Thread: Serious priority question

Default Serious priority question

Folks,
    if you spend any time on the cabin threads you know that I have land in Alaska and I am building on it. My motivation initially was to be a resident and hunt sheep on my 50th birthday. Last week I turned 50 and the cabin is still several years from completion.
    i have sacrificed most of the last 10 hunting seasons for the cabin, 2 or 3 weeks a year to build instead of hunt. I am beginning to wonder if I have made a mistake. I won't be able to get around forever. While I kill fewer and fewer animals, I still REALLY enjoy being on the hunt. I am afraid that 10 years from now the cabin will be done and most of my physical abilities will have declined to where a solo hunt for sheep, or anything, would be unwise.
    We got power last year so I expect the process to speed up but I still worry about what I am missing. Anybody else dealing with a similar decision? Wanting to offer thought or advice?
    Nick Clegg
    Husband, Father, Hunter,
    Usually in that order
    http://nixoutdoorpursuits.blogspot.com/

Only you can answer that question. Any kids at home still? How about a wife? Hunting is a month a year give or take. How important are the other 11 months of the year to you? Do you have the time and or funds to enjoy life the other 11 months? Just what is your general health like? I tend to error on the other side of this fence. I will die a broke man. But man, what a ride it's been! And while you may regret the things you didn't do in life while enjoying retirement, I will still be working as I didn't save for retirement as I should have. I will have no choice but to keep working far later in life than I would like too. However, the thought that keeps popping into my head is how many folks I've known that have but off life until they are retired, only to die within months of retiring. Even when they have retired at an early age. Thus I TRY to find a happy balance there. I try to do the things in life that I truly enjoy, but know that I will not be able to do in my 60's or 70's. Hope this rant helps you in some way in your decisions. There are no easy answers to your question and must be an answer tailored to you and your life variables.

I once read most hunters stop hunting in their 60s. I personally know one gentleman in his 70s who is still hunting and have heard of others but unfortunately, we don't know in advance when our health or desire to hunt will diminish to the point we stop. So, it's a very personal decision.

You can't undo the past 10 years. Only you can decide what you really want going forward. Is there some way you could get the cabin done faster? Do you have any extended family members or friends who would be willing to spend some of their time helping you finish it? Perhaps, in exchange for a future hunt with you?

Pfft. No brainer. Move to Alaska so you can finish the cabin in a year then on to hunting! Lol

Odds are.. you've immensely enjoyed just being here and building so your time was not wasted.

I like sep's idea. Enlist the help of others in trade. Or.. you could pay to have someone complete the project. While you may not want to do this financially, wouldn't it be great to come up next year to hunt out of your finished cabin?

Another idea.. next year.. forget all about the cabin and just come up and hunt. See how you feel without it. It may be a project that you can wash your hands of and just enjoy what you enjoy most.

Let us know what you decide.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

My wife and I built our home mostly ourselves, so I understand the desire to diy. That said, there's a lot to be said for finding a local carpenter and paying him to finish your place if you can only spare a couple weeks a year. IMO, the gain offsets the loss. The other option is to just move up permanent and finish it in a timely manner. For me, I know I lost my desire to build houses long before I lost my desire to hunt!!!

Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    Folks,
    if you spend any time on the cabin threads you know that I have land in Alaska and I am building on it. My motivation initially was to be a resident and hunt sheep on my 50th birthday. Last week I turned 50 and the cabin is still several years from completion.
    i have sacrificed most of the last 10 hunting seasons for the cabin, 2 or 3 weeks a year to build instead of hunt. I am beginning to wonder if I have made a mistake. I won't be able to get around forever. While I kill fewer and fewer animals, I still REALLY enjoy being on the hunt. I am afraid that 10 years from now the cabin will be done and most of my physical abilities will have declined to where a solo hunt for sheep, or anything, would be unwise.
    We got power last year so I expect the process to speed up but I still worry about what I am missing. Anybody else dealing with a similar decision? Wanting to offer thought or advice?
    This is a 76 year old that just killed a ram this season. If that doesn't inspire you then nothing will. If you want to continue hunting then there's only one thing you can do....STAY IN SHAPE. If you can do that then you can make it happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by djohn View Post
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

My wife talked me into the do stuff now while we are able and it is fun mindset. So we will probably never retire, we maintain ourselves in a status of completely broke. But we enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Sell the cabin and land and hire a good guide. Staying poor in Alaska is more fun than in the lower 49.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I guess I don't understand the "build or hunt" dilemma... can't you do both?

That said...my hunting partner turns 60 this year and he can out hunt most men half his age.

Hunting hard as you age is a matter of staying in shape and preventing injury by being smarter than your 30 year old self. Sure, he goes a bit slower...but who cares...he's going.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    This is a 76 year old that just killed a ram this season. If that doesn't inspire you then nothing will. If you want to continue hunting then there's only one thing you can do....STAY IN SHAPE. If you can do that then you can make it happen.
    That guy is great looking with that sheep, the age just adds to it. I hope to be able to do the same at his age. Got to have goals, some take more time.

BTW nikster, hope you can hunt anything you want in 10 years. I got my first (and only so far) sheep at 59 yrs old. Live your dreams if you can

Gee Nik, tough decision, however many here dont have cabins here or elsewhere, sounds like you are close to getting these done, dont put off sheep hunting if thats something you want to do... shoulda started that in your twentys. I shot a sheep just before I turned 50, went again this year at 62. Decided that sheep country is no country for old men...... with that being said there are many that get out and get it done.
    I thought about cabin and decided a boat would fit me better, not as comfortable but lots of choices of where to go and am often going to new places, usually folks with cabins...... go to their cabins. Not bad its just what happens.

Just wondering about your cabin, a cabin with power....?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I guess I don't understand the "build or hunt" dilemma...
    What I'm confused about is the "I want to be a resident" part. Why are you still in Idaho? Hard to build a cabin from 2000 miles away.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Why haven't you moved here? If you wanted to be a resident by age 50, then do it. Rent a place near your cabin and get it done. If money is the issue you are stuck with two choices. Sell what is done of your cabin and turn it into a guided sheep hunt, or move up here and get with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by the nikster View Post
    Folks,
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem