Thread: Copper Fouling.....

Default Copper Fouling.....

So tell me.....can a guy just expect to be up all night trying to get rid of any blue left on the rod patch, or am I just paying the price for not cleaning it more often?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I used to agonize over that, then I gave up. I don't clean them now until the accuracy falls off. Now I mine the copper out with some Sweets 7.62 and start all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    I don't clean them now until the accuracy falls off.
    Me too. And I don't sweat trying to get every last molecule of copper out either. Life is too short for such silliness.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I used to agonize over that, then I gave up. I don't clean them now until the accuracy falls off. Now I mine the copper out with some Sweets 7.62 and start all over again.
    That's what I was using tonight, and the blue just kept coming. Do people still run wire brushes through their bore or do you just not need it with all these new copper fouling solvents?

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Me too. And I don't sweat trying to get every last molecule of copper out either. Life is too short for such silliness.
    Well, I sure called it good after I don't know how many patches.....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    That's what I was using tonight, and the blue just kept coming. Do people still run wire brushes through their bore or do you just not need it with all these new copper fouling solvents?
    I use a bronze brush with a flannel patch wrapped on it. Remember that a little blue can be caused by copper in bronze, brass, or other alloys, so you can end up chasing blue ghosts...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Just use Wipeout.

Foam the bore, go to bed, next day, push it out. More effective than Sweets IMO
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    Just use Wipeout.

Never tried it, but now I will. Thanks for the tip.

Amazing stuff. It's all I ever use. i always foam the gun at night and run patches the next day. Honestly can't remember the last time I cleaned a gun with a brush.
    Just use Wipeout.

Henry Bowman for President

Just use Wipeout.

+1 Here's how I do it. Insert bore guide in place of bolt, run a bronze brush through the bore with solvent several times then patch dry to remove loose fouling.

Run a patch with Patchout (Wipeout's liquid brother) through the bore and disgard patch after it clears the muzzle. Place a ziplock sandwich bag or plastic soda bottle over the muzzle of the rifle to catch expanding foam and give a blast of Wipeout through the bore guide and wait a few seconds for the foam to expand and begin oozing out of the muzzle. Push a large patch in the open end of the boreguide to prevent Wipeout from leaking out that end of the rod guide.

Every couple or four hours or so, rotate the rifle so it is laying on its other side. As the foam turns to liquid, gravity will pull much of it to one side of the barrel. Turning the rifle over to its other side will allow the opposite side of the barrel to get some dwell time. Later that night, before going to bed, patch it dry. Then shine a flashlight down the muzzle end of the bore to see if you can see any copper fouling. If you can, reapply and let it sit all night. The next morning, patch dry, check again with a flashlight and reapply if necessary using the same approach as the night before. Usually, one application over the course of the day will do the job.

I never really know how clean the throat of the rifle looks but if I can't see any copper fouling at the muzzle...it's clean enough for me.

Default nylon brush

Instead of a bronze brush, use one of the brushes with nylon bristles - or however it is spelled.

The solvent won't attack the brush, and you can figure any of the blue is coming from fouling in the bore.

One of the inexpensive bore scopes is also great to have. You can pick them up for $100 or less. Not as fine of resolution as the more expensive scopes, but still give you a good idea your bore you would never see otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I use a bronze brush with a flannel patch wrapped on it. Remember that a little blue can be caused by copper in bronze, brass, or other alloys, so you can end up chasing blue ghosts...
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Wasilla, Ak and S. Korea until retirement in 18 months

MPro7 copper solvent is the way to go! You will gave your rifle cleaned of copper in less than 30minutes

I am always on the look out for the latest and greatest barrel cleaner. Like many in the stone age I started with Hopes #9, which is the best smelling!

After that it was Shooters Choice, Sweets, Barnes Copper Cleaner, Butch's Bore Shine and Montana Extreme with JB Bore Cleaner and Kroil Oil.

I am now undecided between Wipe Out and MPro7.

I only use Barnes X bullets for my 30-06 and .338 so I am familiar with blue patches. I also seldom shoot over 15 rounds out of either rifle with out cleaning it so that makes cleaning easier as does getting a copper cleaner in there as soon as possible after the shooting is done. A good shooting rifle and load will tell you on target if your barrel has excessive copper fowling, so as others said, a little blue on a patch ain't the end of the world.

The way I am going I will end up with both Wipe Out and MPro7 for copper removal. Shooters Choice for general bore cleaning and MPro7 Gun Oil for moving parts and Tetra Gun Oil burnished in the barrel with a cotton patch.

If I could only have one product it would be MPro7 solvent and oil.

I will always have a bottle of Hoppes #9 around just to keep the place smelling good. A few drops in the gun safe leaves a pleasant and familiar odor!

I used Sweet's 7.62 for about 30 years - it's slow, very slow. I now use BoreTec CU+2 or their eliminator brand, both good copper solvents. If you use a brass jag you will get a false positive for the presence of copper - use either an aluminum jag, stainless steel, plastic/nylon or a jag that is labeled "proof positive jag".

I'm sure there might be faster copper solvents on the market today but the Bore Tec will get a rough, neglected barrel clean in 20 to 30 minutes. Just firing 50 to 100 rounds from a previously clean barrel, it'll clean up in 10 minutes or less depending on your barrel.

My approach as well. When I want to get a bore naked clean I alternate JB paste and Barnes CR-10. And yes it takes quite some time but the JB helps polish the bore and reduce fouling.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.