Thread: Stripping a recurve

Cool Stripping a recurve

Hey gang,

I have been given a recurve from a deceased family member. The bow is approx. 35-40 years old. Make and model unknown. It has been painted for some time with camo paint.

I see some nice looking wood underneath so I would like to restore this bow back to its original state. Any thoughts on stripping the paint off without delamaination of the bow?

Thanks, Mark in Palmer

I wouldnt get to crazy with paint strippers but you might dry denatured alcohol on a small spot, or possibly paint thinner. Just be aware that it might damage the finish underneath it. A couple coats of your favorite spray finish would be in order.

Or you could stop in Northern Air Cargo and talk to Mike Stevens. He could give ya a hand and some good idears I'm sure. He lives in eagle river. If you do see him lettem know I said Hi.

Dan

Default Carfull

I would use a little laquer thiner on the riser and see whats under the paint.Most likely it will have black ,green or brown glass on the limbs so your not going to unearth a work of art.If the bow was stored corectly and the limbs arnt twisted I wouldnt mess with it.You stand the chance of delamination.If you try and sand it youl most likly change the tiller.I am a bowyer and have been for about 25 years and have had a lot of mistreated bows brought to me for repair and they usualy become wall hangers

Be real careful if you try the laquer thinner route. Laquer and laquer thinner actually burns into what you apply it to, so there's potential to mix the top coat of paint with an older layer of finish. Just be real careful if you have to do it.

I would recommend getting some cabinet scrapers to see if the paint will flake off. They're rectangular in shape, with 8 burred edges. The ones with handles aren't what you'll need. These are what I'm talking about: http://www.grizzly.com/products/h5568

I would avoid going all the way down to the laminations if possible - see if you can leave a layer of clean finish on it, prep it, and then put a nice, even coat of finish over it.

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I will try to let all know how it turns out. It will probably be a winter project.

Mark
    In Palmer