Thread: Clarification on MacLaren Summit trail, need hunters to keep an eye on it.

Default Clarification on MacLaren Summit trail, need hunters to keep an eye on it.

One of the things that Frank discussed while I was in Glennallen was that there has been some confusion in times past about whether part or all of the MacLaren Summit trail is in the Clearwater Controlled Use Area. Recently, they have updated or gotten new GIS programming and they have confirmed that the whole of the Summit Trail IS within the MacLaren drainage which makes it a part of the Clearwater Controlled Use Area. F&G is the sole agency which determines that, BLM has nothing to do with the CCUA so their opinion really doesn't have anything to do with it.

That said, that is why they went and put up the new, giant sign at the beginning of the trail that 4th graders should be able to read and understand. However, both Frank and a number of other people have witnessed a ton of idiots acting as if they cant read English and using the trail to hunt caribou anyway. The best medicine would be for the Troopers to hide themselves across the way and give tickets to 20 people in one day for using it to hunt, but they are pretty busy doing other stuff I guess.

I highly recommend that if you see anybody using that trail, obviously to hunt, especially if you see them hauling an animal out, you should take photographs and videos and submit a report including that evidence to the Troopers. Apparently, BLM successfully made a case against somebody abusing the TLAD trail rules (running off trail to hunt in the archaeological district) with video taken by another hunter. This obviously goes for anywhere in the Controlled Use Area, but this seems like such a no-brainer with the new signs. People driving past the sign and willingly ignoring it deserve to get cited for this and the only possible way that they will is if we police ourselves and report them. I'm not really a fan of the CCUA, I hunt south of the highway so I can use motors, but it's disgusting that people scoff the rules in such a plain, obvious location.

Be safe, be incredibly careful confronting anybody (or better yet, don't). I can only imagine how insulting it is to those walking in to see somebody running a side-by-side past them.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Thanks for the post. As a non-motorized hunter that relies on the CCUA to fill the freezer, I can say it is invaluable to people like us and I have to consider such non-motorized hunting areas as a very small concession compared to the entire huntable areas in the State.

With that said, I hope this clarification doesn't just result in another motorized trail going in parallel to the existing one just out of the drainage boundary. It probably will, though.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    The best medicine would be for the Troopers to hide themselves across the way and give tickets to 20 people in one day for using it to hunt, but they are pretty busy doing other stuff I guess.

I highly recommend that if you see anybody using that trail, obviously to hunt, especially if you see them hauling an animal out, you should take photographs and videos and submit a report including that evidence to the Troopers. Apparently, BLM successfully made a case against somebody abusing the TLAD trail rules
    Budget cuts.. Only one, maybe two Troopers between Glennallen and Tok... And people know this. Some idiot ran UP the Maclaren last week in a jet boat and shot a big bull caribou. Big No-No.... I'm afraid that self policing will work faster then the cops..

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    ........ Some idiot ran UP the Maclaren last week in a jet boat and shot a big bull caribou. Big No-No....

.................................................. ...............

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    I'm afraid that self policing will work faster then the cops..
    ....SS&S....
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    .................................................. ...............
    Hey, I heard it 3rd party, so I couldn't "officially" confirm. But after my wife's sister spoke to this idiots girlfriend the other day, it would "appear" that it is in fact true..

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    ....SS&S....
    I'm sure there are plenty of people out there doing just that...

One of the things that Frank discussed while I was in Glennallen was that there has been some confusion in times past about whether part or all of the MacLaren Summit trail is in the Clearwater Controlled Use Area. Recently, they have updated or gotten new GIS programming and they have confirmed that the whole of the Summit Trail IS within the MacLaren drainage which makes it a part of the Clearwater Controlled Use Area. F&G is the sole agency which determines that, BLM has nothing to do with the CCUA so their opinion really doesn't have anything to do with it.

That said, that is why they went and put up the new, giant sign at the beginning of the trail that 4th graders should be able to read and understand. However, both Frank and a number of other people have witnessed a ton of idiots acting as if they cant read English and using the trail to hunt caribou anyway. The best medicine would be for the Troopers to hide themselves across the way and give tickets to 20 people in one day for using it to hunt, but they are pretty busy doing other stuff I guess.

I highly recommend that if you see anybody using that trail, obviously to hunt, especially if you see them hauling an animal out, you should take photographs and videos and submit a report including that evidence to the Troopers. Apparently, BLM successfully made a case against somebody abusing the TLAD trail rules (running off trail to hunt in the archaeological district) with video taken by another hunter. This obviously goes for anywhere in the Controlled Use Area, but this seems like such a no-brainer with the new signs. People driving past the sign and willingly ignoring it deserve to get cited for this and the only possible way that they will is if we police ourselves and report them. I'm not really a fan of the CCUA, I hunt south of the highway so I can use motors, but it's disgusting that people scoff the rules in such a plain, obvious location.

Be safe, be incredibly careful confronting anybody (or better yet, don't). I can only imagine how insulting it is to those walking in to see somebody running a side-by-side past them.
    Actually the big sign that a 4th grader could read only states this trail enters, not your entering the ccu. Why would they not post a sign that says your entering the ccu then. There on the road but not here. Sounds a little suspicious to me. I read the sign, don't this the first stretch enters the ccu, based of what I could tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this trail needs to be clearly posted. Why would I want to turn in a hunter when adfg has clearly Mis managed this area and left to much up to interpretation. If it's in the ccu then looks like to me that troopers just want an I got you moment, which is complete BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red face pics

Itnis now clearly posted. The first pic is a huge billboard at the trailnead and the second a picture of the downhill view a quarter mile from the sign all downhill to the maclaren.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Maybe we need to have that area set-up so that everyone must hire a Alaskan Hunting Guide........... Odd how in the old days a man knew where he was, and now even with GPS equipment people are bewildered about where they are.

I set up on the highway and prepared to take pictures, but couldn't locate any offenders after the trail was properly marked. However...because I couldn't find anyone violating that law, I switched to another and took photos of everyone that was driving down the road without a seatbelt. Made sure that I included a close-up of not only their ugly mug, but also their license plate. Large file of offenders went to AST this morning. (pssst, it's a joke)