Thread: Felt recoil

Default Felt recoil

I have a Ruger Toklat (454 Casull) and looking to get some Buffalo Bore ammo. For those of you who have used their ammo, which round will have the greater amount of felt recoil:

360gr at 1,425 ft/sec

325gr at 1,525 ft/sec

I looked at various recoil calculators but they required me to provide the grains of powder which I have no idea what it is.

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php

At that level I could not tell a difference in my Alaskan,you know right then the primer worked.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I haven't shot those loads, but have shot similar loads. The recoil of both loads is going to be substantial. What I've found is that the lighter faster moving bullets tend to have a snappier recoil, but those loads are going to be pretty close to each other.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Strangely enough, I just checked the stats on the Magtech ammo I've been using at the range. It is 240gr with a muzzle velocity of 1,771 FPS and muzzle energy of 1,672 ft lbs. That's higher than the BB 360gr at 1,425 FPS which has a muzzle energy of 1,623 ft lbs. The BB 325gr produces a ME of 1678 ft lbs., the highest of the three.

http://www.magtechammunition.com/products/view-product?id=59

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...ct_detail&p=60

Correct me if I'm wrong...shouldn't the BB 360gr bullet have a recoil slightly less than the Magtech 240gr?

In truth my body can't tell slightly. But the mag tech to did feel easier recoil wise than the BB or HMS. Its all about what pressure to load is.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

As a sidebar this this thread....I'm deciding between getting the Buffalo Bore 360gr or the Underwood 360gr. Both are hardcast. The Buffalo Bore is much more expensive.

Which would you suggest, the UW or BB?

For the price Underwood is very good ammo as well as HMS.

I'm betting that that 325 grain bullet loaded to 1150-1200 would out penetrate the same bullet going 1700 fps. They will in 45-70. Just food for thought.