Thread: How do I fix this?

Default How do I fix this?

So my Honda BF90 lost a piece and I am wondering how to fix this? My outboard jet unit's bolt threads apparently did not extend all the way into the mid-section and it looks like I over tightened them at some point last season and I just now noticed while cleaning the thread passageways. There was PB blaster showing the crack and then out it came in my hand.

It is 1/3 to 1/2 of the thread bearing surface. So on this casting separates the exhaust and omitting the piece would really increase the noise of the motor.

Is this the kinds of stuff JB Weld is for? I also tried to rebolt the piece on but the threads don't match up so I may drill out the piece and just reinstall as if it were a spacer or washer.

Sobie2
    Attached Images Attached Images

That would be a JB weld fix.

i like the spacer idea. drill out the threads, jb it an bolt the spacer into place. have it tiged. drill out old threads and helicoil through the spacer.

Quote Originally Posted by 27 sportfisher View Post
    i like the spacer idea. drill out the threads, jb it an bolt the spacer into place. have it tiged. drill out old threads and helicoil through the spacer.
    TIG and and any plastic (JB) are a no-no. Too much heat causing porous weld, if a weld at all. One could do as the OP suggests and drill out the 'washer', vee the case and washer interface and TIG it but why? The washer obviously contributes nothing thread-wise. OR, one could grease/neversieze the bolt, slather JB (there are better materials, however) in the recess without the washer and thus have a little more thread holding power but 1/2 of the threads is probably plenty. I think the OP's idea is the simplest and will work fine.

Can you get a longer bolt as well to increase the thread surface in the existing bolt hole?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I am definitely getting longer bolts and making sure they use up all of the available thread surface.

Sobie2

Try Belzona in my experience it's twice the product JB weld is.

Quote Originally Posted by Branr1 View Post
    Try Belzona in my experience it's twice the product JB weld is.
    Belzona is an awesome product, way better than jb weld

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I used to be a dealer for Belzona...it is far and away the best product.

The ideal fix would be to build up the area with a TIG weld, then machine the surface flat and use a thinwall threaded insert. But that would be a very costly repair. A good welder who properly preps the area will not have porosity in the weld. But not everyone that can strike an arc is a good welder or will bother to properly clean the area.

Next best would be to use a thin wall insert to extend the threads to the surface of where the threads used to be and build up with belzona. The threaded insert will help strengthen the repair and keep the forces from the bolt from popping the build up away from the metal.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.