Thread: Moose Float 2016

Default Moose Float 2016

Not wanting to be too wordy, but here goes.
    After much planning and gear collecting (face it, float hunting begets gear collecting), my best friend and I were finally ready for departure last Saturday. We had always wanted to hunt River X, and float hunting seemed like the only feasible method.
    So we loaded up and cast off.
    Saturday was mixed rain and sun as we flew in to the headwaters lake in his C-180. Snow was low on the hills but it cleared over night and Sunday dawned bluebird.

We loaded up the Levitator and headed down the outlet creek. An hour of walking the boat through rapids and rocky chutes got us to the main river. More of a large creek really, but we'll call it a river.

The first few KMs were going to make it or break it. The water was class III but the Lev handled it well.

We were soon out of it, and the river slowed down into swampy oxbows. We didn't waste too much time hunting this section, as we wanted to get down into the buck brush meadows here we suspected the bulls would be.
    We had a great camp at the mouth of a creek and chilled out by the fire.

The next morning we labored through the remaining slack water and finally hit the faster, shallower section. Beautiful meadows and Pine flats dominated the landscape. We happened upon a 2 year old still with its mother, but passed on that. Around the next corner we happened upon another larger bull, but the wind was not in our favor and he buggered off quickly.
    We made camp in some Spruce across from some meadows and began calling.
    At 7 PM, just as we finished supper, we heard a bull calling from across the river, and one 160 gr. Accubond from my 7mm RM Tikka sealed the deal.

We butchered until about midnight and called it a night as it had been pouring rain since about 10 PM.
    It POURED all night, but 6 AM showed clearing skies, and by 8 AM it was a lovely, sunny fall day.
    We finished cleaning everything up and were loaded on the river by 12:30 PM.

We floated and enjoyed the day down through the nicest section of river. Fall colors abounded.

Its hard work at the bow.

Great trip. Love the Levitator. For this trip, 2 of us, gear (we had food for 7 days) and one Moose seemed perfect. River X is a very shallow affair, with many sections where you could walk across in rubber boots. We were making it through braided sections in less than 6" of water. It has a few beauty marks now, but still looks pretty much like new.
    Definitely a convert. There is simply no other way to get away from the crowds.
    Thanks to all the Forum members who contributed knowledge on gear and to Larry at Pristine for developing this rig.
    Last edited by Brian M; 09-16-2016 at 06:47.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Fantastic! Man, that looks like a wonderful way to hunt. Good job on the planning and execution.

None of the photos are showing. I'd love to see them. Sounds like a great trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful photos, congrats on a full freezer and time spent in such wonderful country.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Pics don't show up for me either???

I see no pics either.
    Tried to find "river x" and "headwaters lake" in the Ak Gazateer to no avail. What page is on??
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

pics no worky for me neither....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Pics came through here. Looks like a great way to hunt and congrats on a nice moose. Appreciate you sharing the adventure.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Ok. Pics work on my phone, just not on my work computer. Must be the way in which the pics were stored/loaded. Beautiful float trip. That would be a blast. Nice hunt.

How did you float River x then get back to floatplane C?

Sounds like there's more to this story, probably a floatplane D as well

Then how do you split moose A up with plane C, plane D and raft B? Do you go by equipment cost, fuel use or sweat equity?

I also feel bad for plane C being left all alone in bear country by itself in the dark! Poor Cessna. Was it happy to see plane D? Did it wag its rudder?

Quote Originally Posted by 907jeff View Post
    I also feel bad for plane C being left all alone in bear country by itself in the dark! Poor Cessna. Was it happy to see plane D? Did it wag its rudder?
    That's some pretty complicated math you're laying down dude.
    Well, wee C-180 is still at the lake, meeting up with a buddy with a 185 to fly back in for retrieval tomorrow. Hope the bears were feeling kind.
    (A/2)+(C+D+E)/2 where C=180 GPH, D=185 GPH and D=beer and rum.
    Basically, it was a at cost trip. Thinking we burned about 30 USG in the 180. The 185 trip will be maybe a 25 minute flight, and he's doing some gear shuttles for his cabin anyway, so we're bringing him 20 USG of avgas.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I knew there was booze somewhere in this story! If you ever make it to south central AK look me up. I owe you some beers for the laughs. I liked your adventure.

Photos didn't show up in Safari web browser for me. Tried with Chrome and it worked.

Looks like a great trip - congrats on a nice bull!