Thread: Rock fishing out of Seward in the winter?

Default Rock fishing out of Seward in the winter?

Just wondering if anyone fishes out of Seward or Whittier in the winter for rockfish/ling cod. Do the fish bit as well in the winter, or are there different approaches? Are they deeper or in the same places generally? I know most people don't go out when it gets really cold and most winterize their boats, but I have heard of some that do.
    Thanks.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

This summer was my first going out of Seward, the biggest downside I can see is the weather being agreeable and winter isn't going to help make the weather any better. Since it takes about an hour to get to decent rockfish I can't imagine there being many good weekends even if the fish are there.

I've found that the bite is a bit slow during the winter. I think they might go deeper but not sure. And yes the weather gets a bit rough. Especially out of Seward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I've found that the bite is a bit slow during the winter. I think they might go deeper but not sure. And yes the weather gets a bit rough. Especially out of Seward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah Rob, with the cabin I'm down there almost every weekend, or at least twice a month. Sometimes it's just flat as a pancake and I''m thinking it would be cool to just run out to the Chiswells. Of course, like you, I need to get another boat first. Soon though, soon...
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Haven't had a chance to fish for rockfish in the winter, but I imagine you don't need to run all the way to the Chiswell's. There are some good spots in the bay, and around Aialik point.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Most of the black rockfish and lingcod move away ( deeper) during the winter. I usually don't start seeing schools of them until April or May. There are a few quilbacks and yellow eyes around and an occasional school of yellow tail or dusky rockers but not like the peak season. I imagine they follow the bait.