Thread: Using Levitator raft to haul ATV across river?

Default Using Levitator raft to haul ATV across river?

Anyone ever try to use the Levitator or something similar to haul an ATV across a river? I know structurally the rafts can support it, but unsure if its feasible with the load shifting etc. Curious as to any thoughts.

the people that use rafts should be able to help with problem SID

Understood. I posted in the raft forum as well. Just wanted a variety of opinions. I use both canoes and rafts and respect the knowledge of both users. Thanks though.

I'd try it on a lake first. Watch your weight and load height.
    Your going to need a sheet of plywood.

I would definitely start small then go big: lake, class I, class II, top out at III. Since this is the canoe forum (though KaBoats are talked about a great deal here and those are more raft than canoe, I do love my KaBoat and use it extensively) I have had the other idea about utilizing two canoes as pontoons and assembling a platform in the field. Any one have thoughts on that?

Quote Originally Posted by alaska80 View Post
    I would definitely start small then go big: lake, class I, class II, top out at III. Since this is the canoe forum (though KaBoats are talked about a great deal here and those are more raft than canoe, I do love my KaBoat and use it extensively) I have had the other idea about utilizing two canoes as pontoons and assembling a platform in the field. Any one have thoughts on that?
    That seems like a far better option than using a single craft like a Levitator. Any big cataraft would probably have a wide enough beam to keep the center of gravity inside the base of support. A pair of canoes would be pretty much the same. You can lash to a custom frame to get the width you need. Of course that stability comes at a price, which is much decreased maneuverability.

The same problems your facing using a raft to hall ATV across a river people had moving wagons across rivers and lakes. Instead of trying to reinvent the raft make a raft out of barrows and wood. Simple, cheep and effective, what more is there?