Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear Mauling Hatchers Pass

Default Bear Mauling Hatchers Pass

Seeing if anyone else has any details on this? I heard about it locally here in Willow and was told it was a kid who was mauled. Another side of the story I heard was he got a shot on the bear when it charged (rifle) not too sure on any other details other than they had to evac him to the palmer side of HP to get him out.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

I heard that he was t actually mauled but was chased up a tree by a bear and fell about 40ft. Just read that in face book do it "has" to be true. They said he was doing ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guy posted the whole story on the Mat-Su Valley News Facebook group.

Here is a cut and paste from that post:

Hi my name is Robert Frazer posting from my wife's Facebook. Alot of people have heard of bear encounter this past Saturday and would like to know the whole story begging to end so I have decided to tell it so others may learn my experience it all started the Saturday morning September 17th I woke up around 9 o clock in the morning I was having a rough start got in a tiff with my wife so I decided I would go hunting for day I packed my things in my back pack I packed extra socks a couple pairs of gloves a extra pair of pants extra coat a coupke hats some sour patch kids hot tamales and resses peanut butter cup bite size three packs of dry topramen and three sodas my hunting knifes game bags and knife sharpener I also three in 3 extra 30 ot six bullets which left me with a total of 10 bullets between what I had in my gun and in my gun strap and In my bag I left my house house wearing some insulated water boots nice pair of socks my undies a pair of thermal pants a pair of jeans over those and a pair of Gor Tex pants top half I had on a thermal shirt a long sleeved shirt and my Gor Tex rain proof jacket I jumped on my wheeler from my house (beginning of church Rd) at approximately 10:30 am a d headed for schrock Rd and then Dow. To schrock over to baldy mountain all on my own which I have done many times before I told o e friend when I left if Im not back in a couple days send Steven Barney he will know where I'll be cause I had talked to him a few times about hunting the spot I wanted to hunt and he had seen the area when I went up my phone was broken by one o clock I had mad it over baldy mountain and started my decline down willow side of baldy there was a camp set up where I had originally planned to stop so I decided I would travel a little farther down and so I did I came to a swamp I checked my surroundings and landmarks and decided to ride back in the trees a little ways till I reach a area on a ridge that over looked a big revine that looked awesome for moose I got off my wheeler grabbed a soda and my rifle and sat there and with in half hour had spotted a moose that I called for some time and was Making it's way down to me until a fellow hunter crossed it's path it was around 5 o'clock pm I decided I would walk up the revine and look around and so I did I grab my wallet with my license and a lighter my gun and a pair of binoculars and headed up the revive to spot some other moose I had seen a distance away I left everything on my wheeler expecting to be back not to long i got done looking at around 7 pm decided I would head back to my bike although o. The way back I seen a bull I just couldn't pass up on the other side of the revive where I parked my bike I walked up there called it a few times and that was when I noticed the tint in the sky it was starting to get dark i thought for sure I could easily find my way back by the time I got to ridge where I had parked it for so dark i couldn't see. Y ha d I front of my face a d of course the flashlights I had packed where left on the four wheeler In my backpack I ended up overshooting the location of my four-wheeler and ended up back out in the swamp where I had drive In at this time it was around 9:30 pm and I knew I could not go back in the trees to look anymore that night in fear I would get lost in the trees I heard a couple people talking g in the distance so I shouted "hello" loud as I could go I got a response back "hello" I then yelled back " I list my wheeler in woods I could use some help anyone out there " I then heard a machine fire up and sounded as if it where coming to get me so I waited patiently for about a hour and it seemed the machine was almost to me and then all the sudden it seemed to had passed me I then had to call myself down because it was now around 11 o'clock pm it was extremely dark and I was all alone I tried telling again. With no response back I decided I would walk up the trail that was enclosed by trees to camp up the way not that far so I thought I walked almost all the way to the top of the trail when I noticed a couple different sets of eyes in the trees that seemed to be watching me I had to take a second and make sure my mind was not playing tricks on me and sure enough they when Everytime I would move they would follow watching me threw the tree line not having any idea what it was I took off running back Down to swamp where I had come from with idea if something was gonna get me I wanted to see it coming rather then just jumping out of the tree line this was around midnight just as I entered the swamp I could hear them hot my heals I Ran to tree middle of the swamp knowing I would have to spend the night in it and if I fell asleep and fell out of the tree I wanted to land on something soft frantically I broke some branches out of the way and wormed my way up about 10 feet sitting there for a couple minutes trying to pull my self together I look down and seen the figure of a dog walking around and a branch snapped on the tree that dog looking guy then Gor down. I. The stalking g position. Headed over to the then I realized this is a coyotes I fired my rifle at it not knowing at the time theses guys can't climb trees it was a hit the coyote died about 20 minutes later another 6 or so come from the tree line and lay right st the bottom of the tree about 1 30 come around and I look out into the swamp and see the silhouette of to baby black bear cubs jump in a tree across the way I figured I just be quite they won't come over here 10 minutes later I feel the tree I was in start swayyjng drastically back and fourth it was foggy but not windy and see the figure of a black leg of sorts so I reached down with my gun and gave it a tap that moment I knew there was a bear in the tree I was I untied my self put my gun aimed at the bear the best I could with no sights and foggy and bam pull the trigger it was the cub which fell about 5 feet and then rolled out of the tree I look down. To grou d and notice I big black figure at the bottom noticing that was not there before my fear sky rocketed as that figure began its way up it was momma bear very upset with me for shooting at her baby at this time I had one bullet in my magazine and four in my strapI pointed down shot and missed by the time I was able to take my magazine out she was right below me so I put that in my pocket loaded a single shot out of my strap pointed and shot again missed I frantically started to yell as loud as I could " someone please help me theres a bear"as the first cry for help bellowed across the mountains I hear two machines coming instantly a side by side driven by Lynn Barney and four wheeler driven by Steven Barney also co polite Chris Hulse all long time friends and family who apparently received word I was over due from my hunting trip and Stevens dog rocket who heard my yell and led them three down the trail to the swamp I was in as they where on there way down momma bear was still coming for me I the scoured to the very top of the tree trying to by some time for them to make it to the swamp they pulled in the swamp which scared the coyotes off but not momma I reached the top of the tree a good 25 feet up and went to grab a branch that was not strong enough I fell just in time for Steven to watch me fall I landed on my left side which my binoculars fell to that side of my buddy I hit the ground with such force It knocked the wind out of me and bruised my lungs from my ribcage smashing into them they pulled up I was sunk 2 inches in the swamp grass all that was visible was my face they asked where the bear was but I was knocked out so bad I couldn't respond they threw me in the side by side and took off back up the trail to Andreas Jennings camp where we where able to make contact by cell phone to paramedics to meet me at the bottom of the mountain 2 hour ride down and finally I was on my way to hospital alot learned from this read my story learn from mistakes I made no one is perfect and I was blessed and very lucky to receive more time here on earth with my family and friends pretty much that's the whole thing thank you for reading

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah I read that post and was going to copy and paste it here. Odd story.

I started to read this story, but could not due to the way it was written. It will be interesting to read at some point in time.

Interesting story. Also, a prime example on why punctuation was invented.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    I started to read this story, but could not due to the way it was written. It will be interesting to read at some point in time.
    That is just painful to read............................ and I second the Odd comment...
    Tim

Are you sure this wasn't taken from a Tom Bodette book (minus the Grammer and punctuation.) I think Tom said this happened around homer though!

There have been a lot of people wondering about the bear mauling that happened on Saturday to make a long story short let me go ahead and tell you what happened it all started about 48 years ago when I was born.......

I made it about three lines than had to bail out on his story.

Chrimeny. I've tried twice to read it and can't get through 1/3 of it. It's hurting my eyes!!!
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

Maybe the lack of nutrition caused hallucinations.
    Three sodas, sour patch kids, hot tamales and peanut butter cups for hunting food?

The more you read, the more you wonder,if there really were any animals present....

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    The more you read, the more you wonder,if there really were any animals present....

That was my thought as I endured the pain of reading the entire thing. I cannot comment on the truthfulness of his claims. I think he was writing it out from a phone. I am frequently appalled when I reread things I attempt to type out on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The guy posted the whole story on the Mat-Su Valley News Facebook group.

Here is a cut and paste from that post:
    For cryin' out loud.....what the hell was that...???!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yeah. Paragraphs and punctuation would be kinda nice.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Yeah. Paragraphs and punctuation would be kinda nice.
    It reminds me of adam sandler in the waterboy as he attempts to explain foolsball to the kids.......
    Don't smoke crack!

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Don't smoke crack!
    That's exactly what it read like, like the kid was higher than a kite. My daughter could have written a better story when she was 5....ok maybe 10....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

sooooo, attacked by pack of coyotes in the night and scurries up tree. Kills one coyote with gun. Other coyotes lay at bottom of tree. Then sow and cubs walk by coyotes to scale same tree, he fires gun again killing cub, then 2 more times at sow (which still doesn't scare coyotes away for some reason). Falls out of tree with sow still in it, buddies come up on wheelers finally scaring coyotes away, and never see dead cub or sow in tree.........

This, my friends, is why you don't do meth.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

[QUOTE=BIGAKSTUFF;1560816
    This, my friends, is why you don't do meth.[/QUOTE]

That, and it screws up your spelling and punctuation something terrible.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Sodas=beer me thinks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast