Thread: 327 federal?

Default 327 federal?

i searched w/ various titles, then dug around, but i don't see anything about the 327 federal cartridge. i would like to know what people are feeling about it as far as a self-defense cartridge. i understand that you can get ballistics that are only a tad less than a 357 mag (given similar bullet weights) but have a bit less recoil with the 327. this would make the 327 more desirable for less-stout shooters. is anyone here shooting a 327 federal, and, if so, how does it compare to the 357 mag? thanks. john

Some years back I shot one in a friend's Ruger SP101, but memory fogs whether it was the earlier 3" or later 4". Though I wasn't shooting it side by side with a 357, I have 5 decades of steady 357 shooting for comparison.

Recoil was slightly less, if reduced recoil is your goal. But I gotta say it may not be enough to justify it, even for "less-stout" shooters. It's a LOUD LOUD LOUD little sucker. Reminds me of the 30 Carbine in a Blackhawk. My wife hated it. The noise and muzzle flash probably reflect the powder they chose to pump velocities. If I owned one I'd be putting in a lot of testing to find a powder that didn't flap my pant legs and curl my ears when the fuse was lit.

Twas me, I'd look more at a 357 stoked with 38 Special +P+ or even +P loads in the 125 grain range. Even less recoil and nowhere near so ear flappy. My wife isn't bothered at all, and in fact shoots such loads darned well.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Folks mostly like the 327 because it come in the Ruger single seven as a light packing revolver. It is not as close to the 357 as say the 41 mag to the 44mag. Lots of info on this forum about the round.
    http://singleactions.proboards.com/
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Brownbear and amigo: many thanks. i will steer away from the 327.

I shot one in the 4" GP100. It's less recoil than the 357mag, but you can definitely tell that there's some power behind it. Without looking at 38special +p loads, I believe that it is more than they are. Also - it can be downloaded with all of the other .32cal versions (there are 4 total). Granted with store bought ammo, it will only go to 115gr, but IIRC, I believe that there are 125-130grs w/ hardcast. Also, w/ the SP101, it becomes a J-frame sized 6 shooter and a 7 shot in the GP100.

Regarding using it as a PD weapon, contingent upon your ability to "rounds on target", I wouldn't feel undergunned with it. After all, S&W sold (and still does) market their J-framed 38 specials, along with Ruger and others.

I've looked at these off and on. The .327 would make a great self defense piece- especially in the SP101. I'd have a hard time thinking it's really "better" than any similar revolver in .38 SPEC.

The one I fired definitely had a harsh and sharp bark to it and accuracy was only so-so. I'd be fine packing one though. In its self defense market niche, the long popular .38 is going to be tough to unseat.

I think Ruger and Federal missed the boat on this round.... the .327 really needs a nice carbine....like the 77/327 or a 96/327...or better yet, a Marlin 1894.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

The blame thing has a pressure max of 45,000 psi. No wonder it's a handful, and nsy.

357 is 35,000 psi.

I think I'd prefer the 32 H&R, as more practical. If you need 357 power get a 357.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

thanks, all. we went and got an sp101 in 357 and will start w/ 38 special and work up. cheers. j

The 327 Federal cartridge was an answer to a non-existant question.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

it amazes me that anyone thinks we need yet another cartridge for ANY reason. for God's sake; there are at least 974 calibers now, and i think a 22, a 270, a 338, and a 416 about cover everything from mice to charging water buffalo. anything in between those is starting to split frog hairs, imho. let the arguments begin.....

Quote Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
    ...anything in between those is starting to split frog hairs, imho....
    But it's so much fun! I'd rather spend my money on more guns than golf clubs or beer or ATVs.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

to each his/her own, and if you are into it i am sure it is a blast (pardon the pun). i like things simple; that fits my brain better. and, btw, queen hillary is going to be after those guns like stink on charging water buffalo droppings, so don't spend too much on them.

it amazes me that anyone thinks we need yet another cartridge for ANY reason. for God's sake; there are at least 974 calibers now, and i think a 22, a 270, a 338, and a 416 about cover everything from mice to charging water buffalo. anything in between those is starting to split frog hairs, imho. let the arguments begin.....
    I "need" my 500 Linebaugh and 325 wsm!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I can't warm up to a self defense round smaller than a 38/357/9mm and even though guns chambered in those rounds are my most frequent carry guns, nothing warms my heart like a 45.

That said, for a small game and varmint round I think the 327 in a good 6" revolver offers amazing flexibility of being downloaded to 22 rf levels with less expensive ammo, or being throttled up for longer range work.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

need to get rid of that 270 and get a 280...

(that's one reason to have more cartridges lol, and i gotta have my 45's)
    Josh
    In Egypt on the Sinai peninsula helping to take care of the ISIS problem.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    need to get rid of that 270 and get a 280...
    Absolutely. Could also, rebarrel.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Absolutely. Could also, rebarrel.
    Then there are "new" applications for old calibers. Every time I've handled a long 32, my brain has said "Why didn't they just go ahead and chamber this for the 25/20?"

In my twisted brain, a 25/20 revolver just might be the ultimate small game gun, if my experiences with the same in a lever are any indication. I really ought to get off the dime and start talking to my favorite smith. Sure, I could just buy a 22, but where's the fun in that?
    Merle Haggard