Thread: Big Winds in Forecast

Default Big Winds in Forecast

Check your tiedowns, looks like big winds starting Tues, foecast it for up to 40 in Anchorage (85 on the Hillside) Weds.

Just flew in to MRI last night...doesn't look like I will be leaving before Wednesday at the earliest based on the weather forecast...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Times have changed. Alaskans didn't used to think 40mph was big wind. Especially in September. I'm more concerned with the local flood advisory. The MatSu rivers are already running high. I'd like to get through fall without flood damage.

While I certainly wouldn't choose to fly in 40 mph, I also recall when that wasn't big air....but it's bad enough.

I'm also concerned about flood advisories....not due to direct flooding, but because rising rivers may make the cabin un-reachable via ATV, which means no big/heavy supplies until next summer.
    Back in AK

New forecast is 50-55 in town for Tues Night and Weds, 90-100 for higher elevations. Marine wise: PWS 60kts and 17 feet, looks a big system.

I'm a new pilot/owner so perhaps I'm a bit cautious, figure if the winds are higher than lift off speed, I should start to worry.

Storms this time of year generally bring winds from the southeast. Turn your plane to favor nose to the east or southeast. Use good quality ropes. Inspect your earth anchors. Check your neighbor's tiedows upwind of you since those are your biggest threat. Wind estimates are usually overstated. Still best to be prepared. Turning a plane after the winds start isn't fun.

PS, Cubs need to be turned so the wind doesn't hit them from behind. A 40mph wind can fold the rear wing struts on a Cub. That'll ruin your day and your bank balance. If you find yourself in a bind and can't turn the plane to keep the wind off the tail, strap, lace, and duct tape a support brace like a 2x4 to the aft lift struts to keep them from bowing. If they don't flex they won't fold. I've watched a few Cub wings fold under and in an average storm like what's predicted for tonight it's completely preventable.

Turned mine around yesterday, thanks for the tips. Merrill is lucky in the fact wind seems to weaken around it.