Thread: Is anyone running a Honda pioneer?

Default Is anyone running a Honda pioneer?

My wife really wants us to get a side by side. But she insists we need a four seater! With a your child it does make sense. But I don't want a long rig. It just seems to me that it wouldn't do that well.
    I stopped in the Honda shop and we found the pioneer 5 seater.
    It looks like the perfect compromise to me, but I don't know anyone who has one.
    I know Hondas are great machines, but we had some big reds on a job site a few years back and they were terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched one of the small Pioneers up at Eureka two weekends ago. It scared me just to watch that thing almost tip over side to side with each little rut in the trail. There always seemed to be one or two tires in the air as it tipped its way down the trail. It was like it didn't have any suspension travel or something, scary. ATV's with a similar narrow width motored by on the same trail with tires on the ground. I'm sure being a Honda the engine and transmission are great, but there is no way I'd consider that little guy, hopefully the larger 4 seater has better suspension and wheelbase.

There are no used Pioneers for sale. Someone must like them.

I have a 2016 Honda Pioneer 700-4 that my wife surprised me with. I had my heart on the 1000-5 however with the research that was involved the 700 is a simplified machine. It's narrower and has a good clearance. It doesn't have power steering however we have yet to find a time where we would really appreciate it. The cost between the two are a lot different too. Along with the accessories which you would spend more on with the 1000. You can easily fit 5 in the 700 but only have 4 seat belts. My 700 has hard cab, soft doors, glass windshield, wiper, auxiliary switch kit, and mudlite 26" tires. No lift and it stands almost as tall as my buddies 2016 ranger 900 with a 2" lift ( he has the lift, not mine! ) I love it. We went 50 miles back behind eureka and it did great. With no low or high speed it's different but you just have to adjust to the shifting. We love it!!! Side not if you get one and plan on a big trip I would suggest running 10-40 rather than 10-30 if your towing. It'll help keep the motor cooler and maintain a better pressure. It's a great ride!

2005 Weldcraft 24' Ocean King
    Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK

Quote Originally Posted by spyguy386 View Post
    I have a 2016 Honda Pioneer 700-4 that my wife surprised me with. I had my heart on the 1000-5 however with the research that was involved the 700 is a simplified machine. It's narrower and has a good clearance. It doesn't have power steering however we have yet to find a time where we would really appreciate it. The cost between the two are a lot different too. Along with the accessories which you would spend more on with the 1000. You can easily fit 5 in the 700 but only have 4 seat belts. My 700 has hard cab, soft doors, glass windshield, wiper, auxiliary switch kit, and mudlite 26" tires. No lift and it stands almost as tall as my buddies 2016 ranger 900 with a 2" lift ( he has the lift, not mine! ) I love it. We went 50 miles back behind eureka and it did great. With no low or high speed it's different but you just have to adjust to the shifting. We love it!!! Side not if you get one and plan on a big trip I would suggest running 10-40 rather than 10-30 if your towing. It'll help keep the motor cooler and maintain a better pressure. It's a great ride!

Thanks for the review. This is the kind of info I'm looking for.

I've got a 2015 700-4 and love it. Never had any issues going through or over anything. I love the short wheel base. Keep in mind its not a rzr or anything like that so you won't be tearing up the trails at any considerable speed. With that said the suspension could use a little work, but with the addition of some spacers in the front it improved alot. The addition of some Fox shocks have been reported to be amazing.
    Some have reported a loss of power while going up hills, I've yet to experience it with a full bed load and trailer load.
    I like the option of being able to haul 4 adults and the kids around at Knik or have the bed for when its me and a buddy hunting. I've thought about the 1000-5 but think its just to big.
    I would wait and see what they have for 2017, might have some new goodies. The fabric cab is ok but has alot of holes where air can blow in. Not to fun when winter hunting. The hard roof and glass windshield is a must.
    Check out Honda Pioneer Riders on Facebook
    Attached Images Attached Images

Heres a couple more
    Attached Images Attached Images

How do you like the track system? Have you done many accessories, and have you mastered the throttle for climbing hills while towing? It's new to me and don't think I've figured that out.
    Also..... The 2017 700-4 Deluxe will have manual or automatic transmission as well as power steering. And to top that you get the paddle shifters too

Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    Heres a couple more
    How do you like the track system? Have you done many accessories, and have you mastered the throttle for climbing hills while towing? It's new to me and don't think I've figured that out.
    Also..... The 2017 700-4 Deluxe will have manual or automatic transmission as well as power steering. And to top that you get the paddle shifters too

Keepin R' Wet
    Wasilla, AK