Thread: Alweld vs Hewescraft

Default Alweld vs Hewescraft

I'm looking to purchase a boat mainly for use on the Yukon and several other interior rivers as well as putter around Valdez harbor for Silvers. I have narrowed it to a 20' Alweld with a 115 outboard vs a Hewescraft river runner with an inboard. I am leaning towards the Alweld but would love to hear pros and cons to both.

Personally, I wouldn't think of an I/O on the Yukon. I've had plenty of adventures there and on numerous tributaries with an outboard. Many I/O arrangements don't trim above the lowest point of a hull.

Quote Originally Posted by copperlake View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't think of an I/O on the Yukon. I've had plenty of adventures there and on numerous tributaries with an outboard. Many I/O arrangements don't trim above the lowest point of a hull.
    Inboard jet is most likely what he's talking about

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I had a Hewes sportsman with the sportjet. Loved it. Ran gray on the river and out of Whittier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

That's one reason I'm looking at the outboard, we go thru those tributaries up there looking for pike and grayling and it does get crazy back there sometimes. Also fuel economy is a lot better with the outboard. I think I'm just going to sit on it awhile and see if a smoking deal comes along in the winter. Thank you for the input.