Thread: What drainage is this........Rabbit Creek......or ?????

Default What drainage is this........Rabbit Creek......or ?????

Yup, Ptarmigan, North Suicide and South Suicide peaks.

Thank you..........where would you park to hike that valley starting as high as possible.......??? Or would McHugh Creek trail be faster.........???

Quote Originally Posted by Altiholic View Post
    Yup, Ptarmigan, North Suicide and South Suicide peaks.

Start at the Rabbit Lake trailhead at the top of Canyon Road off of Upper DeArmoun. You can come over the top from McHugh in probably about the same time though but will require a lot more climbing.

This photo is from that area........what is this....Is it a wind-break for a tent......???

Not sure where that photo is from exactly. It looks too small for anything like a tent unless it was a really small tent. More likely it is just a wind break from people adding rocks over time. Not uncommon in popular hiking areas, even places like on top of Flattop.

Thanks........think there is a chance they are from WWII, as observation and gun emplacements for observing invasion via Cook Inlet....???

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Not sure where that photo is from exactly. It looks too small for anything like a tent unless it was a really small tent. More likely it is just a wind break from people adding rocks over time. Not uncommon in popular hiking areas, even places like on top of Flattop.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Thanks........think there is a chance they are from WWII, as observation and gun emplacements for observing invasion via Cook Inlet....???
    I would seriously doubt that. It is a long ways from Cook Inlet. As I mentioned above, it is common to see these kinds of piles of rocks in a number of places where people just keep adding to them when they hike up there for the fun of it and to make a wind block since it is frequently windy up high.

Does the trail to Rabbit Lake run down near, alongside the creek, or up higher,,,,,,,,???

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Does the trail to Rabbit Lake run down near, alongside the creek, or up higher,,,,,,,,???
    It stays a little distance up the north side of the valley for most of the way up, but them comes down along the creek right as you get to the lake in the last half mile or so.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I would seriously doubt that. It is a long ways from Cook Inlet. As I mentioned above, it is common to see these kinds of piles of rocks in a number of places where people just keep adding to them when they hike up there for the fun of it and to make a wind block since it is frequently windy up high.
    The picture for darn sure ain't the same pile, but I got ahead of myself 30 years ago and got caught in a storm when I was just behind Flattop. Scurried to a similar pile and added a layer to the top and hunkered down out of the wind for 4-5 hours. Saw a similar pile up there as recently as mid-August. These are hiker-built "temporary" monuments.
    Tick tock, Tick tock, the Texas Clock