Thread: Sitka Blacktail Deer

Default Sitka Blacktail Deer

A couple buddies and I are trying to figure out a good place to go going deer hunting. We're trying not to spend a whole lot of money. If anyone else suggestions or know of good companies to contact please let me know. I appreciate all the help. P.S. I have done my research but want to get some help for those who've hunted the areas before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JMC View Post
    A couple buddies and I are trying to figure out a good place to go going deer hunting. We're trying not to spend a whole lot of money. If anyone else suggestions or know of good companies to contact please let me know. I appreciate all the help. P.S. I have done my research but want to get some help for those who've hunted the areas before.

Blacktails on a budget: you can take a truck on the ferry from Homer to Kodiak city. Cheaper than flying. Hunt the road system and be prepared to hike a lot and put in some work. Camp out instead of getting a hotel and bring your own food. Split 3 ways it's probably your best option

Release Lake Trout

I'll +1 the above post.

I've taken my 4 wheeler to Port Lions on Kodiak(I'm sure you've looked into it) and, quite frankly, there's just not much land accessible there. And what is there is hammered by hunters trying to save a dollar(myself included). I wouldn't do it again.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Depends on what "budget" means. Doing Kodiak on the cheap/skinny as above was good 20 years ago and may be good now, but I haven't done it recently.

Did PoW island a couple of years ago and hunted the road system. This was a present for Son and DIL and Granddaughter so we went with an outfitter (not guide!) with luxury cabins, meals, etc. However, other than the flight to KTN, PoW can be hunted cheaply for the rental of a beater truck if you want to camp in a tent and do you own cooking etc. On the inter-island ferry back to KTN from PoW, ran into a party that had done just that and they had more deer than we did......but we got a hot shower every night!
    Back in AK

Thanks for the info. To get to Prince of Whales, you have to
    Fly
    To ketchican and then take the ferry?

Quote Originally Posted by JMC View Post
    Thanks for the info. To get to Prince of Whales, you have to
    Fly
    To ketchican and then take the ferry?

Yes, either Ketchikan to Hollis via ferry or there's a smaller ferry that runs from Wrangell to Coffman Cove.

Thanks Brian.

I think you can also drive to Haines then ferry to Ketchikan and then another ferry from there to Hollis

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

you could fly to Juneau and take a short charter flight out to a forest service cabin on admiralty island. hunting would be good, you can get away from the roads, and having a warm cabin to come back to after hunting in the rain/snow all day is well worth it.
    Ward Air charters flights at ~$650 an hour but the flight would be pretty short and you could fit a lot of stuff in a beaver.

two of us did Kodiak last year. granted we flew to the south end to hunt both deer and the reindeer but the cost was about $3k for a beaver flight with Andrews Air and $400 for the camp rental from Kodiak Kamps + our NR licenses/tags. it was an AWESOME hunt. we each killed a nice buck and a nice reindeer each. could have killed more deer if we just wanted meat.

Not to hijack, but I am looking at Kodiak Next fall (2017). Looking at the forest service cabins - which seem to stay booked, looking at a few lakes and inlets....
    Are the cabins always occupied? I just can't imagine flying in there and having people at the cabins, or am I missing something.

I assume the south end is more open and the north end is more forested, correct?

I've been on google earth, so I'm now looking at the west side, due west of Kodiak, up in the head of the bay? Are deer everywhere, where you find them? I realize weather plays a terribly important role for elevation of the animals.

All I have to go on, thus far, are the knowledgeable people on this site and recording TV shows...

Also, I will in all likelihood hire a guide or transporter or outfitter. Any recommendations?

I realize weather dictates whether or not a lake becomes accessible with ice and clouds, and that's OK, I can adjust.

I'm thinking sometime between late September and early November - certainly off the road system - probably fly into an area for 5 days or so.

Lastly, any good books/articles besides what I get in magazines?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by DoughNut View Post
    Not to hijack, but I am looking at Kodiak Next fall (2017). Looking at the forest service cabins - which seem to stay booked, looking at a few lakes and inlets....
    Are the cabins always occupied? I just can't imagine flying in there and having people at the cabins, or am I missing something.

I assume the south end is more open and the north end is more forested, correct?

I've been on google earth, so I'm now looking at the west side, due west of Kodiak, up in the head of the bay? Are deer everywhere, where you find them? I realize weather plays a terribly important role for elevation of the animals.

All I have to go on, thus far, are the knowledgeable people on this site and recording TV shows...

Also, I will in all likelihood hire a guide or transporter or outfitter. Any recommendations?

I realize weather dictates whether or not a lake becomes accessible with ice and clouds, and that's OK, I can adjust.

I'm thinking sometime between late September and early November - certainly off the road system - probably fly into an area for 5 days or so.

Lastly, any good books/articles besides what I get in magazines?

Thanks,
    Call Kodiak Charters 907 847 3007 I have been using them for several year and have been happy with them.

Prince William Sound is loaded with deer this year. From JBER it's the easiest and cheapest deer hunt for you. Any major Island in the Sound will have deer and sometimes you can find them on the smaller islands. There are also pockets of deer on the mainland.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    Prince William Sound is loaded with deer this year. From JBER it's the easiest and cheapest deer hunt for you. Any major Island in the Sound will have deer and sometimes you can find them on the smaller islands. There are also pockets of deer on the mainland.
    Ya, I was gonna say.... Other than having access with a boat out of Whittier, it's probably the cheapest, quickest and easiest way to get into decent, or potentially great deer hunting. Still a lot cheaper than a commercial flight to Kodiak and then another charter out of there. I'm sure a guy can save using the ferry but that adds more time it takes in and out....

Great to hear the deer population is way up!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

POW is a great blacktail hunt. I usually rent the cabin on Control lake for $40 a night. It sleeps eight and has wood and fuel provided. We rented a car and hunted/hiked in from the roads and along the beaches.