Thread: Yet another heartwarming wanton waste story

Default Yet another heartwarming wanton waste story

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Supporting Member

This makes me sick, completely senseless killing of a valuable resource.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Didn't open the link, but I will turn in anyone for wanton waste. Anyone.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Just blatant killing just for the sake of killing with no intentions of harvesting the meat.....

Some sick pukes in the world....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Wow, four moose just shot and left to rot? That's a lot worse than the usual "hunter accidentally kills sublegal animal and leaves it to avoid getting caught" stories, which are awful enough already. Whoever did this does not deserve to see anything but the inside of a concrete box for years.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Happens far more frequently than what makes it into the newspapers. Anymore, I pretty much assume most people are scumbags until proven otherwise. Your level of cynicism may vary.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

There was one more further south that the guy cut the rack off and left the animal. He was "stranded" due to higher water even though he had a white water raft. He then proceeded to call the troopers for help and eventually got extracted by a ODA team training in the area. They set up lines to ferry the raft across and all he brought was the antlers and I presume they tipped off the troopers. There were 5 troopers and a helicopter in there the next day taking statements and checking out the kill site which you can see from a scenic viewpoint. I can't make this sh@& up. I also seen a dude try to smoke a 3 brow tine bull next to the road in a 4 brow area after season went out. He looked at me like I was an idiot when I told him the unit was a 4 brow tine area and season already closed.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier06 View Post
    There was one more further south that the guy cut the rack off and left the animal. He was "stranded" due to higher water even though he had a white water raft. He then proceeded to call the troopers for help and eventually got extracted by a ODA team training in the area. They set up lines to ferry the raft across and all he brought was the antlers and I presume they tipped off the troopers. There were 5 troopers and a helicopter in there the next day taking statements and checking out the kill site which you can see from a scenic viewpoint. I can't make this sh@& up. I also seen a dude try to smoke a 3 brow tine bull next to the road in a 4 brow area after season went out. He looked at me like I was an idiot when I told him the unit was a 4 brow tine area and season already closed.
    People still go out hunting here on the old opening date. Used to start for rifle on the 20th of Aug. It has been Sept 1st for a couple of seasons, and yet there are still bozos out in full denial taking moose. I know one guy and his daughter that were caught. Too early and sub legal. Everyone in town knows he is a poacher, and was over due to be busted.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Ran into a guide with his client sheep hunting about 10 years back. Chatted then up a bit. Client said he had tags for bear sheep wolf and wolverine! He was ready to do some killing!! I informed him he didn't need a tag for wolf in that unit and wolverine season didn't open for almost three more weeks...his guide swore it was open. I said uh no. Lol his client was pissed! Wasted that money cause his guide didn't know the regs!! The more stories I hear I have to assume we've always had people who don't read them but now social
    Media just brings them to the surface.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Wanton waste is the worst offence, IMO. However you have to wonder about the regs sometimes, they sure dont make it any easier and the 50" thing for moose is just asking for mistakes.... I purposely try to hunt only any bull areas to avoid that decision....

I know its no excuse for WW, but how much more complicated can get, I was on Gillete Pass a couple of weeks ago and watched a legal bull caribou wander over from unit 12 to unit 13 and become subsistence only...

Makes me wonder about the spike-fork thing, moose horns grow fast, they say as much as inch a day, maybe that why I never see spike-forks in September.... makes em hard to hunt.

I read that hunter numbers are down.... the regs sure aint encouraging to someone who may not have a mentor or know the state very well.

I know there is no excuse for ignorance or wasting a animal.....just saying the reg dont help...
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I've heard of three or four cases here in Cordova this year including the party who put a whole un-gutted moose into their truck and were leaving on the ferry with it. A friend who works at the ferry dock called it in, but troopers arrived to late to bust them here. Hopefully they were caught at their destination.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett