Thread: Big-Su from Denali Hwy.

Sponsor

Default Big-Su from Denali Hwy.

Just wondering about the river? I've heard mixed reviews about the water and navigation. River rookie for the most part, but do pretty good. 3 years experience on the Big-Su out of Deshka, Alexander, Yentna and all the waters to Skwentna. Will be in my 2015 Wooldridge Alaskan, 80 jet.

Thanks for any info

Chris

I've used a long tail mud motor there before. In the spring it worked fine, in the fall the silt/sand wore the prop down pretty quick.
    I would think it would be a little hard on you jet, but I sure it will work.
    Chris

The river rises and falls on a sunny or clouded day sometimes two or three feet. Be careful.

Only way to get better is get in your boat and go! Bring some recovery eq. to get yourself going again and run it. Lower water means the channels bsecome more obvious. Your boat is excellent and more than capable to run skinny water.
    Have fun and be safe.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Sponsor

Well... that was a great learning experience! The hard way. Ended up in a braid that ran out of water, 3 1/2 hours and an airboat later I was back in the water and running. (Thanks Joe and Karen!)

If anyone is board one day and would like to meet me on a local river I'd like to learn, BS and go for a ride, I'll buy the fuel too.

Chris

Well, you can't say ya didn't try....

Quote Originally Posted by Screaming Eagle View Post
    Well... that was a great learning experience! The hard way. Ended up in a braid that ran out of water, 3 1/2 hours and an airboat later I was back in the water and running. (Thanks Joe and Karen!)

If anyone is board one day and would like to meet me on a local river I'd like to learn, BS and go for a ride, I'll buy the fuel too.

Chris
    Glad you went, those are memories your making. Each time out you will get better.
    What did you learn, if you don't mind sharing along with your list of recovery tools?
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    .......along with your list of recovery tools?
    Bk
    Sounds like he was packing an airboat lol
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Sponsor

I did pack an airboat! I don't think I would have went as far as I did if they weren't with me.

I learned I can't read water! I can see the differences, but I have a hard time making split decisions on step. It was hard for me to see the flow and where the deeper water, if you want to call it that, was located. Most of the braids looked the same and there was no way for me to tell the difference. The problems for me started as soon as I hit the water, even in front of the ramp at the bridge the water looked the same, but sand bars were just inches under the water. The edges eventually ran out of water and from what I could tell, the main channel crosses the center a lot more than I expected.

I packed rope, pulleys, come a long, shovel, chainsaw...the normal but nothing special. I knew a friend of mine in his airboat wasn't too far behind so I went for it. They had an electric winch and a high-lift jack. We ended up winching for a ways to a little deeper water, but not enough for me to get going. We hooked up about 100 feet of rope and ended up pulling me back to good water with the airboat. I was impressed! I'm an airboater from back home but ended up going with the river boat for the family, I have a 4 and 7 year old. We did leave them home for this trip because I figured it wouldn't be too fun.
    I'll just keep going and learning, its all I can think to do. I will be looking at a portable winch and a land anchor for other trips like this.

Take a look at the Simpson winch. It is a 18lb rope capstan, Honda gas powered winch. Mine has saved my bacon more times than I can count and I don't leave home without it and at least 400ft of rope.
    No need for land anchor- just bury your normal anchor it will dig in enough to allow you to pull to deeper water. I have used my richtor anchor several times and it worked just fine.
    Mike