Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: Shotguns these days?

  1. #1

    Default Shotguns these days?

    I have never been real big into shotguns, I can count on one hand the number of shotguns that I have owned in my life. When you find a bird gun that fits then the only time I have ever bought another is when I wore that one out or broke it.

    I got a new bird dog puppy this past week and I think I'll get a new scattergun to use in my old age. I was thinking along the lines of a CZ Redhead Premier. Any thoughts on the CZ shotguns?

  2. #2

    Default

    From a gunsmith's point of view: very Impressive and not too expensive. Very well made, just feels good in my hands.

  3. #3

    Default

    I'm gonna take a flier here, pointing in another direction for shotgunning. I've accumulated some dandies over the years and used heck out of them. But in the last 8-10 years they've ALL been gathering safe dust. That's cuzz about then I fell back on the evil ways of my youth.

    Up until we were required to stop using lead shot for waterfowl long ago, I did most of my bird hunting with muzzleloading doubles. Got so frustrated with the early alternatives to lead, I sold them off. But a few years back I finally found lead subs that I liked and picked up another muzzleloading double. Knocked heck out of my consumption of shotshells. In fact I haven't taken a bird or bunny with a modern shotgun since.

    Not saying you have to use a muzzleloader for everything, but to bend your mind about the fun involved, start browsing on this page. If possible, even see if you can get near some and handle them. Bird hunting with a good dog and muzzleloader is the perfect prescription for geezer fun!
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

  4. #4
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I have never been real big into shotguns, I can count on one hand the number of shotguns that I have owned in my life. When you find a bird gun that fits then the only time I have ever bought another is when I wore that one out or broke it.

    I got a new bird dog puppy this past week and I think I'll get a new scattergun to use in my old age. I was thinking along the lines of a CZ Redhead Premier. Any thoughts on the CZ shotguns?
    One of them in a 28 ga would be a fun gun to shoot birds over points for sure... I have a Ruger 20ga O/U that I have ruined a lot of birds days with. I shoot doves with a rem 1100 28 ga when I can...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    ...a Ruger 20ga O/U....
    That's a more "realistic" suggestion than my flier for a muzzleloader.

    I've handled the CZ Redhead in 20, and it's a club compared to the sleek Ruger 20, which is built on a smaller frame. My Ruger with its 26" barrels is probably my best all-around shotgun for carry, balance and quick shooting on upland game. Yet I used it in perfect happiness with 3" shells for ducks over decoys. Cross ducks off the list, and my sleeker and lighter Ruger 28 gauge is even better! You'll pay more for the Ruger for sure, but you get a whole lot more shotgun for your money in the bargain. Made in the US of A, too.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'm gonna take a flier here, pointing in another direction for shotgunning. I've accumulated some dandies over the years and used heck out of them. But in the last 8-10 years they've ALL been gathering safe dust. That's cuzz about then I fell back on the evil ways of my youth.

    Up until we were required to stop using lead shot for waterfowl long ago, I did most of my bird hunting with muzzleloading doubles. Got so frustrated with the early alternatives to lead, I sold them off. But a few years back I finally found lead subs that I liked and picked up another muzzleloading double. Knocked heck out of my consumption of shotshells. In fact I haven't taken a bird or bunny with a modern shotgun since.

    Not saying you have to use a muzzleloader for everything, but to bend your mind about the fun involved, start browsing on this page. If possible, even see if you can get near some and handle them. Bird hunting with a good dog and muzzleloader is the perfect prescription for geezer fun!
    I do have a TC New Englander with a shotgun barrel that has killed some birds. My younger brother has one just like it and we used to use them a couple of times a season....especially when we were eating pheasants every night for supper just to make room for more in the freezer. Possession limit is 12 birds and when your killing in the hundreds a season you eat a lot of pheasant, your relatives, friends and neighbors all eat a lot of pheasant. In fact some of the old folk in town and EKC loves old folk would get the good birds and I would even dress them and bag them. EKC got to eat the shot up ones. The old people would bring us canned goods, preserves and jams in good measure for the pheasants. We couldn't quit hunting...the dogs wouldn't have it. We did switch to smokepoles for a change of pace. I'm thinking I will still do that some however my brother is crippled now and can't walk with me so my hunts will never be like they were.

    I have not killed a pheasant in Iowa in several years. I would not be surprised if I whiff on a few. I killed 25 birds out of a box of 25 shells once upon a time ago using my little Franchi 48AL 20 ga. It had a an aluminum receiver and steel bolt. metalurgy wasn't as it is now and that gun ate itself up in few thousand rounds. Not much you can fix when the receiver is all ate out from bolt wear.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    ... my little Franchi 48AL 20 ga. It had a an aluminum receiver and steel bolt. metalurgy wasn't as it is now and that gun ate itself up in few thousand rounds. Not much you can fix when the receiver is all ate out from bolt wear.
    Back in that era I worked in a sporting goods store that sold a lot of guns. We got a shipment of a dozen of those sleek little things, and sold out in a week. Learned we would have to wait 6 months for the next shipment. Kinda fretted that, it was such a hot seller. About 2 weeks after we sold the last, the first came back for repairs. Over the span of 3 months we got back every stinking one. Blessed that 6 month delivery window, because we were able to cancel the shipment. Dodged that bullet!
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    That's a more "realistic" suggestion than my flier for a muzzleloader.

    I've handled the CZ Redhead in 20, and it's a club compared to the sleek Ruger 20, which is built on a smaller frame. My Ruger with its 26" barrels is probably my best all-around shotgun for carry, balance and quick shooting on upland game. Yet I used it in perfect happiness with 3" shells for ducks over decoys. Cross ducks off the list, and my sleeker and lighter Ruger 28 gauge is even better! You'll pay more for the Ruger for sure, but you get a whole lot more shotgun for your money in the bargain. Made in the US of A, too.
    I had one of those once. It would not shoot the second barrel. Back to Ruger and the rest of the season later I got it back only for it to duplicate the same problem the first trip out the next season.

    The CZ that I fondled at Brownells was the 20 gauge Red Head Premier model and it was as sleek as any Red Label and weighed 6lb 4oz. 26 inch barrels, had 5 different screw in chokes. Made in Kansas City USA. I would consider a 28 ga but have a couple cases of 20 ga high brass 6 shot....

    I would still consider a new 20 Ga Red Label if Ruger still made them.

  9. #9
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,496

    Default

    I believe the CZ shotguns are built in Turkey but Turkey is getting the hang of it. They have mechanical triggers a good thing. The twenty bore with 26" inch tubes is a bit heavy but not a lot. The used market on shotgun can be a nightmare. One man I trust 100% is Hill Rod and Gun who sells mostly Brit guns with some age. Ruger has dropped the shotgun. The Winchester 101 and 23 were some fine guns but prices get a bit nutz. For class I would fine a Winchester mod. 12 in sixteen guage,most times found at a bargain price. If you want choke tubes send the barrel to Carlsons and you are good to go. This is what I've been shooting the last eight years up here but with 24" chrome barrel they don't make any more.

    http://www.tristararms.com/products/...per-g2-silver/
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  10. #10

    Default

    Yup they are Turkey made and I remember reading it on the side of the the gun....one of them brain fart deals. They are made in the Huglu (I think) plant. I really liked the way it fit me. Some of them are heavy but 6 pounds 4 ounces as the Premier weighs feels real good only just a tad long for my 5'9" frame. I see they have a Redhead Premier undersized version. LOP is 13" which is 3/4 of an in short of perfect for me but it has 24 inch barrels and weighs a scant 6 lbs even. I could put a leather lace up recoil pad on it and have me a quick pointing shoot em fast gun. I kinda like that idea.

    I like that Tristar Will. My old buddy Woodrow"Woody" has one of those and shoots it well. Seems to be very well made and is light.

  11. #11
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,328

    Default

    My Ruger 20 has never let me down but I had a Ruger 12 that started to double on occasion and it spent some time in the Ruger hospital and when it came back I sold it as it always concerned me it would "go crazy" again someday when I had 2 - 3in stout loads in it....
    EKC ya know Ithica has a sweet little 28 in their model 37 still - ??? That is if'n you are not to old and rusty to jack it!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

  12. #12
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,496

    Default

    The 24" barrels are a hoot in the woodcock areas. Quick to start and stop the gun. The Morgan recoil pad is easy to fit to a butt stock but the action lace up pads are pretty good,hunters not so much.Six pounds give or take a few ounces is very good on a twenty.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  13. #13
    Member gunbugs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    I worked in a full line gunshop for over 20 years, so had the opportunity to handle a lot of different guns. We usually had about 800 in stock at any given time. After several years of handling O/U shotguns, I finally decided on a Browning Citori Gran Lightning 20ga 28". Still love the gun. Just "felt right". There is no substitute for quality. If you can't "afford" a nice gun, just save your pennies longer. You'll be glad you did.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

  14. #14
    Member 2dawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    EKC ya know Ithica has a sweet little 28 in their model 37 still - ??? That is if'n you are not to old and rusty to jack it!
    My dad has one of those in 12ga, I'm pretty sure the bluing is all but gone and it still runs like a top. I really like the bottom ejection port, about 2 decades ago we were in blinds and he missed his mallard. Of course, being the good son I was I went to snickering and laughing. I heard him rack it and the next thing I knew I was being hit with a spent shell at about 30'. When I looked up he was just smiling and muttered something about nothing ejects shells like an Ithica. Heck, he's only 76 and can still out shoot most of us young'uns.

  15. #15
    Member Libertine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Murder Capitol, AK
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Beretta, Benelli, Brownings, the 3 B's for me if you are shooting competitively and are on a budget.

    Ruger, Winchester, Tristar, Remingtons, CZ, etc. for field use.

    Perazzis, Krieghoffs, Blasers, if you have the dough and like the finer things.

    Scatterguns are so cool, so enjoy.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    My Ruger 20 has never let me down but I had a Ruger 12 that started to double on occasion and it spent some time in the Ruger hospital and when it came back I sold it as it always concerned me it would "go crazy" again someday when I had 2 - 3in stout loads in it....
    EKC ya know Ithica has a sweet little 28 in their model 37 still - ??? That is if'n you are not to old and rusty to jack it!
    And ya know I love the 37! I got one in a 12 that I have had since I was 18. It's got the barrel cut off at 24 inches and has been drilled and tapped and has worn a 2.5x Weaver for a long time. It was Grandpa's gun and my son has claimed it and it's at his house. It has killed lots of deer but few by me. I used to loan it out come shotgun season. Then one guy forgot to bring it back and I had to go knock on his door to get it back. He was insistent that I sell it to him but Grandpa's gun aim't for sale. It ain't for loaning anymore either and that is part of the reason that it's in my son's safe.

    i have considered getting another older 37 Featherweight with a full choke barrel for those late season roosters that fly like a line drive and always go with the wind.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I worked in a full line gunshop for over 20 years, so had the opportunity to handle a lot of different guns. We usually had about 800 in stock at any given time. After several years of handling O/U shotguns, I finally decided on a Browning Citori Gran Lightning 20ga 28". Still love the gun. Just "felt right". There is no substitute for quality. If you can't "afford" a nice gun, just save your pennies longer. You'll be glad you did.
    I don't doubt ya one bit but after looking those babies are few and far between and I'd be askeared to scratch it. I might have to go hunting in my Sunday go to meeting clothes if I was carrying one of those.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sandpoint, ID
    Posts
    1,920

    Default

    I'm a big fan of the Ithaca 37 but it won't compare to a Win 12 in 20 ga with the scaled down frame and thin grip and a 26" Modified barrel. I have one that's an early 1920's with 2 9/16" chamber that I take a lot of pains in making rolled crimp loads so I can keep it original rather than re-chamber to 2 3/4". If you can find one, buy it...you'll never go back to a modern pump.

    Oh yeah, the Win 101 in 28 ga is a wonderful thing to hold and behold as well.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

  19. #19
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post

    i have considered getting another older 37 Featherweight with a full choke barrel for those late season roosters that fly like a line drive and always go with the wind.
    Over 30 years ago I had pretty much worn out my Ithica Mod 51 w/ 30" full. I remember when we went down for the dove opener and I busted the firing pin on the dang thing shooting clay pigeons just a couple days before we headed out. Another friend had the same gun so he loaned me his pin. When we got down to the hunt we stayed at my buddy's cousins house who just so happened to be a jeweler. I told him what had happened to mine and he asked me to show him the pin. I took the gun apart and put it in his hand. He looked at it for a minute and said I'll make you one. I'll be darned if he didn't go to work that next day and use the lathe to build one out of a 16 penny nail. Worked like charm.

    Fast forward a couple years and I was headed to Alaska. I didn't think the ol' 51 had much life left in er' so I started looking for another scattergun. At that time the old Browning A5 was still pretty popular and I even got to use one on a pheasant hunt one time. I killed a few birds with it but I just couldn't get over that big ol' humpbacked receiver. About that time my new issue of Sports Afield came to the door and Grits Gresham had just done a field test on the new Browning B-80 on a dove hunt in Argentina. He said he put over 1500 rounds through that thing and never had a jam. I loved it's looks which was like a slim downed (humpback) version of the A5. I was sold! So I gave the Ithica to a locksmith along with I think $130. and ended up with a brand new B-80 for the trip up north. That was over 33 years ago now and I'm still using it to shoot ducks outta the sky.

    Before my duck huntin' buddy left Alaska recently to return home to MI., he went down to Sportsman's WH and plunked down $1500. on a new Benelli. He had one before and sold it for some reason and said he just had to have another. A bit much for my blood but it is a gorgeous gun and sure did feel good to shoulder and swing. I too have been looking at the CZ and have heard nothing but good about them. But until the ol' B-80 wears out, if ever, I doubt I'll have a need for another scattergun.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  20. #20
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Ithaca 37 but it won't compare to a Win 12 in 20 ga with the scaled down frame and thin grip and a 26" Modified barrel. I have one that's an early 1920's with 2 9/16" chamber that I take a lot of pains in making rolled crimp loads so I can keep it original rather than re-chamber to 2 3/4". If you can find one, buy it...you'll never go back to a modern pump.

    Oh yeah, the Win 101 in 28 ga is a wonderful thing to hold and behold as well.
    I've got a very old Model 12 Takedown in 12ga... despite being the better part of a century old... modern pumps feel positively crude in comparison.

    I went out and busted some grouse tonight with my equally old Model 37 in 20ga. Just a classy way to hunt grouse and it carries so nice in the hand.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •