Thread: Silvers in the Southeast!

Default Silvers in the Southeast!

I've been on the island (POW) a couple days and have limited plus released fish each day. The fish are running at 10 pounds avg and plenty in the low teens being caught around me. No shortage of fish as the hatchery manager told me the trollers caught 178K already.

It's a trip mainly to fill the freezer back home so my fishing is focused on a hatchery return vs native wild runs.

Have also pulled two limits of Dungies off the dock with my ring net. 3 males@6.5 or bigger. Easy. Caught 47 throwbacks between juniors and lady crabs. Kept a handful of red rock crabs, too. Cooked up nicely.

Piles of Pacific Cod or True cod as they call them here are just a jig away at the end of the dock. I tossed ten back today just to get a feel for what's down there. Big fish was 6#.

Another another location i fished for Spiny Dogfish and caught 7 with the big girl weighing 22# even. And just shy of 4'. Was a bit careless unhooking one and got spurred through the boot. Yeow! No blood but i felt it and got it on video.

This is the fish species caught list on day one.
    Pacific Cod
    Staghorn Sculpin
    Great Sculpin
    Northern Rock Sole

Silver Salmon adult male and female and juvenile Jack Salmon
    Pink Salmon male and female
    Yellow Sole
    Dungeness Crab male and female
    Red Rock Crab male and female
    Spiny Dogfish Shark 1 female -released

Day two was pretty much the same but the focus was on 6 coho first, then sharking a couple of hours after processing the Coho into the deep freeze.
    So 3 more days to fish and back home.

PS...the fillet knife id a 9" blade and my height is 6'2" for scale.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Couple shark..spiny dogfish pics. Haven't decided to kill one yet. 5 a day is the harvest limit. Everyone here says kill all you want.

Might do one at the end of the week.

Very nice! On the spiny dogfish, if you cut the tail to start bleeding them immediately and then gut and dehead it after 5 minutes they are excellent. Just trim off all the red/brown meat and fry it up!

I thought this was the year of no silvers?? nice work, you'll load the freezer quickly with silvers of that size!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it's just the picture, but those look like big spots on the backs of those silvers in that first picture...

Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan54 View Post
    Maybe it's just the picture, but those look like big spots on the backs of those silvers in that first picture...
    are you insinuating he is keeping fresh kings from the river right now?
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Big spots cuz the fish are big! Note the gums.

I got another limit in two hours this morning on roe. Chrome fish still moving in.

@ johnnycake....my buds from Idaho said the dogfish they ate was good. After this big blow (60mph) peters out I may hit that dock and harvest one.

POW has no freshwater King fishery.

Nice looking fish, it looks like you are getting into them. I will talk to you when you get home.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    are you insinuating he is keeping fresh kings from the river right now?
    I'm insinuating that in the picture it looks like the spots on the backs of those silvers are big...ok so I wasn't insinuating, I just said it. Do you think they are kings?

Kings have black gums...Silvers have white gum....dead giveaway in the pics.

Finished with 5 days of limits minus a couple three because I would have had to add a fourth fish box.

Some days it took less than an hour...much less to get six silvers...other days I would have 5 fish in under an hour and two hours later finally score the last one. Whenever the sun crested the tree line...it was lights out for the bite on eggs. The. There was a short hot bite on pink pixee spoons. Afer that best to call it good and come back for the evening bite to limit out.

So 3 fish boxes at 50# each are going home to feed the family until next fall.

Right before the fall trip my wife lets me go hog wild with canning and smoking the last few fillets. I can ( pressure cook in pint jars) two runs of 21 pints a year for making salmon salad. Won't ever eat tunafish out of a can again....that' s cat food compared to canned salmon.

the POW coho return is going strong with late fish arriving daily. We could see pods of them schooling in all the bays and snaggers galore.

my Idaho buds were taking 42 fish a day everyday and have 2 more days to fish. That's about 1220# for their haul.

Today after packing and getting everything ready for departure I had time this afternoon to wet a line on the dock.

we have a 30 mph blow going and the rain and wave spray plus dock motion gave me a boat ride feel while jigging for whatever.

Caught and released 2 Coppers, a dozen P-Cod, too many sculpins to count and a decent sized rock sole. I heard a screaming kid and looked behind me at the next dock over and Capt. Kirk of the next lodge over was doing the same. Except he, his kids and his bud were jigging up fillet and release Cod...keeping all they caught.

Good times on the island.

til next year...

Caught, cooked, ate and froze some of these fellas, too. That plate measures 10.5" across.

Never got a chance to harvest a dogfish. After catching one on the first day and 7 the next, each subsequent session in the same waters with the same tactics resulted in skunk shark. Just caught crabs or sculpins.

now I know where and how to get..there's something for next year.

Looks sunny and hot in SE, get those salmon on ice! I miss dungies, best crab anywhere if you ask me...which you didn't, but they are. Why would you not keep the p-cod, that is really good eating?

Been following your posts for several years. I love POW, going back next year. Seems like you went later than usual this year. Any reason for that ? Crazy to see so much blue sky in your pics.

yep, felt like a heat wave 2 days....the 60 MPH blow on day three got things back to normal. I always bonk, bleed, iki jime ( brain spike ) and ice down the fish ASAP.

I take ice with me to the river each day and have the fish iced down shortly after catching and dispatching them

There was a family from Anchorage standing in the river in jeans and yoga pants up to their waists. Course they had their XTRATUFFs on but he water from the lake was THAT warm. The rain the next day fixed that, too.

Brought home 150 # of fresh silver fillets. Had to stop fishing ( went to C & R ) or go to 4 boxes due to the large size of the fish. Left some with the lodge as a gift.

Kept about 10 # of Dungies to eat ASAP since they don't keep long in the freezer.

My lodge neighbor - Capt. Kirk - of "he runs out for Albacore tuna several times during the season" fame - 50 miles due west of POW, motored his boat over to me and stopped asking why I kept tossing the P-Cod back. I said these were too small to mess with.

The next day, he, his bud and kids were all jigging cod off their dock next to me. I pull one up long as my leg and yelled over to him- he said YEP! that's getting bigger!

I ate crab, salmon, chowder & halibut most days and would have eaten a dogfish, too, as well as the P-cod, but only so much food fits down the gullet.

I'm a fairly light eater, mostly. So the Cod were omitted by choice.

I went later to coincide with my buds from Idaho. Fish are still pouring in.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    yep, felt like a heat wave 2 days....the 60 MPH blow on day three got things back to normal. I always bonk, bleed, iki jime ( brain spike ) and ice down the fish ASAP.

I take ice with me to the river each day and have the fish iced down shortly after catching and dispatching them

There was a family from Anchorage standing in the river in jeans and yoga pants up to their waists. Course they had their XTRATUFFs on but he water from the lake was THAT warm. The rain the next day fixed that, too.

Brought home 150 # of fresh silver fillets. Had to stop fishing ( went to C & R ) or go to 4 boxes due to the large size of the fish. Left some with the lodge as a gift.

Kept about 10 # of Dungies to eat ASAP since they don't keep long in the freezer.

My lodge neighbor - Capt. Kirk - of "he runs out for Albacore tuna several times during the season" fame - 50 miles due west of POW, motored his boat over to me and stopped asking why I kept tossing the P-Cod back. I said these were too small to mess with.

The next day, he, his bud and kids were all jigging cod off their dock next to me. I pull one up long as my leg and yelled over to him- he said YEP! that's getting bigger!

I ate crab, salmon, chowder & halibut most days and would have eaten a dogfish, too, as well as the P-cod, but only so much food fits down the gullet.

I'm a fairly light eater, mostly. So the Cod were omitted by choice.

I went later to coincide with my buds from Idaho. Fish are still pouring in.
    Curious what type of gear were you using to nail the cod? I'm a recent transplant to Haines from Anchorage and I've been considering doing a little dock fishing to try to find cod since I actually prefer them to halibut. What was working for you?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Gear used Jigging for cod? In a word - anything! A couple years back when I found out they were right under our feet, I used salmon belly bits or fins on a Pixxee spoon. That took too long to sink so I went to a 2 oz lead head jig with a strip of meat. Then without the meat and the trick was simply get it on the bottom and bounce it twice and lift up a couple inches. bam! Hookset and reel.

now I cast my own slow fall jigs and toss them out 50 yards jigging off the bottom back to the dock. A hookup never fails to happen. If not a cod then something.

salmon gear works but a shorter jigging rod is better. I have 3-4 Japanese jigging rods and reels that I bring just for that. They are almost like a cross between graphite and e-glass. Very flexible yet strong. They are made to twitch and work the jig not the fish. The reel drag fights the hard pullers and winches them up. Then I use a boga grip to lip them up.

hope this helps. If you do the above and cod are down there they will get on your hook. Just slow bottom bouncing is all it takes. Bait is optional. I quit using it.

Keep cleaning out those cod. I make my turn in the winter right off that dock, and load my gear up with them. They don't fight at all so it's easy to tow them.

Pretty crazy the size of the 'hos this year. Had a good trip commercial trolling for them offshore, and then picked away for them on the inside.

btw. we saw a guy catch about a 60lb halibut off the dock on the other side of kirks. it was actually off the walkway. It was a rodeo.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    btw. we saw a guy catch about a 60lb halibut off the dock on the other side of kirks. it was actually off the walkway. It was a rodeo.
    Chuck and Nils got home from their moose hunt up north about 2 hours before I pulled in.

I checked in with them and Chuck said 'grab a plate!'.

they fed me up good with Jeanette's halibut, sweet potato fries and salad. Stuffed me and told me about the halibut from shore.

i caught 50 crabs off Skip Fabry's dock in 2 hours to get 3 huge keeper males. Skip took off to Kake for a moose.

i ended up with three 50# boxes of jumbo coho! Gonna can and smoke some.

when Kirk saw me tossing cod back he and his kids grabbed their gear and hauled on them.

some of our group will be back in June on your boat.

i'm firing up the smoker this weekend.