Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VHF Antenna - Where to Buy?

Default VHF Antenna - Where to Buy?

Where can I get a Morad or Digital Antenna locally? I've tried ordering a morad from two different retailers and they can't fill the order!
    I'm looking at the Digital 529. I don't want a Shakespeare since I want a high quality antenna that lasts!

Thanks
    Ryan
    Kingfisher 2525 Honda 225 & 20

I purchased mine from Semper Fi Fishing. He posts a lot on the Hull Truth and has his own forum. He doesn't have a web site...you have to contact him by PM or e-mail. Free shipping, even to Alaska. I love my 529.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

You can get that Digital model 529 on Amazon for $208.29 delivered. I like mine, too.

i've heard rumors that Morad has closed its doors. Sad.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post

They were open on Wednesday, posting on Facebook yesterday
    https://www.facebook.com/MoradAntenna/

And there phone is still working when I call a few minutes ago.

I don't think they are closed.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    No need to be sad Steve. The original owner of Morad just sold his business last month to another guy who got the molds, inventory & machinery. They are back up to speed & selling antennas. I just got mine about 10 days ago direct from Morad so all I gotta do is get my boat home from Seward & get it installed.

BTW they are great people to work with.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Happy Day and i wish the new owners good luck with making those kick arse products. Dewey your going to love that stick, mine are over 25 years old and still working fine.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by rpdeines View Post
    Where can I get a Morad or Digital Antenna locally? I've tried ordering a morad from two different retailers and they can't fill the order!
    I'm looking at the Digital 529. I don't want a Shakespeare since I want a high quality antenna that lasts!

Thanks

Call Morad direct.
    206 789-2525 or 866-929-5971
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    No need to be sad Steve. The original owner of Morad just sold his business last month to another guy who got the molds, inventory & machinery. They are back up to speed & selling antennas. I just got mine about 10 days ago direct from Morad so all I gotta do is get my boat home from Seward & get it installed.

BTW they are great people to work with.
    Which model did you get? Shipping costs? No issues with my Digital, but I need to put together a set up for my project. May try Morad's 8' 6db whip.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Which model did you get? Shipping costs? No issues with my Digital, but I need to put together a set up for my project. May try Morad's 8' 6db whip.
    VHF 156HD 6ft antenna + ratchet mount, coax, connectors & adpater shipped in one flat rate box + one tube for a cost of $31.95. Morad is one of the few companies outside that understand the economy of shipping via USPS to Alaska.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

I bought a VHF-156 FG direct from Morad two years ago. Very happy with it. They shipped via Usps priority for $17 to Anchorage.

Dang...that will be quite a bit less than than the Digital unit.

Thanks everyone. I'll call them on Monday. FYI they have some morad antennas in Seward (communications north) and Homer (South Central Radar).
    Ryan
    Kingfisher 2525 Honda 225 & 20

Great info guys. I was just looking at both of these for our new boat build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BOATLESS for now......
    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    MMSI#

I stand confused...on Morad

Their new location on the website lists them as being in Bellingham...

I hope they continue their longstanding tradition of building high quality stuff and good prices. I have had bunch of custom stuff made and can not think of anywhere else that would do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Dang...that will be quite a bit less than than the Digital unit.
    Oh, oh...now I'm talking to myself. Morad no longer produces the 8' 156fg whip and recommends the 156hd unit akdeweyj got...post #10. Considering the extras needed to complete the Morad install and shipping, I'll probably end up with the "plug and play" Digital 529.

Not sure what they carry but saw some VHF antennas at Frigid North off Spenard, great shop for any electrical connections, switches, etc.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...HFAntenna.html

Here is an interesting read on antennas..... I ended up using this method but I don't know if its good or bad with nothing to compare it to.

Charterboat Operator

FWIW-- i have a Morad on my boat, have had for eight or 9 years. for those of us that trailer our boats and are constantly "laying down" the antenna,
    morads base is a weak point. they are awsome on boats that can leave them up and have another place to anchor them other than just the roof of the boat. i ended cutting my mast down from 8 feet to about 5, and this has helped, but am having to replace yet another base this fall. I am assuming that it is just from the weight and rigidity of the mast, and the constant pounding that the antenna takes.
    the bases are not expensive, just a pain to replace as you need to disconnect from antenna and pull all the wire thru the base, which in my case = pulling the headliner out of the boat and pulling all the cable outside, then thru the base, and rerunning it all back again.
    as i said not bad, but it takes me about 3 hours everytime I do it. I have not had a base last more than two years!
    i will try and grab a picture of the base that needs to be replaced this wknd, when i get down to show more of what i am talking about.
    I WILL state that i DO love my antenna, and have one of the better radios on the penninsula due to the Morad!
    I can litterally be at Tuxidney bay and talk to boats that are as ffar away as Elizabeth island... it is most impressive

You need to use a S.S. ratchets base not a plastic one.

The reason your happy with the Morad antenna performance is your talking to boats that used Shakespeare antennas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast