hope the rest of your hunt went well. We kept an eye on that group as well.

I'm in total agreement with Amigo Will...Splash the Drone!!! Once you've calculated the proper lead distance...Hey Look, it's raining drone parts!!!

Sounds better and more fun than skeet shooting to me... I think I'll make sure to carry my 12 gauge from now on.
    PULL!!!! BOOM... CRASH.

What Amigo Will said works for me.

I expect the drone issue to be more of a problem every year and hope to liberalize the bag limit if given the opportunity and the circumstances warrant it.

I had the same guy and his son come up with in 50 yards of my wife and me this year when we were watching a meadow in the evening. The first time he walked over to us and asked if we had seen any thing and I said no, but we are being quiet and hoping to. The next time he just stopped by us and glassed for 10 minutes so I left in disgust.

My wife told me to be nice as they were just hunting like us. I love my wife and bit my tongue. But dang that guy was irritating and he is teaching his adult son some bad manners!

Remember that the FAA has classified drones as aircraft and it's illegal to shoot down an aircraft.

The new part 107 rule for UAS under 55 pounds also states that a drone cannot be operated over persons who are not participating in the operation of the drone. So, in this case the pilot was in violation if the aircraft was over the people in the camp.
    Also the remote pilot in command needs to hold a cert. Drone needs to be registered,etc.

I sure see a lot of drone use on the outdoor channel. I know other places may allow the use. but I read here they should not be used at all. what is the consensus?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Remember that the FAA has classified drones as aircraft and it's illegal to shoot down an aircraft.
    That's a law I'd be willing to break, given the circumstances.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

The FAA, FBI, IRS, CIA, NSA, DOJ, etc. A real law abiding bunch of federal agencies. Geeese.....What if there was no criminal intent? That's the new one, no criminal intent, gotta remember that one.

Default Harassed by drone off Denali hwy

Here a bit of information next time you see a drone.
    Every drone you can go buy off the shelf in any store. will only fly 1000 feet from the controller before they loose Bluetooth live feed.
    Only a small percent of drone uses can flight by gps. Most fly by watching the screen on iPad. Which is Bluetooth! 1000feet.

So 90% chance there close by!

Don't shoot one down if you see the amount of trouble you'll be in for doing that isn't worth it!
    Look for the guy flying it most likely he is close by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Good info akmike30, thanks. Good to know the offender won't have to hike too far to retrieve what's left of his obnoxious toy after it's been shot down.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast