Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valdez mine trail illegal hunters

Default Valdez mine trail illegal hunters

Saw multiple vehicles full of hunters driving back into the Valdez mine road area Thursday. Pissed us off. Hope they get caught by troopers and lose everything they have.

Release Lake Trout

Did you report them?
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Where they hunting or just driving?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Where they hunting or just driving?
    Guns out the window. I guess I could be wrong....but I'm going to safely "assume" they were hunting, even though they said they were not. I reported them and so did another hunter. We saw a trooper vehicle heading towards that area with a wheeler in tow shortly after..... I really hope they busted em.

Release Lake Trout

Maybe hunting birds? Probably Claude....lol
    Can't bust someone for driving around. They'll get a warning but unless they have game down....
    Master guide 212

Maybe hunting birds? Probably Claude....lol
    It definitely wasn't Claude and these were not shotguns. We talked to a guy at windy Creek crossing. Older gent very nice guy who also said he had seen people driving back there hunting illegally. He said he stays up there for most of the season and spends a lot of time in the area.

Release Lake Trout

BI don't believe bird hunting is legal in CCA during fall

It is no small problem for certain - have witnessed.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knofler

You right chum.
    Master guide 212

Hunted hard up there the week before last. The number of ATV's coming out of there in the dark of night was... disturbing to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    Hunted hard up there the week before last. The number of ATV's coming out of there in the dark of night was... disturbing to say the least.
    Surely they weren't hunting. They must have been recreational riders.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

NO......International TEST your ATV headlights week..........

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Surely they weren't hunting. They must have been recreational riders.

Kind of funny, a few years ago a member of this forum made the same claim as the OP does in this thread. Other forum members dog piled on him with the "just because they're on an ATV and have a rifle doesn't mean they're hunting" ranting. Fickle winds here...

I'm sure that the troopers would like to nail some of them but it's really tough to prosecute without a dead critter. Other than that you'd need them to admit guilt or just write the ticket and hope they don't go to court to fight it.

It all depends on the trooper in some
    Of these situations. Being able to prove intent is tough. I would say if you get caught with a gun and a hunting license maybe a warning...but if you have a gun and no hunting license are you poaching? Weird ground. I intend to never find out.
    Master guide 212

I know that in most states if you're driving around at night in an area where you might expect to find game animals, and then; possess a firearm and a spot light, it can be considered "prima facie evidence" (accepted as correct until proved otherwise) of attempted poaching.
    I would think that the activity you guys are describing could be successfully prosecuted.

Of these situations. Being able to prove intent is tough. I would say if you get caught with a gun and a hunting license maybe a warning...but if you have a gun and no hunting license are you poaching? Weird ground. I intend to never find out.
    Really! you should have a hunting a hunting license in order to travel around with a firearm, or your a poacher? So much for the second amendment!

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    I know that in most states if you're driving around at night in an area where you might expect to find game animals, and then; possess a firearm and a spot light, it can be considered "prima facie evidence" (accepted as correct until proved otherwise) of attempted poaching.
    I would think that the activity you guys are describing could be successfully prosecuted.
    WOW! what happened too: You are innocent until proven guilty? I do travel many hours after dark with a firearm on a wheeler and sno-go, with no seasons open to take game. That's enough to charge me as a poacher? Keep the lower forty eight non-senses down there where they have more than 4 hours of daylight!

I know several people that travel with firearms in their vehicles and have no intentions of hunting at anytime. They have the firearms for their protection, not hunting.
    Either way it could get interesting!

Just amazing that so many Alaskans assume that everyone else is doing wrong out in the same woods their are in! Why was Hunt&Fish Ak out there? Did you have a firearm?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast