Thread: Deer hunting recommendations

Default Deer hunting recommendations

Good afternoon all. I'm looking into doing some deer hunting this fall and I'm looking for input or recommendations. Like fly in to afognak or drive the Cordova road system. I would love some input on what has worked for others.

Budget and time are the huge drivers of deer hunting decisions in Alaska. The best hunting is usually more expensive. What's your budget and how much time do you have? Do you want numbers, trophy quality, solitude, or...?

For time I can do 4-7 days. I'm looking to put some meat in the freezer and I never look to really beak the bank but I'm pretty flexible since I had some other things fall through.

Theres lots of options for deer and they are all fun. If you are looking for a little more money but worth every penny check out Raspberry island lodge. Free beer, hot tub great food and daily transport around raspberry and afognak Island. A cheeper alternative is the trail system out of Port lions, you can take the ferry down and ride your wheeler right on and off the ferry there but you have to get back far enough to be off the road system. There are also boat based hunts out of kodiak that are really productive. I havnt herd about it this year but I know last year there was a big boat that you could get on out of whitier but I dont know uch about that one. I have never herd of any luck on any of the road systems up here save for kodiak and south east. If you have your own zodiak you can ferry with your truck and go to the end of the road in Kodiak and hunt the bay there but you have to be a few miles inside the bay to be outside the road system. I say zodiak because you can put it in your truck and not have to pay the extra money to pull a boat however that is another route. This year as far as I have seen seem to be good deer numbers in the sound and I have herd good things from Kodiak as well.

Several of the Halibut Charters out of Homer, with large boats that have all the facilities (bunks, galley, head) used to be licensed to operate as Transporters and usually ran a 6 night, 7 day charter. I have no idea if any of them are still doing that, nor how much they would charge, but you might do some on-line research if that mode appeals to you. I can't speak for any of them now, but "back when" a boat transporter furnished a dry bunk, a warm breakfast, a sack lunch, and pretty much a feast for the evening meal. They put you ashore with a buddy in the AM, and picked you up when you signaled you were ready to return to the boat. Some of them picked you up and delivered you back to the Kodiak airport. Some of the transporters that worked the Southern end of the island did things a little differently....

I've done the trail system out of port lions,you'll do way better if you have a local friend that can show you around. I suggest contacting the larsons who have alaska premier sport fishing and own the wilderness beach lodge in port lions. Awesome lodge,great food and they know their way around pretty dang well