Thread: Bow for beginner woman?

Question Bow for beginner woman?

Hi all,

So my girlfriend has decided she wants to try getting a bow. Since she's never shot a bow of her own she isn't interested in spending too much and wants to stay in the "beginner bow" price range until she knows she likes it. ($300 or so)

We have looked at some of the Diamond and Bear bows at the box stores, but I know that some of them have issues with getting serviced. Saw the Bear Apprentice 3 on sale at Cabelas and she is itching to buy...any input on if this is a decent bow? Any ideas on better ones to look at? We are just wanting something she can learn on but also hunt with next year if she decides she wants to try it.

I haven't had the opportunity to take her to one of the archery shops yet, anything there even worth looking at that isn't 4-500+? She's 5'5" and I would guess a DL in the low 20's.

Thanks for any input,

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Supporting Member

I don't know the price off the top of my head, but my wife likes her Bowtech Eva Shockey signature series bow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Go to any "box" store that allows her too shoot a bow and let her shoot them. Same goes for the pro shops..
    Shoot as many bows that she can get her hands on...
    Have her draw length get officially measured. If she's 5' 5", I'm betting 25"-26". My wife is 5'7" and is at 27"...
    Regardless of bow prices, if it doesn't fit or feel right, it could negatively affect her shooting form and/or accuracy...
    $400-500 is pretty average for a quality bow by itself. As a package, that seems a bit low.. Be careful with some of those "package" setups. Their price is nice, but a lot of times they're missing options, like not being allowed to adjust draw lengths or very minimal draw weight adjustments...

Same rule for women as men... go to the pro shop and get fitted. Fit is paramount.

The box store guy might be an expert...or he might barely be able to operate the door knob. Pro shop is a much better choice to get set up initially.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

As a kid I learned on a cheap fiber glass recurve and I learned volumes . It doesn't take expensive to get started and the easier the better . after all your learning form and muscle memory first then as her muscles develop she can advance to some thing better .
    Start with a kid's bow and then work up . I must have almost a dozen bows in my collection with my first and a few antiques on up to compounds and a very tough long bow my son made me.
    Arrows are going to be the more significant issue because they don't need to change if you start with good ones in the beginning ,and she will notice the difference as she graduates to the next weight bow.

Mission by Mathews makes some great affordable beginner bows with a lot of adjustment that don't break the bank. You could also buy her a lesson at Full Curl in Anchorage where she could learn proper form and try various bows before buying. Just a thought.

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Go to a pro shop get fitted for correct bow and buy the top line bow! Don't waste money on so called beginners bow. In 3 weeks worth of shooting she'll want to better bow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

+1 on going to a pro shop, like Full Curl, and getting a lesson and trying out some of the bows they have available. They do have some good starter options, and bows that will "grow" with her abilities. I first went to the big C box and soon after buying the package, outpaced the bow I was sold and ended up spending again to get a bow that fits right at the pro shop. To me it makes sense to spend a little more and only spend once.
    Uisce Beatha
    Harbercraft Discovery 2025 HT

Sponsor

Or those other guys in the Valley...

Your local shops would love to help, that's what we do.

For a beginners bow, I would recommend the Diamond Infinite Edge. The growth potential is amazing, it shoots well, and is quiet. My wife has its predecessor, and she loves it. I know a number of people that have the razor edge (predecessor) and infinite edge by diamond and none of them have any complaints. To top it off, they are affordable. She can start with a light weight and as she learns form and gets stronger, can go up in weight to 70lbs. If she decides she wants to lengthen or shorten draw length, it is easy to do as well. It comes as a package, rest, sights, ect. Personally, if you can get the bare bow, I would do that. The rest that it comes with is junk, especially in freezing temperatures, and the sight, though functional, is not a good sight. You can always pick up a used bow for cheap to start with as well, make sure to have a pro shop look at it before buying it though.

If all she wants to do is learn to shoot and she doesnt want to hunt, get a recurve. I only pull my compound out for a month a year during hunting season, otherwise, for small game and target shooting, I shoot recurve and love it. Might be something else to consider.

Absolutely. The folks at Screaming Eagle were great when I went in for an item not available in town. Great range, too. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Screaming Eagle View Post
    Or those other guys in the Valley...

Your local shops would love to help, that's what we do.
    Uisce Beatha
    Harbercraft Discovery 2025 HT

Sponsor

Please use caution with used bows, especially for youth and women. If it's a newer adjustable bow, like the Infinite Edge and Mission bows, all should be good.
    Every week we see kids and ladies come in with used bows that either don't fit.. and we can no longer get parts for, or they can't pull back.

We are very competitive with the "Big Box" and unfortunately I think the term "Pro Shop" keeps people from coming in because they think we have higher prices, which isn't true. 90% of the people at Sportsman's, buy their bows from us.

Certain manufacturers do require their bows to be sold at locally owned shops. They simply want you to have a personable experience and have them set up properly. This is why you can't go to Bass Pro and buy Mathews or Hoyt, and a few others. We do this because we enjoy it and we want to help people get into archery.

I wish I could challenge everyone to shop local first, whether it's us Full Curl or North Pole Archery, before going to the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Screaming Eagle View Post
    Please use caution with used bows, especially for youth and women. If it's a newer adjustable bow, like the Infinite Edge and Mission bows, all should be good.
    Every week we see kids and ladies come in with used bows that either don't fit.. and we can no longer get parts for, or they can't pull back.

We are very competitive with the "Big Box" and unfortunately I think the term "Pro Shop" keeps people from coming in because they think we have higher prices, which isn't true. 90% of the people at Sportsman's, buy their bows from us.

Certain manufacturers do require their bows to be sold at locally owned shops. They simply want you to have a personable experience and have them set up properly. This is why you can't go to Bass Pro and buy Mathews or Hoyt, and a few others. We do this because we enjoy it and we want to help people get into archery.

I wish I could challenge everyone to shop local first, whether it's us Full Curl or North Pole Archery, before going to the box.
    Yep always shop local first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Yep always shop local first.
    ...Not sure what to believe Mike!