Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone RE-LOADING .300 AAC BLACKOUT Cartridges........????

Default Is anyone RE-LOADING .300 AAC BLACKOUT Cartridges........????

Title pretty much say's it all. Only other thing is are people loading heavy bullets for NON-Sound Suppressed applications.....???

Yes and no.

Lil' Gun for supersonic up to 125gr bullet. A1680 for heavy subs. There's really no point in loading heavies that are not subs as you can't get them to go fast enough to match the energy provided by the lightweights going faster. And they are just as loud.

Thanks...........If we set aside any relevance of sound, and we say volume of sound just does not matter. If we pretend that the only firearm owned is chambered in .300 AAC BLACKOUT. What weight bullet would we get the deepest penetration in ballistic test material........???

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    Yes and no.

Lil' Gun for supersonic up to 125gr bullet. A1680 for heavy subs. There's really no point in loading heavies that are not subs as you can't get them to go fast enough to match the energy provided by the lightweights going faster. And they are just as loud.

Remember what Elmer Keith said a long time ago. "SPEED KILLS"

Default Is anyone RE-LOADING .300 AAC BLACKOUT Cartridges........????

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Thanks...........If we set aside any relevance of sound, and we say volume of sound just does not matter. If we pretend that the only firearm owned is chambered in .300 AAC BLACKOUT. What weight bullet would we get the deepest penetration in ballistic test material........???
    That's a good question and I'll be standing by to see what others say. I am under the impression that the Barnes 110gr black tips are the best performers out there, but no first hand knowledge.

As for pure penetration, the slow heavies drill long holes but little to no expansion. At least in the pictures I've seen.

Just penetration..........expansion not considered, I think the 150 gr. FMJ-BT will out penetrate the 110 gr........What I wonder is would a 220 gr. FMJ penetrate deeper than the 150 gr. FMJ-BT.......assuming both the 220FMJ and the 150 FMJ were loaded to max pressure. Then where would a bullet like the 180 Hot-Core Bonded (Intended for much higher velocity) which would not expand unless it impacted a large bone, and even then maybe no expansion at .300 AAC Blackout Velocities, what would it's penetration depth be relative to the others, again assuming max pressure load.

Sounds like you're working a pretty specialized application. Let us know how it turns out.

Not really.........I have a fascination with versatile firearms and cartridges. This whole .300 AAC Blackout, is not a road I wanted to go down, but Sub-sonic .308 Winchester ammo, does not seem to exist in Alaska, while abundant outside. Yet everyone in Anchorage carries 220 gr. sub-sonic ammo for the Blackout.

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    Sounds like you're working a pretty specialized application. Let us know how it turns out.

I have 2 chambered for .300 AAC, an AR and a TC Encore. I really like the Encore the best.

Any one re-load for the 30-30 cartridge.......??? Especially heavy bullets. Should be about the same performance.

little late to the message, but I did some of my own testing with home made ballistic gel and some 300BLK rounds- this is what I found. I can dig up photos if you care...

my own reloads, Lehigh 194 Sub expanding, 1050fps - 15" penetration, massive expansion and wound channel
    Hornady 208g A-Max, 1021FPS , 17" penetration, no expansion, tumbled
    Gemtech 187g, 1011FPS, 23" penetration, no expansion, did not tumble
    Remington Hog Hammer 130g, 1987FPS, 26" penetration, slight expansion and decent wound channel
    Barnes 110g TAC-TX, 2123FPS, 17" penetration, full expanded and decent wound channel
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Thanks.........great information, and not at all what I would have expected......Looks like I need some "Oinker-Hammers"

Interesting that the A-Max tumbled. Soooooif you had to create the deepest penetrating load, with not caring about volume, roughly what would it look like.....??? Again thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Swissy View Post
    little late to the message, but I did some of my own testing with home made ballistic gel and some 300BLK rounds- this is what I found. I can dig up photos if you care...

my own reloads, Lehigh 194 Sub expanding, 1050fps - 15" penetration, massive expansion and wound channel
    Hornady 208g A-Max, 1021FPS , 17" penetration, no expansion, tumbled
    Gemtech 187g, 1011FPS, 23" penetration, no expansion, did not tumble
    Remington Hog Hammer 130g, 1987FPS, 26" penetration, slight expansion and decent wound channel
    Barnes 110g TAC-TX, 2123FPS, 17" penetration, full expanded and decent wound channel

My results back a few years is a mirror of Swissy's. I have 10" and 16" uppers and for the subs the shorter barrel worked best for me. I got NO expansion at all from anything heavy and figured other than shooting head shots on bad guys at close range with a can there is little use for them in my world. The BO is OK with supers at a reasonable range but the .308 sub won't shoot the heavy subs unless you have a fast twist...1 in 10" won't do it. Best sub I can think of is a .45-70 500gr at 1050FPS...now that's a hammer up close!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    My results back a few years is a mirror of Swissy's. I have 10" and 16" uppers and for the subs the shorter barrel worked best for me. I got NO expansion at all from anything heavy and figured other than shooting head shots on bad guys at close range with a can there is little use for them in my world. The BO is OK with supers at a reasonable range but the .308 sub won't shoot the heavy subs unless you have a fast twist...1 in 10" won't do it. Best sub I can think of is a .45-70 500gr at 1050FPS...now that's a hammer up close!
    which is why my next gel test in a next few weeks will be a 458Socom with a 500g subsonic expanding round
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

For that project.........I ended up with 24" 12ga with 6.5-24X scope, and 8" cartridge adapters in .45 Long Colt and .44 Special/Mag. & .410 shot/slug............The 24" full rifled 3" 12ga. is claimed by many to shoot sub-MOA but only with the $2.00 each Remington Slugs.

I came very close to getting the H&R 32" barreled 45-70 "Buffalo Classic" gun that you suggested. And I may still do that, I know that what you suggest is true and will work. (And if this bad boy looks like it is selling for under $399.00 I might do that tomorrow...........http://www.gunbroker.com/item/582604703 )

..... Best sub I can think of is a .45-70 500gr at 1050FPS...now that's a hammer up close!

Steve in North Pole had a Buffalo Classic for sale fairly cheap. Forgot the price. Phone 488-6012.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by Swissy View Post
    which is why my next gel test in a next few weeks will be a 458Socom with a 500g subsonic expanding round

factory or hand loads ? if hand load, what bullet is this ?

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    For that project.........I ended up with 24" 12ga with 6.5-24X scope, and 8" cartridge adapters in .45 Long Colt and .44 Special/Mag. & .410 shot/slug............The 24" full rifled 3" 12ga. is claimed by many to shoot sub-MOA but only with the $2.00 each Remington Slugs.

I came very close to getting the H&R 32" barreled 45-70 "Buffalo Classic" gun that you suggested. And I may still do that, I know that what you suggest is true and will work. (And if this bad boy looks like it is selling for under $399.00 I might do that tomorrow...........http://www.gunbroker.com/item/582604703 )
    Have a buffalo classic but have not tinkered with subs (yet) - I can assure you that it hits with authority

AGL,

How accurate are those 8" adapters? I've been tempted to try them but I've heard they shoot patterns not groups. #2 son has a 22LR for a .410 single shot and he had hit the barrel with the bullet on the way out and they shoot way outside spruce chicken at 15 yds.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I don't know, I have not started the tests. That said, I can be happy with 24 MOA, as that would give me 6" at 25 yards, (Enough to brain a moose or bear) and do it quietly with sub-sonic .45 Long Colt. My application is "Kicks & Giggles"......research for post SHTF survival.

AGL,

How accurate are those 8" adapters? I've been tempted to try them but I've heard they shoot patterns not groups. #2 son has a 22LR for a .410 single shot and he had hit the barrel with the bullet on the way out and they shoot way outside spruce chicken at 15 yds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast