Thread: Chugach State Park Brown bear - DB470 hunt

Default Chugach State Park Brown bear - DB470 hunt

I was lucky enough to pull the Chugach state park brown bear hunt, I've been hiking and glassing most of the area pretty regularly since April, accessing ship creek valley and Indian creek from south fork eagle River, Triangle pass, Powerline pass and from ship lake, seen 10 or 11 brownies in there, a couple good sized ones, I've heard stories of big boys in the penguin creek and bird creek drainage and most likely a larger population in there with the bigger salmon run, I've never been back in there just glassed it from the top of bird ridge. Looks pretty densely forested and hard to hunt until up by bird pass. I was wondering how the hike in is after you cant take the wheelers any farther, is there a good trail that goes to the bird pass area or just follow game trails? Any good places to get across bird creek? Any places to be able to glass the creek from? Any info from anybody that has been back in there or that has done this hunt before would be appreciated. I'm planning on going in for 5 days next week from the south fork side, if I don't see much there I was planning on trying bird creek towards the middle of October.

Go sit on the powerline at Indian. Ive seen a ton of big browns out there..

But......BUT........A ton of 1,000 pound big browns is ONLY two bears.........

Quote Originally Posted by Devaro121 View Post
    Go sit on the powerline at Indian. Ive seen a ton of big browns out there..

There is a good trail to follow out of the Bird Creek trailhead. As you mentioned, ATVs get you in about 5 miles, and then it's walking. The hiking trail goes about 3 miles before you ford Bird Creek. There is a rope across the river to help. Water is about mid thigh height depending on river stage. Completely doable. Trail continues on the north side of Bird Creek all the way up and through Bird Pass. Somebody was in and cut/cleared many of the blow downs this year making it very easy to follow in the woods. Just after fording Bird Creek there is about a mile of hiking through head high grass. Use your route finding skills to follow the trail. It is there and fairly easy to follow even when it just looks like a sea of grass up ahead. Never been off the trail after you cross the small tributary creek that runs the length of Bird Pass, so I don't know how hiking further upstream in Bird Creek is. Memory seems to recall that it is fairly well wooded and glassing may be difficult.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Arent you a clever one? Haha, seriously though, every year on the last 3 days of moose hunting out there I go out to the green box after work and usually see at least 3 different bears, mainly big browns, all up and down the powerline.