Thread: Dream moose hunt.

Default Dream moose hunt.

If you had the opportunity to do a fly in hunt anywhere in the state where would you go? No looking for exact drainages but general areas.

Northwest Arctic on Selawik or up the Noatak. Really would like to get to the hotsprings next to Kobuk Valley Sand Dunes. I saw some real freaks up there.

Thanks Kobuk!
    Any others? Nw outta Kotz? Nome? Dillingham? King Salmon? Ak penn? Out east Tok?

Some world record quality bulls taken in the 40 mile country. I would head NW or SW Alaska.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Your not being very specific. Does a dream hunt have to be a fly in?
    Currently, about the best moose hunting in the state is in Unit 18. The area between Holy Cross on the Yukon and Aniak on the Kusko and west of there. I think a guy could fly commercial to Holy Cross, put in an infalteable, and float the Yukon and side sloughs to any village down river from there and do pretty good. There are drop hunts available out of Bethel.
    Check out unit 18!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks Mike! Great idea! It doesn't have to be "fly in" per se but flying either commercial to a location like you mentioned and then either floating or chartering a bush plane is the thought though.

I'd say north of Kotz is what holds my dreams. Been 4 times and can only hope for more. The first picture is from a camp my FIL used to guide out of. It's from back in the day when non-residents were over the counter before the draw only. Seems with the lighter hunting pressure there are huge bulls dieing of old age all over that countryside if they can fend off the Grizzlies and wolves--of which there are plenty.

The second picture is my bull from Saturday. We could have held out for larger as we have seen wider in that area, but the weather forecast was turning poor, and mostly I thought he was beautiful plus the way he came right in on us made the scenario too perfect.

Love that country above Kotz. Would like to hunt Nome area sometime,many would do the Koyukuk again if I drew the trophy permit. We did it last year and was an awesome year--but cutting paddles is just too painful.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.