Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Sitka Blacktail Deer

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    JBER, AK
    Posts
    25

    Default Sitka Blacktail Deer

    A couple buddies and I are trying to figure out a good place to go going deer hunting. We're trying not to spend a whole lot of money. If anyone else suggestions or know of good companies to contact please let me know. I appreciate all the help. P.S. I have done my research but want to get some help for those who've hunted the areas before.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JMC View Post
    A couple buddies and I are trying to figure out a good place to go going deer hunting. We're trying not to spend a whole lot of money. If anyone else suggestions or know of good companies to contact please let me know. I appreciate all the help. P.S. I have done my research but want to get some help for those who've hunted the areas before.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Blacktails on a budget: you can take a truck on the ferry from Homer to Kodiak city. Cheaper than flying. Hunt the road system and be prepared to hike a lot and put in some work. Camp out instead of getting a hotel and bring your own food. Split 3 ways it's probably your best option



    Release Lake Trout

  3. #3
    Member akiceman25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Two Rivers, AK
    Posts
    1,244

    Default

    I'll +1 the above post.

    I've taken my 4 wheeler to Port Lions on Kodiak(I'm sure you've looked into it) and, quite frankly, there's just not much land accessible there. And what is there is hammered by hunters trying to save a dollar(myself included). I wouldn't do it again.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Depends on what "budget" means. Doing Kodiak on the cheap/skinny as above was good 20 years ago and may be good now, but I haven't done it recently.

    Did PoW island a couple of years ago and hunted the road system. This was a present for Son and DIL and Granddaughter so we went with an outfitter (not guide!) with luxury cabins, meals, etc. However, other than the flight to KTN, PoW can be hunted cheaply for the rental of a beater truck if you want to camp in a tent and do you own cooking etc. On the inter-island ferry back to KTN from PoW, ran into a party that had done just that and they had more deer than we did......but we got a hot shower every night!
    Back in AK

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    JBER, AK
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Thanks for the info. To get to Prince of Whales, you have to
    Fly
    To ketchican and then take the ferry?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JMC View Post
    Thanks for the info. To get to Prince of Whales, you have to
    Fly
    To ketchican and then take the ferry?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, either Ketchikan to Hollis via ferry or there's a smaller ferry that runs from Wrangell to Coffman Cove.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    JBER, AK
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Thanks Brian.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Member kwackkillncrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    chugiak, ak
    Posts
    994

    Default

    I think you can also drive to Haines then ferry to Ketchikan and then another ferry from there to Hollis


    Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

  9. #9
    Member AKducks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    423

    Default

    you could fly to Juneau and take a short charter flight out to a forest service cabin on admiralty island. hunting would be good, you can get away from the roads, and having a warm cabin to come back to after hunting in the rain/snow all day is well worth it.
    Ward Air charters flights at ~$650 an hour but the flight would be pretty short and you could fit a lot of stuff in a beaver.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    82

    Default

    two of us did Kodiak last year. granted we flew to the south end to hunt both deer and the reindeer but the cost was about $3k for a beaver flight with Andrews Air and $400 for the camp rental from Kodiak Kamps + our NR licenses/tags. it was an AWESOME hunt. we each killed a nice buck and a nice reindeer each. could have killed more deer if we just wanted meat.

  11. #11

    Default

    Not to hijack, but I am looking at Kodiak Next fall (2017). Looking at the forest service cabins - which seem to stay booked, looking at a few lakes and inlets....
    Are the cabins always occupied? I just can't imagine flying in there and having people at the cabins, or am I missing something.

    I assume the south end is more open and the north end is more forested, correct?

    I've been on google earth, so I'm now looking at the west side, due west of Kodiak, up in the head of the bay? Are deer everywhere, where you find them? I realize weather plays a terribly important role for elevation of the animals.

    All I have to go on, thus far, are the knowledgeable people on this site and recording TV shows...

    Also, I will in all likelihood hire a guide or transporter or outfitter. Any recommendations?

    I realize weather dictates whether or not a lake becomes accessible with ice and clouds, and that's OK, I can adjust.

    I'm thinking sometime between late September and early November - certainly off the road system - probably fly into an area for 5 days or so.

    Lastly, any good books/articles besides what I get in magazines?

    Thanks,

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mile 102 Glenn Highway
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoughNut View Post
    Not to hijack, but I am looking at Kodiak Next fall (2017). Looking at the forest service cabins - which seem to stay booked, looking at a few lakes and inlets....
    Are the cabins always occupied? I just can't imagine flying in there and having people at the cabins, or am I missing something.

    I assume the south end is more open and the north end is more forested, correct?

    I've been on google earth, so I'm now looking at the west side, due west of Kodiak, up in the head of the bay? Are deer everywhere, where you find them? I realize weather plays a terribly important role for elevation of the animals.

    All I have to go on, thus far, are the knowledgeable people on this site and recording TV shows...

    Also, I will in all likelihood hire a guide or transporter or outfitter. Any recommendations?

    I realize weather dictates whether or not a lake becomes accessible with ice and clouds, and that's OK, I can adjust.

    I'm thinking sometime between late September and early November - certainly off the road system - probably fly into an area for 5 days or so.

    Lastly, any good books/articles besides what I get in magazines?

    Thanks,
    Call Kodiak Charters 907 847 3007 I have been using them for several year and have been happy with them.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,067

    Default

    Prince William Sound is loaded with deer this year. From JBER it's the easiest and cheapest deer hunt for you. Any major Island in the Sound will have deer and sometimes you can find them on the smaller islands. There are also pockets of deer on the mainland.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

  14. #14
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    8,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    Prince William Sound is loaded with deer this year. From JBER it's the easiest and cheapest deer hunt for you. Any major Island in the Sound will have deer and sometimes you can find them on the smaller islands. There are also pockets of deer on the mainland.
    Ya, I was gonna say.... Other than having access with a boat out of Whittier, it's probably the cheapest, quickest and easiest way to get into decent, or potentially great deer hunting. Still a lot cheaper than a commercial flight to Kodiak and then another charter out of there. I'm sure a guy can save using the ferry but that adds more time it takes in and out....

    Great to hear the deer population is way up!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  15. #15
    Member Longbow6360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Afognak Island
    Posts
    187

    Default

    POW is a great blacktail hunt. I usually rent the cabin on Control lake for $40 a night. It sleeps eight and has wood and fuel provided. We rented a car and hunted/hiked in from the roads and along the beaches.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •