Thread: PWS

Default PWS

I am thinking about taking relatives out of Whittier for some Red fishing. I've read the thread about Coghill and also saw someone mention Main Bay. Where is Main Bay?
    Anyone have any other suggestions for some good fishing there?

Thanks

I fished in Coghill River on July 7th and came back with nothing. Although we didn't make it all the way to the wier, we fished pretty hard about 1 mile from the saltwater. We didn't see a commercial boat anywhere in Port Wells even with the opening until 8am on the 7th which leads me to believe the reds have already peaked on the Coghill.

Main bay is about 26 miles from Whitter. Go down through Culross pass then cross Port Nile Juan (11 o'clockish) go around the land and you will see it on you r right.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thanks for the help. See you out there.

Default Cog HIll

was there today, not on shore though. but looked pretty slow and only saw one jump.

Watch your pots closely. at the docks one boat had everything stolen, my boat builder had everything stolen. He even went and bought new and went back a few days later and had another one stolen. His first go around was at PIGOT PIONT AREA. so be carefull and keep an eye peeled. no he didn't just lose them, he has been out there for 20 years. He is not a happy camper. The guy at the docks said he is going to buy bouys and line just hook on a rock. Then sit and wait with he rifle on shore. Sounded pretty funny talking to him. But I think he was dead serious.

Default Reds

I was in Main Bay last year - there is a hatchery in Main Bay, so there are a lot of fish schooled up. We used snag hooks and came away with 4. Buddy of mine (and friends) got 13. You have to watch for boats and nets in the area.

Default Coghill Salmon Fest

Just got back in from Coghill. We fished below the wier from 11am to 1pm and only managed to land eleven. Upon hookup, they exploded from the river like silvers on crack. Hooked nearly 50. We caught mostly bucks. Biggest reds I've ever seen. Not sure the run is quite over yet.

Warning: A commercial opener is just about to begin for the next two days at Coghill. See below from the ADF&G comm fish site:

COGHILL DISTRICT: The Coghill District north of 60 46.32' N. Lat. and east of a line from Pt. Pigot (60 48.21' N. Lat., 148 20.90' W. Long.) to Pt. Pakenham (61 00.259 N. Lat., 148 05.319 W. Long.), excluding the Wally Noerenburg Hatchery SHA and THA will open for a 48 hour period from 8:00 am on Monday, July 9 until 8:00 am on Wednesday, July 11. Anadromous stream closures, (5AAC 39.290(a)) will not be in effect during these periods for the Coghill Lagoon, with commercial fishing permitted up to the river mouth. The harvest from the July 2 opening was 117,686 chum and 27,728 sockeye salmon with 358 deliveries reported. The cumulative harvest is 68,621 sockeye, and 707,420 chum salmon. Harvest numbers from the period that ended this morning are not available. The Coghill weir has passed a total of 19,176 sockeye salmon versus an anticipated count of 11,478 salmon. PWSAC has reported harvesting 667,012 chum salmon for cost recovery at WNH. PWSAC intends to harvest 795,000 (42.0%) of the forecast (1,892,000 chum salmon) returning to this facility for cost recovery.

Default Main Bay

Just got back from Main Bay this weekend. 6 on Saturday and limited out last night in about 20 minutes (12 fish). Actually had the area to ourselves! Best time in on the incoming tide. My GPS says it is 37 miles from Whittier to the back of Main Bay.

We also did our limit on Halibut too, while watching 2 whales breaching for about an hour.

Be mindful of the comerciual guys! Give them a wide berth!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

We were in Main Bay Friday and Saturday. Lots of boats, but more fish. We had no trouble geting our six per person.

Default Coghill

ADF&G issued an emergency order # 2-RS-6-24-07 raising the limit to 12 A DAY.
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 04-27-2008 at 15:10.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    Thanks for the info
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    Too bad it is just Coghill and not Main Bay too. Coghill sounds slow.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/