Thread: RB300 fall hunt

Default RB300 fall hunt

Has anybody been down chasing brown bears yet? I was thinking of going and giving this a try when I get back from the slope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bueller? Anyone?

Haven't been out yet myself but the timing should be good for you. Find the dead salmon that are starting to pile up. Not sure where you're headed exactly but it's been pretty busy on the Kenai in the Refuge section and I haven't heard of any brownies out during the day from my guide buddies. Hiking back in the tributaries is probably the best bet. The water's dropping, or was at least before it started raining, so they should be out scavenging. I'll be out in a couple weeks around the house. Didn't get to moose hunt, home ownership sucks sometimes, but maybe I'll save a few for next year by shooting a brownie.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

I seen one small one last week. I'm not picky and would have gone after it but it was moving at a steady pace away from me

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Going to be heading down this Friday, likely Mystery Creek area

I saw fresh tracks on Sunday down a trail I was on. Looked to be eight ft plus. I'll be out looking in the next few weeks.
    I talked to another fella that saw one just b4 dark on the shores of Tusty recently.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    I saw fresh tracks on Sunday down a trail I was on. Looked to be eight ft plus. I'll be out looking in the next few weeks.
    I talked to another fella that saw one just b4 dark on the shores of Tusty recently.
    Thanks for the updates. I will report back after my hunt. In the meantime keep em coming, I would think the bears are out and looking for food.

Last weekend my wife and I stayed at one of the forest service cabins on the Kenai Peninsula. It was our anniversary trip celebrating 15 years of marriage. We saw the largest brown bear either of us had ever seen. He was a couple hundred yards above the alders eating berries. We stalked him but he started moving in and out of the alders. The last place we saw him was about 330 yards from where we were. Unfortunately he got away. I really wanted that bear. Maybe next year.

i think your best luck may come from alpine areas this time of year. i took my rb300 brown bear a couple years ago off blue berries. 7.5ft sow and she was hoovering up berries like it was her job. get back and get high and you'll get a good chance, not to mention that's where the blackies will be too, so that'll double your chances.

Any recent reports? I am heading down Friday with my father in law to try and fill my tag.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone131 View Post
    Any recent reports? I am heading down Friday with my father in law to try and fill my tag.
    Fuller lakes trail, saw a dandy above the lower lake Friday evening. Didn't have time before dark to pursue. I'm probably done for the year, so enjoy and good luck.

Default RB300 fall hunt

Went down yesterday for a day hunt with my father in law. Ended up seeing one good sized bear but he was like a mile up a very high slope and it would have been an all day hike to get to him. I decided to pass. He was above tree line and appeared to be looking for roots or berries, I couldn't tell which. I wanna get back and go again before it snows I hope.

I talked to Jeff Selinger today. The 2016 quota (January to December) is a total take of 50 to 60 bears; of which not more than 8 to 12 can be adult sows. As of lunchtime today he was at 47 total, 3 of which were adult sows. He said he doesn't want to close the hunt but may have to. Anyone hunting from now on should be sure to call ahead of time to make sure it is still open. The quota starts over on January 1 so spring hunts would not be affected.

Jeff said he is concerned about the number of subadult females that are being killed because that obviously affects recruitment. As AGL4Now has observed, few of us treat this like a trophy hunt and kill the first bears we see and that probably explains the high take of subadult females.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBC View Post
    I talked to Jeff Selinger today. The 2016 quota (January to December) is a total take of 50 to 60 bears; of which not more than 8 to 12 can be adult sows. As of lunchtime today he was at 47 total, 3 of which were adult sows. He said he doesn't want to close the hunt but may have to. Anyone hunting from now on should be sure to call ahead of time to make sure it is still open. The quota starts over on January 1 so spring hunts would not be affected.

Jeff said he is concerned about the number of subadult females that are being killed because that obviously affects recruitment. As AGL4Now has observed, few of us treat this like a trophy hunt and kill the first bears we see and that probably explains the high take of subadult females.

Jeff is with the Feds or State?

State F&G on k-beach road

Quote Originally Posted by AKBC View Post
    I talked to Jeff Selinger today. The 2016 quota (January to December) is a total take of 50 to 60 bears; of which not more than 8 to 12 can be adult sows.
    Sheeshe..... I have to ask, if anybody actually knows the answer, what does this mean exactly? Does it mean that once it reaches 50 it will be closed to take into consideration that more hunters may yet be out in the field when that mark is met that still could bring in more bears? Or will they just decide later if it's 50 or 60? Same with the sows?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!