Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which ATV?

Default Which ATV?

After Christmas the wife and I plan to get an ATV to do some minor trail riding and then use it for hunting. I've narrowed it down to the Grizzly 700 or the Honda Rubicon. My question is what's everyone's opinion about these two? Reliability is what I'm most concerned with. Just hoping to hear from users out there. Also open to other machines as well and opinions of those as well.

I know plenty of people who have semi-stock 700 grizzlies (winch and 589's) and ones that are all outfitted up and decked out, they are awesome. Some of these guys just flat out run these things like they stole 'em and they just keep chuggin' along. The places they go and the s*** they put these things through is really impressive..
    I've always been a Honda guy, and I'm partial too them, but my next 4-wheeler will be a 700 Grizz....

You've narrowed it down to 2 pretty bulletproof rigs. I'm going the other way though and going to say the Honda. They don't ride as well. But no belt and clutches. The Hondas will run forever.

I may be in the minority, but I don't think I'll ever buy another four wheeler. I'm sold on six wheelers. They do better in the mud, haul gear better without the need for a trailer, are almost impossible to roll over backwards....I could go on. Both machines you mentioned have great reputations, but without six wheels I for one wouldn't be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by aktn23 View Post
    After Christmas the wife and I plan to get an ATV to do some minor trail riding and then use it for hunting. I've narrowed it down to the Grizzly 700 or the Honda Rubicon. My question is what's everyone's opinion about these two? Reliability is what I'm most concerned with. Just hoping to hear from users out there. Also open to other machines as well and opinions of those as well.
    I have a 2015 rubicon and a 2015 griz 550. I ride the rubicon a lot. It has manual transmission cuz I opted for one less electronic part to fail. After riding them both I might have chosen the Honda in auto tranny. The griz has auto transmission. My friend has the 700 griz and loves it. He is often pulling a meat wagon or gear wagon. If you're not pulling a wagon the 550 is big enough in my opinion. Both of my rigs are great rides. Pretty similar. My Honda may ride a bit smoother but it might be cuz I usually have some extra weight on it when I take it out. I like that the griz has handle bars that are higher up. It makes it more comfortable for the arms.
    Not a lot of diff other than that. I added winches and hand AND thumb warmers ( make sure u ask if the thumb warmers come with- the griz did not) I also put the aluminum skid plates on my Honda for extra protection. I think that was a good move.
    One main reason I opted for the Honda originally is its dependability and the fact it has no 'belts' to have issues with, unlike all the other brands. So consider that.
    I'll be curious to see what u choose.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I may be in the minority, but I don't think I'll ever buy another four wheeler. I'm sold on six wheelers. They do better in the mud, haul gear better without the need for a trailer, are almost impossible to roll over backwards....I could go on. Both machines you mentioned have great reputations, but without six wheels I for one wouldn't be interested.
    I agree Brian. I've pretty much had them all over the years Brian. 3 wheelers. Argo's. 4x4's. Sportsman 6x6 and now a Ranger 6x6. The stability of the 6x6 is unmatched. I love them and won't go back. And don't beat you to death like an Argo does.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    The stability of the 6x6 is unmatched. I love them and won't go back. And don't beat you to death like an Argo does.
    Yep but the 6x6 does not float very long
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Thank you for all the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Exactly what he said! Buy a 2-UP Big Boss w/570cc. I went from the Big Red in my avatar to a 6x6 sportsman and then bought a ranger and never sold the sportsman, like I intended. Love to have the 2-up 6x6. You won't be sorry with a 6x6.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Yep but the 6x6 does not float very long
    That's not always a bad thing. We have had our Argos take off floating down rivers spinning like tops where the Ranger 6x6 will walk right across them. Now we have swam across lakes with the Argos and left the others behind so it's all give and take and you tend to hunt the terrain that best suited your equipment. Or visa versa. That's why I this. If the op intends to make any deep fast water river crossings, a rig that is designed to float may not be the best option.

I have a 700 grizzly with EPS and a New Rubican with the electronic shifter. There is no comparison with these two. I hate the Rubicon and how it shifts. It's extremely rough shifting. I love both Honda and Yamahas for their reliability but feature for feature, the grizzly is a much better machine. I use these machines for hunting lions in very rough country. I'd be glad to sell anyone this Rubican cheap, it's for sale. But I'm in Colorado. I'm replacing it with a Side by Side.

Quote Originally Posted by FullCryHounds View Post
    I have a 700 grizzly with EPS and a New Rubican with the electronic shifter. There is no comparison with these two. I hate the Rubicon and how it shifts. It's extremely rough shifting. I love both Honda and Yamahas for their reliability but feature for feature, the grizzly is a much better machine. I use these machines for hunting lions in very rough country. I'd be glad to sell anyone this Rubican cheap, it's for sale. But I'm in Colorado. I'm replacing it with a Side by Side.
    Interesting. Maybe I did good then getting the 'manual' shift on the Rubicon. Your 'rough shifting' must have to do with the Rubicon having actual 'gears' as opposed to the belt driven Griz. ??
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Honda are hands down the most reliable machines out there...mine has been hauling meat, firewood, gear, for 20 years with little maintenance and no signs of quitting. Took it out last week for a 30 mile ride crawling over logs and tussocks, through hip deep mud, no problemo....seen a lot of other brands bite the dust. Yamaha's ok, the rest are junk.....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by FullCryHounds View Post
    I own a 2015 Rubicon, manual shift, 35S Superwinch, stock tires. Every Honda I've owned has been a manual shift.
    The manual shift is the only way to go, tough and bulletproof. Why anyone would want an automatic or electronic shift is beyond me...

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    I own a 2015 Rubicon, manual shift, 35S Superwinch, stock tires. Every Honda I've owned has been a manual shift.
    The manual shift is the only way to go, tough and bulletproof. Why anyone would want an automatic or electronic shift is beyond me...
    Really? Well lets see now.... your at the bottom of a steep grade with a meat trailer loaded down behind you staring up to the top getting ready to make a go of it. You grab second and off you go trying to get as much momentum as possible, into the climb the bike starts slowing slowing slowing.....inevitably you try to downshift quickly into 1st and your momentum slows so much between shifts 1st finds you wheel hopping and loosing traction. If your smart you let off the throttle before the wheel hop puts you in a bad position, possibly even a flip over if your a novice and panic not letting off the go lever.
    Now your on an automatic atv.....you put her in low if your not already and off you go. Need more juice halfway up? Well it's simple, give er more throttle. I was once a "belt hater" myself but it's undeniable that they have evolved and are a good thing to have use of in many situations.
    My primary hunting rig was a 2002 Foreman 450es I bought new, did alot of mods to it making it an animal for what it was and used it 10 seasons racking up 3800 miles on it. I took all the goodies off it and put them on a 03' Foreman 450s I found with 200 miles and it now sits in my warm storage with 400+ miles on it....love the wheeler and will never sell it.
    In 2013 I bought a new Big Boss 6x6 since I new they had come a long ways since the one I bought new in 94'. If you have any kind of understanding of when to use low gear and how to not purposely smoke a belt you will have no problems. I use it very hard but don't TRY to ride like an idiot and I just used it in the 4th season pulling out the 4th moose with it and have 800 miles on it.....absolutely trouble free. I am very maintenance minded and generally care about my equipment so that doesn't hurt but when I hear people say Polaris/Can Am etc are junk it just makes me smile and say "yea ok".
    My Wife had a Honda 300 I found her years ago and put about 9 years of learning on it since it was a new experience to her, of course another great bike. After years of our annual July trip 60 miles in Ereaka up the Big O where we camp for a week she had an episode going up Monument on the way out....Miss shifted trying to gear down to 1st when she ran out of power on the way up and luckily did the right thing and held fast on the brakes waiting for me to help. After we got out I said "ok, time for you to get a new machine" so I let her sit on machines till one clicked for her and she ended with a 12' Grizzly 700 Special Edition with eps. I was afraid it may be too much for her but it's been an excellent fit for her....quite a nice machine.
    I grew up banging gears, raced 3 wheelers when they weren't considered evIL then on to dirtbikes. I still love shifting in the dirt with my Ktm's and Yamaha's but as a work machine in the woods there's absolutely nothing wrong with auto's.

Well if you put your automatic in low.. wouldn't you do the same with a manual? Put it in first...

I like my manual honda foreman as well. Never have had the 'oops wrong gear' scenario. When in doubt.. use 1st. Can always upshift.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Well if you put your automatic in low.. wouldn't you do the same with a manual? Put it in first...

I like my manual honda foreman as well. Never have had the 'oops wrong gear' scenario. When in doubt.. use 1st. Can always upshift.

You can in no way compare 1st on a manual machine to low on an auto machine. My Big Boss will stretch out in low if I want it too, 1st gear on your machine won't but ok different scenario of starting in 1st with a loaded trailer behind you....if you stay in first all the way up chances are you won't have enough momentum to carry through without loosing traction, shift for second and you may loose what forward motion you have between gears and same thing. Not everytime of course, but it does happen if you want to be honest ....or mabey your not pulling the weight I may be or going up the same inclines.
    My Foreman 450 has served me well, just not as well at times as it could have if not for gear selection. My Foreman isn't stock as well, some of the mods are a Detroit Gearless Locker in the front diff, Outlaws for mud or Black Diamonds on wheels for harder pack, SuperAtv power steering kit, Penland Eco-Series pipe, Twin Air filter, jetted, Gorilla Axels up front, Xtreme disc brake kit, Perfex long travel kit, Aftermarket shocks and on and on....one of the best mods I did was a 17% gear reduction using a primary out of an 85'Big Red that I had machined to fit my crank and a secondary/clutch basket from a Honda 300 4x4 to achieve the reduction. What I'm getting at is my Foreman is pretty **** capable for what it is but the between gears in the right conditions are a negative. Why not recognize an auto is better in those certain conditions and with my experience my Po Po or Poop Poop or whatever else Polaris gets called by some people can be just as reliable in my experiences anyway....why wouldn't I rather go THAT direction when I'm staring up that endless incline with a bull and gear attached to the back of my machine? Just my opinion.....

Default Which ATV?

It's amazing how big and comfy the new machines are and man they must really get it. Hell, I go to CO every Fall and get anywhere I need to be on an old 225 Moto4 usually riding double.

If I lived remote and needed a bulletproof machine that will last 20 years or more with nothing but oil changed then I would get a manual trans Honda or Yamaha big bear. If you are on the road system and have access to parts and time to do basic maintenance then a belt machine is a lot more capable. The belt drive automatics are flat out better at hauling heavy and especially doing it on steep hills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definately go honda. Do they still have just 3-wheel drive? Try to get a manual trans and even the straight rear axle to avoid torn cv boots. I owned a Foreman 500 and a Rincon 600 EFI. Those Hondas will keep you in safe places.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast