Thread: Kodiak Silvers

Default Kodiak Silvers

I was in Kodiak this past week and am leaving tomorrow. There were a couple of days of good weather, but too many days of wind and rain. So that goes.

Fishing silvers was spotty, but when you brought them in, some of the males were busters close to 19 pounds. Best results were those stuck in the gill nets in Kalsin Bay if you had subsistence friends, yet I did observe commuter anglers with occasional 2 fish limits on the Olds River.

The Emerald Isle is always worth my time...

Rosenberg; Bellevue, WA
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Today they issued an EO closing the Buskin River for silvers.

Kinda pays to get away from the meat lines on the rivers and find fish that aren't panicked by a cobweb of lines. We've had excellent luck fly fishing the Olds, but only when we got away from the masses and found relaxed fish. Sad to say, I saw guys flossing silvers in the Olds the last few days.

Flossers have been stomping the silvers at the mouth of the river at Pasagshak, but if you get away from folks and find relaxed fish, it's been good to hot.

Sent our visiting son-in-law offshore in our boat to our hot spot in yesterday's good weather. He and his bud got into them mooching 120' down in 200' of water. Seems they're really holding deep in the ocean for some reason this year, and the trollers are having trouble connecting. But a guy with open eyes and a little mooching experience can really connect. Nice average size too. They released a bunch, but came home with limits ranging from 12# to 17#.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Thanks for the updates. My 16 yr old daughter and I arrived in Kodiak yesterday. I guess we'll head out to the Olds this morning and see what happens. Tomorrow we go out on the salt. It's like Bernard said "it's always worth coming to Kodiak".

Have a good trip Paul. I know you are in the right place at the right time, and that your host welcomes your return. Keep an eye out for my medium-heavy Ugly Stick (some yellow banding), and my corresponding medium-heavy Penn Reel with braided line. Another guest was using it during the day of my pack-up earlier this month and I couldn't bring it home. When you find it, break down the rod and reel and pack them in my wheeled green cargo duffle that's in the rafters. Please give me a confirmation when / if you find it, and thanks.

A heavy Pixxe Spoon works great either side of the Olds Bridge...

Rosenberg; Bellevue, WA
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

This guy will be happy to see you at the Olds Bridge. Just waiting for more folks to catch his fish for him.

Photographed yesterday afternoon.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

We cut our day at the Olds short yesterday due to all the bear activity.

Bernard,

I can't find your rod in the garage. Any other place it might be at?

I sent you an email but I don't know if you got it. To communicate more directly you can email yoderpaul@gmail.com or call or text 864-985-3839.

Thanks,
    Paul

Default Kodiak

Interesting to hear of this bear activity there, was there really a few around / downstream of the highway bridge? In any case headed down they this weekend (as usual).

QUOTE=PaulYoder;1561570]Bernard,

I can't find your rod in the garage. Any other place it might be at?

I sent you an email but I don't know if you got it. To communicate more directly you can email yoderpaul@gmail.com or call or text 864-985-3839.

Thanks,
    Paul[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by bwake View Post
    Interesting to hear of this bear activity there, was there really a few around / downstream of the highway bridge? In any case headed down they this weekend (as usual).
    There are bears on all the rivers now, sometimes ranging below the highway bridges. They're mellow, but some have learned that rushing fishermen will cause them to back up and leave behind tasty fish. We just don't fish when there are bears nearby, and we don't kill fish unless we can take them immediately up and lock them in a cooler at our rig. Bears get real interested when watching you fight and land fish. They get interested in you in general if previous folks have left fish on the bank for them.

Only way to break that particular chain is to avoid landing fish within sight of the bears, then get rid of those you keep right away. Common sense, but that's often in short supply these days. Almost as if the guys are begging for bear encounters they can catch on their cell phones and GoPros, but not so good for the next folks on the river.
    Merle Haggard