Thread: My Wife Won A Gun At The Fair ...

Default My Wife Won A Gun At The Fair ...

So my wife and I are at the Alaska State Fair and we're just about ready to leave when my wife asks if we should buy a raffle ticket for the NRA gun raffle. I reply in the negative stating the odds are too low and it is just a waste of twenty bucks. I mean twenty bucks can buy 3 pork chops on a stick or almost two whole turkey legs!

Long story short, my wife disregarded my advice (no surprise there) and bought a ticket anyway. On the way home from the fair she gets a call on her cell that she has won! Yahoo !!

I already own several handguns, a hunting rifle, shotgun etc. So with a little help from an Army Ranger neighbor we picked out and ordered a Daniel Defense M4A1 rifle. Now here is the question. What would you put on such a gun for hardware? A red dot? Fixed sites? Or both? Brand names to look at would be appreciated.

I can't wait. My new gun should be here in about a week. Umm, I mean my wife's new gun.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by AKGunner View Post
    So my wife and I are at the Alaska State Fair and we're just about ready to leave when my wife asks if we should buy a raffle ticket for the NRA gun raffle. I reply in the negative stating the odds are too low and it is just a waste of twenty bucks. I mean twenty bucks can buy 3 pork chops on a stick or almost two whole turkey legs!

Long story short, my wife disregarded my advice (no surprise there) and bought a ticket anyway. On the way home from the fair she gets a call on her cell that she has won! Yahoo !!

I already own several handguns, a hunting rifle, shotgun etc. So with a little help from an Army Ranger neighbor we picked out and ordered a Daniel Defense M4A1 rifle. Now here is the question. What would you put on such a gun for hardware? A red dot? Fixed sites? Or both? Brand names to look at would be appreciated.

I can't wait. My new gun should be here in about a week. Umm, I mean my wife's new gun.

DD guns are pretty sweet. Seriously. It's a $20 gun, so why not get a good set of optics. Is it a 16" barrel? or longer?

Congrats to your wife! What kind of optics does she think she'd like to have on her new gun? What's she going to use it for?
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

It is a 14.5 inch barrel with a pinned flash suppresser. That apparently takes the length to 16 inches. I understand some people don't care for the pinned suppresser. It apparently makes it a gunsmith's job to change the suppresser.

It does seem like a pretty sweet gun. Myself and my wife are very likely to get some training using the gun in the near future. My neighbor said he'd take me to the range to get the basics down. I'll probably get the supplies for reloading 5.56/.223 as well. I have a couple of Dillion presses that could help keep the ammo prices a little more reasonable.

The bride should put what she wants on her gun. Don't buy her shoes also.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Congrats to your wife! What kind of optics does she think she'd like to have on her new gun? What's she going to use it for?
    Right or wrong she is taking my lead on this one. Overall I think she and I for that matter are looking at a home defense/range gun/boat gun(as in Prince William Sound)

Right or wrong she is taking my lead on this one. Overall I think she and I for that matter are looking at a home defense/range gun/boat gun(as in Prince William Sound)
    I've been checking out the Burris AR-536(I think that's the model). It's a red dot with 5x magnification and if batteries go dead it still works. I've also been looking at some aimpoint red dots, but I haven't quite decided what I want yet. I know my budget is around $500 but I'm in no rush. With a shorter barrel if look at red dot with a little magnification. Just don't skimp on the optic. That's a quality gun. Don't put crap on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    I've been checking out the Burris AR-536(I think that's the model). It's a red dot with 5x magnification and if batteries go dead it still works. I've also been looking at some aimpoint red dots, but I haven't quite decided what I want yet. I know my budget is around $500 but I'm in no rush. With a shorter barrel if look at red dot with a little magnification. Just don't skimp on the optic. That's a quality gun. Don't put crap on it.
    I agree with YC. Since the intended use use is for self preservation at home and on the boat then I wouldn't skimp on the optics. I have put cheap glass on AR coyote rifles but then that is never going to be a life or death situation. If they break the coyote gets away. I like some of the high end halo sights but it's 6AM Iowa time and brain won't remember the brand. I have a box in the draw from the last hallow that I put on. I liked it a lot. I will look when I get home if it doesn't come to me before then.

I am glad to hear a first hand report of someone winning one of those NRA raffles. I have messed with all of the different ARS at Brownells and DD are top notch as far as AR's go.

Ah Hah I found it on GB www.gunbroker.com/item/584246270

A brass plate resembling the Colt Peacemaker that is engraved with "Momma Knows Best"!

I would put a Leupold VX2 1-4x for your listed purposes.

I'd ask your Ranger friend, seriously, my son was in the 3rd Ranger Battalion and they know their weapons. Daniel Defense is a great M4 type rifle.

Congrats on the rifle. My wife looked through different optics and opted for open sight flip up with an Aimpoint PRO. Small and has a very long battery life even if left on. She picks what she carries and shoots, and I support that! Let her put her hands on different ones and put her eye up to some. Nice to have such a difficult problem! LOL.

Congrats to your wife, and she picked a gooder. I like my ARs set up as KIS (Keep It Simple). I have an aimpoint ML2 red dot, that is co-whitnessed with back up irons. there is room in the rail and I'll probrably add a 3x magnifier.... That is all, and buy good mags. Again congrats, I was a donator again this year, some day, some day. 😳

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    It's a $20 gun.
    People are always asking if there is a ratio for rifle to scope price. I have read a good ratio is 2:1 for rifle:glass. So for kicks it looks like your limit is $10!

Sobie2

The Friends of NRA raised over a million dollars in Alaska last year. $500,000 of that stayed in Alaska for shooting programs, range development, safety programs and firearms education. The other $500,000 go to national level programs like those listed. Not a dime goes to politics. Thanks for your support !!
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    People are always asking if there is a ratio for rifle to scope price. I have read a good ratio is 2:1 for rifle:glass. So for kicks it looks like your limit is $10!

Sobie2
    I go the other way. Other than red-dots, my scopes almost always cost more than the rifles I own.

How about an Aim Point Micro T with a 2 minute dot? I hear great things about that optic and it would be a good fit on the short range carbine your wife won.

I run Aimpoint PRO's on my AR's.. Half the price of the T-1's but still rugged and reliable.

I run low power variable scopes on mine since i have an astigmatism, it causes a red dot to "starburst" and its hard to aim.

A 1-4x24 scope or a 1.5-6x24 with a illuminated dot in the center work great for a lot of situations. Crank it down to the lowest setting and you can use it like a red dot or crank it up for some distance shooting.
    Josh
    In Egypt on the Sinai peninsula helping to take care of the ISIS problem.

I ended up getting an eotch xps2. (On sale at Cabelas.) I liked the idea of a wide field of view and the 1moa dot. My neighbor gave me pop up sights for backup Sighting it in this weekend. Will let you know how thing turn out.