Thread: Moose tape worms

Default Moose tape worms

Just curious how many people are seeing these tape worm cysts in their moose meat, all of the last 5 moose we've harvested have these nasty little buggers. Seem to be worse on the bigger bulls but the little ones have them too. Used to think they were just fat balls but when you look close they are surrounded by a clear fluid sack. These bulls are coming out of unit 20.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...isease.muscle1

Yum. Have never seen it.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Think I just died a little inside Brian lol... I'll never get use to that even being a science guy. The little buggers in my Kenai reds even bug me.

I've seen them in at least a couple caribou. I haven't noticed any in my moose, though.

I never have noticed them in moose but the last 4 caribou from unit 13 had them. Never too bad but noticed them none the less.

I hunt unit 20c. I've only seen them on one bull so far, but, yes they are around. My buddy took a bull three years ago and it had some suspicious cysts under the hide. We scraped a few into a sandwich bag and took them into a F&G biologist. He identified them as tape worm larvae. He said that they were not a problem for human consumption however dogs can contract the worms if they get to the raw scraps or gut pile.

Nothing noticed in 19c yet. Have found round leg worms in bears in that unit, though. Just picture a 9" long worm the thickness of your pinky crawling slowly out of a bullet wound when you approach the animal... backstraps fall off the dinner menu rather quickly.

A buddy and I got a 62" on the Yukon/Charley last year that was chock full, you would slice a steak off and there would be 6 or 7 on one side and flip it over and same thing on the other...... the animal had plenty of fat and appeared healthy otherwise. When my friend cleaned out the skull cavity he said they were in the brain, tongue, etc, he thought the bull would not have made it through the winter.

My friend at F&G said they are immature larvae, I told her psychologically they are FULLY mature... She also said they are in all caribou and moose, guess I have seen them before but a occasional one is no big deal, this critter was full.... my friend donated his 1/2 of the meat....
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I saw one out of Talkeetna a friend shot with those cysts on the leg but I already knew about it and I told the guys what they were.

I took a 50"bull couple of years ago in 13C. It was like the bull AKGRAMPS described. It had hundreds. It was fat and good tasting. But I cut every piece of meat by no more than 1/4 inch. Just icky looking.

I took a bull on Ft Rich during the winter archery hunt in Jan 2012 that was full of them. The backstraps were riddled with them. It appeared that they were more prevalent near the bones. They sure don't look appetizing.

I took a bull on Fort Rich in 2014 and the meat looked like it was full of rice. Taking the backstraps off was pretty nasty because there was not a square inch that didn't have these things in it. I thought about just having the whole thing turned into burger so I didn't have to try to pick them out when eating it. I went ahead and had it processed like normal but after it was cut up and frozen I never did see one in the meat after that. I don't know if they shrink when frozen or what but they seemed to dissappear. I just tried not to think about it when I was eating it and it tasted just fine. That's the only animal I have seen them in.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Back in the'80's I helped a friend harvest a 47" moose. That night with a roaring campfire we put some pieces on a stick and roasted them.

We both noticed a poping sound and liquid spray in our mouth which we then spit out. The next morning examining the meat we didn't find any worms but the meat was loaded with cyst.

arriving in town we contacted the F&G moose biologist who studied moose both here and in Sweden. He assured us the meat was safe to eat. He explain that it was the wolves that carried the parasite and defacated on the grasses then the Moose consumed the grass which then develop
    the cyst.

I chose to pay and have my half processed and donated to a poor family and explained what the biologist said. they were very gratefull.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    We both noticed a poping sound and liquid spray in our mouth which we then spit out. The next morning examining the meat we didn't find any worms but the meat was loaded with cyst.
    My stomach doesn't feel so good right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in AK View Post
    My stomach doesn't feel so good right now...
    Ah, who cares? Just about every vertebrate on the planet contains parasites, and tapeworms are probably the least of which to worry about. I personally have seen and pulled out mature tapeworms from a variety of critters, including Dall sheep and snowshoe hares. It is really gross when you see one still crawling around in the digestive tract. Tapeworms do very little harm to their hosts. Shoot, I would probably be better off if I had a tapeworm or two. Then maybe I could those a few extra pounds I've been trying to get rid of. The only rare occasion when tapeworms are a problem, is when the larval cysts called bladder worms form in the brain. But I do not believe those variety are even found in AK.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Ah, who cares? Just about every vertebrate on the planet contains parasites, and tapeworms are probably the least of which to worry about. I personally have seen and pulled out mature tapeworms from a variety of critters, including Dall sheep and snowshoe hares. It is really gross when you see one still crawling around in the digestive tract. Tapeworms do very little harm to their hosts. Shoot, I would probably be better off if I had a tapeworm or two. Then maybe I could those a few extra pounds I've been trying to get rid of. The only rare occasion when tapeworms are a problem, is when the larval cysts called bladder worms form in the brain. But I do not believe those variety are even found in AK.
    Everybody needs a pet tapeworm named Timmy!

Release Lake Trout

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk