Thread: Spotting scope for hunting, more portable the better

Default Spotting scope for hunting, more portable the better

I am looking for a spotting scope and I have a hard time trying to justify something over $1,000 on something that won't get used as much as it should (so less than $1,000, but less than $500 is even better). I am also looking for something that is one the portable side (lightweight and compact) maybe it should have a 45 deg eyepiece but I am not set on that attribute. I would also like something that has a Rainguard coating on it (or what ever the manufacturer calls it. Rainguard is Bushnell's coating). I live in soggy/dark Southeast Alaska. So who out there has something to recommend and why?

Sobie2

Have you thought about investing in a decent pair of 12X50 binos?
    I just sold a cabelas spotting scope I purchased. It was 15-45X and it just wasn't practical for my intended uses. My 8x42 binos are sufficient.
    I would like to pick up a pair of 12X50s for a little more power, and for anyone tagging along with out a pair to have.

The Nikon 20-60x82mm is what I bought a while ago. You can get none for $500-600 and I absolutely love it. You can get it with the angled or straight eyepiece, and we've found that it works extremely well in low light conditions with the big 82mm eyepiece. Extremely clear, durable and Nikon's service is great.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

I usually carry one of these in addition to my 10x42 bino's. Its lightweight and doesn't take up much room.

I purchased a Vortex Razor 16-48x65 and have used it a lot this summer and fall and it has been fantastic. They just came out with a new model so you can pick up the old model at a really good price right now. If you are looking for cheaper and lighter my previous scope was a leupold gold ring compact 15-30 and it was also a good quality scope. When looking between the two, the vortex does a much better job, but it also weighs and costs twice as much. I would recommend either one to a friend, just depends on individual needs.

Leupold gold ring HD 15-40. I think you can find them for around a grand if you look but well worth the money, great scope light weight and smaller than most. I have alost ten years on mine and dont plan to upgrade any time soon as I see no reason.

I have been considering one of these:
    http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...tactical-scope
    It has some good reviews. Any one have experience with this or something similar?

Take a look at the Nikon ED50. It's a fine little scope, weighs about 20 oz. and has extremely good optics. You can pick them up used for less than $500. They usually come with a 13-30x MC1 zoom eyepiece, if you can find one with a 13-40x MC2 that's even better although it adds a bit more weight.

I recently read somewhere that "Good optics cost nothing and weight nothing", while we all know thats not true, it is a point to ponder. A few years back I bought a MINOX, I am not exactly sure what model or if still current, It is a 20-45X. It seems to be a good size for compact and portable.
    Some questions you might want to consider, is it for sheep hunting (maybe goat, having never done that I dont know whats needed).
    Recently we were in AK range & spent the day looking a set of Dall ram horns, at ~ 1-1/4 mile I could never definitively determine if it was a legal ram.
    It was difficult to get much closer and we spent some effort trying. I wished I had better optics, either more powerful or better glass.
    In the end we decided they may have well been on the moon.

I am not unhappy with the Minox and I think I spent less than 5 bills on it. It has a angled eyepiece which is convenient for field work IMO.

The rubber eye cup is rather inconvenient as it is a bit of pain to roll out of the way, and I eneded up leaving it off. I wear glasses so eye cups are typically in the way for me. I was looking at a Swaro the other day and the eye cups would thread out of the way. Also the eyepiece had a large opening which seems to increase the range of view. With the Minox I feel like I am always trying to crawl inside the scope to see more.

I bought them sight unseen from a vendor here, and am not unhappy with them, however If I bought another pair I would take mine in so I could make a direct comparison.

Also get a good tripod with a micro adjustment for small adjustments.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

What do you want this scope for? If it's for use in the soggy dark, then a large objective would do you a world of good. Good glass can't work if there isn't enough light to see. If you're looking to gauge age/legality of sheep, the better the glass the happier you will be. I spent less than $500 on my Vortex, and while they are good for birding and glassing in open areas, I don't think I would be happy with them while trying to count growth rings or deciding if that full curl was really 7/8. I haven't had my hands on one yet, but these Maven binoculars and scopes are getting rave reviews. Direct to consumer, so no retail markup. If you really want a cheaper scope, then PM me and I'll give you a deal on that Vortex.
    Uisce Beatha
    Harbercraft Discovery 2025 HT

I have the Leupold Gold Ring HD 12-40x60, it's been good for moose. I think if I were sheep hunting I would want more power and bigger objective. It is very compact and that is what I was looking for. It works for my needs.

I have a Vortex Nomad 20x60x60 and love it. The nomad is a few years old and the diamondback took its place. You are able to pick up a diamondback 20x60x60 angled or straight from cabelas for around $400. Another big reason I go with vortex is the warranty. My buddies eye piece broke 2 weeks before our sheep hunt. He called them and they told him to send it next day so he sent it out on Monday and got it back as good as new on Thursday. The only thing it costed him was the shipping to vortex.

Your post says portability is imperative..
    I've had the Vortex Razor HD 11x33x50 (w/ straight eye piece) for 2 yrs now. (Comes in a 45* eye piece as well). I absolutely love it. Compact, lightweight, clear, waterproof, etc....
    It felt like we walked all over Idaho whitetail hunting last year, packing it around. Never cumbersome like others I've had.
    Moose and caribou hunting with it is a breeze. We'll leave it attached to shooting sticks and just stop and use it instead of binos sometimes..
    I can't recommend it enough. $699 at most places, low to mid 5's if you shop around. The great quality for that price is pretty nice...

Quote Originally Posted by brio View Post
    Take a look at the Nikon ED50. It's a fine little scope, weighs about 20 oz. and has extremely good optics. You can pick them up used for less than $500. They usually come with a 13-30x MC1 zoom eyepiece, if you can find one with a 13-40x MC2 that's even better although it adds a bit more weight.
    This is what I use and it's awesome! Great optics and it's very light weight.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."