Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Salcha and Chena Kings

Default Salcha and Chena Kings

I heard a rumor that the Kings are being caught in the Salcha and the Chena. Anyone else hear this or know of something? Seems a bit early.

dunno about you but it's that time for sure. By the 10th or so it was on. Atleast that is what I noticed at the counting station when I worked in the park. You can look at historic numbers on fish and games web page for the chena and I believe salcha and get. Typically around the end of the first week of july is what I remembered. The historic figures will give you a better idea though.

And remember the counter is at the chena lakes, that means when it spikes there there's been fish in the lower river for atleast a day or two maybe longer depending on water conditions.

Default not yet

I fished the mouth for a few hours this morning and didn't have any luck, nor did any of the other boats that were out there. The fish finder didn't pick up all that many fish either, so maybee it's just a little early yet.

Default Two kings caught at the golf course

A couple Army buds pulled in a couple kings at the golf course on Wainwright last week. They are there. I am not sure in what numbers, but a couple have been caught.

Quote Originally Posted by AFHunter View Post
    A couple Army buds pulled in a couple kings at the golf course on Wainwright last week. They are there. I am not sure in what numbers, but a couple have been caught.
    Are any of these fish worth eating this far up?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    Are any of these fish worth eating this far up?

Brian
    Nasty, I won't even feed them to my dogs. Although many do.

Default Nasty?

I am not ashamed to have harvested kings from the Salcha river. Yes they were not salt water fresh chromers, but the flesh was firm and ok to eat.

Those dirty dark gross ole boots are perfect to feed at the next block party. I bet some will go back for a 2nd serving.

Yum

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default be selective

granted many of the fish are past there prime, but believe it or not I have seen decent still mostly silver fish come from this river during the first half of the season near the mouth. some of the kings are headed for the head waters of the chena, and still have over 1 hundred miles to go. Catch them near the mouth, and be selective, and you might be suprised.

Besides catch and release kings in your own backyard is alot cheaper then a two or three hundred mile drive, and alot more fun than not fishing at all.

Question What would you feed your dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by aksalcha View Post
    Nasty, I won't even feed them to my dogs. Although many do.

I have eaten many kings from the chena and they are still good! Maybee near the end of the run some might not be in the best of shape but hey you could always throw them back! I haven't seem anyone fishing at the mouth pull one in and say Nasty! then throw them back.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Benwa View Post
    I have eaten many kings from the chena and they are still good! Maybee near the end of the run some might not be in the best of shape but hey you could always throw them back! I haven't seem anyone fishing at the mouth pull one in and say Nasty! then throw them back.
    I guess you weren't there when I have been fishing. Anywho, was just my opinion. I will fish for them on my grayling rod for the fun. They always go back in for the next guy to eat..........I usually have prime stuff in the freezer. I guess if I was hungry I would eat one.

Back in the day (WW Danag Era) when we used to fish Munson Slough near Salcha, we pulled some pretty nice and silver fish out. Granted, its not like a Kenai king, but like it was stated before, its not a 10 hour drive to get to the river. Smoke em up and they taste fine, throw them back and the spawn, sounds like a win/win to me.

Default Would you eat this?

Salcha kings are not any worse off then some of the kings Ive seen harvested out of the Copper, Klutina, Mat-Su Valley, or even from the Kenai.

TSS

Wink Nice Ruger

It looks like you are close to Rich bridge, so is that side arm for protection against the locals or just to look cool? j/K That is a very nice King for the smoker, but I've pulled some out of there and the Chena that looked blushed like that, but had almost whitish meat....yuk! Ya never know until you cut them open!! Like another posted said, it's better than driving over 600 miles for a for a similar fish!! Anyway...nice fish Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by FishnMan View Post
    It looks like you are close to Rich bridge, so is that side arm for protection against the locals or just to look cool? j/K That is a very nice King for the smoker, but I've pulled some out of there and the Chena that looked blushed like that, but had almost whitish meat....yuk! Ya never know until you cut them open!! Like another posted said, it's better than driving over 600 miles for a for a similar fish!! Anyway...nice fish Jedi
    Just trying to look cool, you know how them locals can get (IE do not bring a knife to a gun fight). Besides my light saber was in the repair shop so I took my six shooter.

I was just above Jim's property (Munson Slough area), this picture was from 2003. Jim has seen many a brown bear in the area. Since my daughters were out fishing with me on this day...I thought better safe than sorry with the what my father-in-law calls "security".

You can not access this spot on the Salcha by foot any longer without Jim's permission. He as the area posted.

TSS
    Last edited by JediMasterSalmonSlayer; 07-11-2007 at 13:05. Reason: Note added about respecting property along the salcha

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post

Salcha kings are not any worse off then some of the kings Ive seen harvested out of the Copper, Klutina, Mat-Su Valley, or even from the Kenai.

TSS
    You asked would I eat that...answere... probably not, well most likely not.

Yep there's baars in them there woods. Had some trigger prep on a couple (blacks)that were mighty brave around my cabin in that neck of the woods. Never did have to kill one. Best to be prepared, eh!

Default Totally Agree

I remember the days of walking out on the Munson Slough trail...always guaged fishing by the density of vehicles in the parking lot turnout across from the trailhead...lol Also seen a griz in there once. So, did "Jim" suddenly decide to restrict access or was that land recently purchased and then posted?

Default Munsons Slough

I am interested in fishing around that area. I have heard lots talk about it but I have never seen a trail or anything. Is there public access through the slough?

Default Fished Salcha today

I did not catch any, but I saw 5 caught near me in about a 2 hour period. All real good size. Fished on the gravel bar downstream of the bridge.

You sure have that Jedi "reach" prit'near perfected!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

they are starting to catch them in the Chena, but I know nothing of the Salcha...anybody know anything? Going out tonight.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast