Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dream moose hunt.

Default Dream moose hunt.

If you had the opportunity to do a fly in hunt anywhere in the state where would you go? No looking for exact drainages but general areas.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Northwest Arctic on Selawik or up the Noatak. Really would like to get to the hotsprings next to Kobuk Valley Sand Dunes. I saw some real freaks up there.

Thanks Kobuk!
    Any others? Nw outta Kotz? Nome? Dillingham? King Salmon? Ak penn? Out east Tok?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Some world record quality bulls taken in the 40 mile country. I would head NW or SW Alaska.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Your not being very specific. Does a dream hunt have to be a fly in?
    Currently, about the best moose hunting in the state is in Unit 18. The area between Holy Cross on the Yukon and Aniak on the Kusko and west of there. I think a guy could fly commercial to Holy Cross, put in an infalteable, and float the Yukon and side sloughs to any village down river from there and do pretty good. There are drop hunts available out of Bethel.
    Check out unit 18!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks Mike! Great idea! It doesn't have to be "fly in" per se but flying either commercial to a location like you mentioned and then either floating or chartering a bush plane is the thought though.

I'd say north of Kotz is what holds my dreams. Been 4 times and can only hope for more. The first picture is from a camp my FIL used to guide out of. It's from back in the day when non-residents were over the counter before the draw only. Seems with the lighter hunting pressure there are huge bulls dieing of old age all over that countryside if they can fend off the Grizzlies and wolves--of which there are plenty.

The second picture is my bull from Saturday. We could have held out for larger as we have seen wider in that area, but the weather forecast was turning poor, and mostly I thought he was beautiful plus the way he came right in on us made the scenario too perfect.

Love that country above Kotz. Would like to hunt Nome area sometime,many would do the Koyukuk again if I drew the trophy permit. We did it last year and was an awesome year--but cutting paddles is just too painful.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

For me its Elmendorf/Fort Rich

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wildwill View Post
    I'd say north of Kotz is what holds my dreams. Been 4 times and can only hope for more. The first picture is from a camp my FIL used to guide out of. It's from back in the day when non-residents were over the counter before the draw only. Seems with the lighter hunting pressure there are huge bulls dieing of old age all over that countryside if they can fend off the Grizzlies and wolves--of which there are plenty.

The second picture is my bull from Saturday. We could have held out for larger as we have seen wider in that area, but the weather forecast was turning poor, and mostly I thought he was beautiful plus the way he came right in on us made the scenario too perfect.

Love that country above Kotz. Would like to hunt Nome area sometime,many would do the Koyukuk again if I drew the trophy permit. We did it last year and was an awesome year--but cutting paddles is just too painful.
    Agree with north of Kotz... Noataak drainages!

After 2 trips up the Koyukuk I would go back there if I ever get another boat. Lots of moose, big moose, but lots of hunters. The no air plane use levels the playing field as guys can't fly and relay locations of the big moose.

So a big one can walk out any where and they can be spotted from the boat on the countless sand and gravel bars on the Yukon and Koyukuk. By big I mean the chances of a 60" or better moose are good there.

The interior of Alaska is hard to beat for big moose as long as to many air planes don't visit where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    If you had the opportunity to do a fly in hunt anywhere in the state where would you go? No looking for exact drainages but general areas.
    Actually if I had the choice it would have been around 30 years ago, and I would have opted for a horse trip up into the Tustumena bench trophy area. Wouldn't want to do it now though as there are more bears than moose up there now. Hopefully that is changing....

I know that wasn't what you're looking for buddy but I couldn't resist. Oh the stories I have heard about up on that bench!...(sadly though, about back in the day).

Oh, but btw....if "tlingitworrior" wouldn't invite me to his moose camp I'd for sure follow "338 mag" up there....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Your not being very specific. Does a dream hunt have to be a fly in?
    Currently, about the best moose hunting in the state is in Unit 18. The area between Holy Cross on the Yukon and Aniak on the Kusko and west of there. I think a guy could fly commercial to Holy Cross, put in an infalteable, and float the Yukon and side sloughs to any village down river from there and do pretty good. There are drop hunts available out of Bethel.
    Check out unit 18!
    Good
    Hunting in Unit 18 as in Unit 21. I didn't know anyone in Holy that went down river. They all went either up a little ways or across to the Innoko. Might have been b/c of native corporation lands. We'd also get a lot of guys from Russian Mission coming up. I do not think there was that much pressure between Holy and Russian.

I do know if I could hunt any part of the state, I'd hit unit 21, 19, or 18. I currently live in Unit 17, and I hope to head up the Nush this fall.

Well I can tell what part of the state gets minimal moose hunting pressure based off this thread.
    But yes all the above mention are the best places. Look no further. Go there. Nowhere else...

Psssst your welcome Cordova I didn't let the secret out!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I would say somewhere in Russia, possibly on the Kamchatka Peninsula...

If I knew where the pot of gold was, I certainly wouldn't tell it here. That being said, I have a few places I would like to look if I had the cash.

Mouth of the Yukon moose populations are STRONG!! Logistics are tough, but the moose sure are there.

Quote Originally Posted by Seafish View Post
    I would say somewhere in Russia, possibly on the Kamchatka Peninsula...
    Naw....too many bears there too....

X 2. You know, I've dreamed about this area since the early 80's. 1st trip was. 2011, 2nd, 2013, 3rd 2015, god willing 4th 2017.

Never forget your dreams! Some day you might just get the chance to live that dream...

Just awesome each each and every time - but not without its challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    After 2 trips up the Koyukuk I would go back there if I ever get another boat. Lots of moose, big moose, but lots of hunters. The no air plane use levels the playing field as guys can't fly and relay locations of the big moose.

So a big one can walk out any where and they can be spotted from the boat on the countless sand and gravel bars on the Yukon and Koyukuk. By big I mean the chances of a 60" or better moose are good there.

The interior of Alaska is hard to beat for big moose as long as to many air planes don't visit where you are.
    Tony

I hunted The Tustumena bench back in 91. it was amazing! my bull was 61" and my brothers was 57". We saw plenty of other bulls before the season opened and just took the first two when the season opened. My parents, uncle and cousin hunted this area as far back as the early 70's and it was a moose paradise. All different up there now after the beetle kill and fires. hopefully in a few years it will be good again.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN B View Post
    I hunted The Tustumena bench back in 91. it was amazing! my bull was 61" and my brothers was 57". We saw plenty of other bulls before the season opened and just took the first two when the season opened. My parents, uncle and cousin hunted this area as far back as the early 70's and it was a moose paradise. All different up there now after the beetle kill and fires. hopefully in a few years it will be good again.
    If you haven't picked up the book "Alaska's #1 guide, The History and Journals of Andrew Berg 1869-1939" I encourage you to do so. It's all about that area and how it used to be. Great book!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast