Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unit 13 Caribou Hunt Extension

Default Unit 13 Caribou Hunt Extension

ADF&G just announced that they are extending all Game Unit 13 caribou hunts until September 30th instead of September 20th. The hunt is still scheduled to re-open on October 21st and continue until March 31st. They are not expected to reach the hunt quota. This information should be available soon on the Fish and Game website at www.hunt.alaska.gov
    Good Luck!

Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

If they are so worried about the population they could have given the 5 people i know who put in for them some lovin in the draw permits!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems ironic that they increase the tags and can't kill enough. But I'm gonna attribute the lack of harvest to the unit 13 caribou tags not having specific areas assigned. With a general unit 13 tag the majority of folks are hunting the key access points, just read the stories that people are reporting! So the areas that used to have more hunting pressure because that's where permit holders HAD to hunt might not be getting hit like they used to. As a result, caribou travel thru the least threatening areas they can find.
    I think BOG kinda screwed the hunt over this year with these permit changes.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Seems ironic that they increase the tags and can't kill enough. But I'm gonna attribute the lack of harvest to the unit 13 caribou tags not having specific areas assigned. With a general unit 13 tag the majority of folks are hunting the key access points, just read the stories that people are reporting! So the areas that used to have more hunting pressure because that's where permit holders HAD to hunt might not be getting hit like they used to. As a result, caribou travel thru the least threatening areas they can find.
    For sure! The main access points are getting hammered. They should go back to draw areas and spread the effort around. +1

Has Yeti season been extended also? Is there also a push to harvest females? How have their migration paths been affected?

Have to agree with you on this one. I've hunted the eastern end of the highway in the past and have never seen the numbers of people that are there this year. Over the weekend we hunted back by Landmark Gap and while we were only 2 of 4 individuals in there first thing in the morning, we were joined hours later by a solid line of atv's and a couple of horseback hunters.

Those we talked with had not hunted the Denali before, but decided to give it a go this year since the animals are not showing up in the other areas. Highway looked like a campground with all the travel trailers and 5th wheels.

The yeti migration hasn't started yet, high water and debris floating north of Devils canyon has slowed their crossing. We may start seeing good movement once it starts freezing up high and the river drops. Harvest is normal so far, a community from copper center traveled to their traditional hunting grounds on foot with travois and where able to corner up several family groups
    And cull them with spears and rocks. Looks like they salvaged the liver and kidneys as well, can't say if they kept the rib meat
    On the bone. Man I hope so, we all know taking ribs off the bone deserves a citation!! When I flew over they were hanging meat on smoker racks on the bluffs above Devils canyon. Looked like a good community harvest hunt!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Do away with the Nelchina caribou Subsistence and Community Harvest hunts and go to a draw permit. Quit restricting Unit 13 caribou hunters to moose hunting only in Unit 13.

Do away with the Nelchina Hot Line except for E.O. information. All it ever says is the caribou are widely scattered between Units 13, A and B and D.

Run a bulls only and cows with out calves season from August 1st to Sept. 25th.

Quit saying we have to kill a certain number of caribou. If there was so many caribou more would be shot as thousands hunt for them in Unit 13.

Good grief, how much time and money and resources does the state and it's hunters put into harvesting a caribou?

I should be in charge.

The quota hasn't been hit in the last two years. Restricting draw hunt areas would help some in spreading people out, but 8,000 Tier I permits are out there that has always been unit wide. So, I think you'll still have roving mobs on the highway and main trails. Likewise, issuing more permits is only going to make the crowding worse.

Up the limit for existing permit holders from 1 to 2. That, in my opinion will be most effective in getting the quota reached.

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    The quota hasn't been hit in the last two years. Restricting draw hunt areas would help some in spreading people out, but 8,000 Tier I permits are out there that has always been unit wide. So, I think you'll still have roving mobs on the highway and main trails. Likewise, issuing more permits is only going to make the crowding worse.

Up the limit for existing permit holders from 1 to 2. That, in my opinion will be most effective in getting the quota reached.
    There is still 4+ months of open season left for this hunt, no reason to change the number of animals per person on this hunt. The only reason the quota wasn't reached last year was because the entire heard except for a few random caribou left for Canada which isn't common. If they had hung around, it would have quickly been reached and the season most likely would have had to be closed early. This year's quota will probably be reached if they stay in the unit like they usually do for a good chunk of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    There is still 4+ months of open season left for this hunt, no reason to change the number of animals per person on this hunt. The only reason the quota wasn't reached last year was because the entire heard except for a few random caribou left for Canada which isn't common. If they had hung around, it would have quickly been reached and the season most likely would have had to be closed early. This year's quota will probably be reached if they stay in the unit like they usually do for a good chunk of the time.
    I believe that going to Canada was common for the Nelchina herd in years past. Caribou are well known for doing the unexpected. The "Mulchatna" herd was not even named until the late 80's (I think) and has, for all apparent purposes, just about disappeared. Why would they do one thing (stay in unit13) over another (go to Canada), no one knows or even has a clue.

I always thought the issue was they ranged too far north into 40 mile territory and just far enough east to exit unit 13, guess I didn't realize they crossed the border. Perhaps we can build a wall and keep them from leaving.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Was there a winter hunt last year? It was my understanding that they were close enough to meeting the quota at the end of the fall season, that they didn't bother with opening the winter hunt. Am I remembering that incorrectly?

Haha,
    When I first read this thread I thought it said Unit 13 Caribou Extinction....My bad.....but fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Was there a winter hunt last year? It was my understanding that they were close enough to meeting the quota at the end of the fall season, that they didn't bother with opening the winter hunt. Am I remembering that incorrectly?
    Yes, there was a winter hunt for the entire winter season, but almost the entire heard went east outside of the unit (which ADF&G stated was unusual) so there were very few animals taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I believe that going to Canada was common for the Nelchina herd in years past. Caribou are well known for doing the unexpected. The "Mulchatna" herd was not even named until the late 80's (I think) and has, for all apparent purposes, just about disappeared. Why would they do one thing (stay in unit13) over another (go to Canada), no one knows or even has a clue.
    They head that direction on a normal schedule, but not to the extreme that happened last year. There are usually far more that stay somewhere in the unit 13 area. The entire heard moving outside of the unit and over to Canada was unusual. The harvest in the winter season is usually fairly good, but last year it was almost nothing despite a good amount of hunting pressure.

If they can't make quota and the herd is over carrying capacity, there needs to be a registration hunt. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    If they can't make quota and the herd is over carrying capacity, there needs to be a registration hunt. Period.
    No way in hell. I gave up moose hunting outside of 13 to get a tier 1 tag. Up the limit for those of us with tier tags or draw permits, or shoot them from helicopters, but no registration. There's still a winter hunt until 3/31 anyway. Way too premature comments, imo.

I agree. I'd gladly go out and take another in the name of conservation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast