Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: 4 sets of Moose Antlers stolen in Anchorage between 9/10-9/12

  1. #1
    Member Grizzlykiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nome Alaska
    Posts
    75

    Default 4 sets of Moose Antlers stolen in Anchorage between 9/10-9/12

    Hello. I wanted to put this on here in hopes of gaining some attention to 4 sets of antlers stolen from my garage in South Anchorage sometime between 9/10 and 9/12.
    4 sets of moose antlers, 3 are mounted on wood plaques with suede covering over the skull cap, 1 set is just the antlers and skull cap.
    If anyone has seen these or runs across them I'd appreciate knowing.
    A personal message works well enough, or I can be reached through Facebook.
    My name is Scott Babcock.
    Thanks for any help with this.


  2. #2
    Member theultrarider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    760

    Default

    God I hate thieves of any kind. But this one is a special kind of scum. Good luck. And don't do anything stupid should you get a lead. We want them in jail. Not you.

  3. #3

    Default

    So what would be the motivation to steal four moose racks.........???

  4. #4
    Supporting Member Hoyt-Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Mat-Su Valley
    Posts
    448

    Default

    You have something I want, isn't a good enough motive?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    So what would be the motivation to steal four moose racks.........???
    Money. Guy in the valley was posting online he would pay cash for moose antlers. Eagle River got hit hard for a few weeks but the two guys doing it got caught on the Glenn after someone called them in. Had a pickup full of antlers.

  6. #6
    Member Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska,
    Posts
    2,624

    Default

    Yep that was me. I caught those bas%^ds leaving my house with 2 racks of mine. 2 punk kids that need their butts whooped instead of community service.
    BOATLESS for now......
    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    MMSI#

  7. #7

    Default

    So if you get inside most garages and you have time to steal stuff of value that you can sell, and for which there is a large market, not one guy in the valley, I would expect that tools would be a better steal. Plus if you in the garage, you likely have all the tools there to enter the house. And all the tools you need to enter a gun safe. It seems to me someone knew the moose racks where there. I can see taking the best or even the two best.........but why all four. It has to be more than money. A house and garage full of stuff and two days........and the best you can leave with is four moose racks.........???? Vengeance seems more likely.




    Quote Originally Posted by akfish716 View Post
    Money. Guy in the valley was posting online he would pay cash for moose antlers. Eagle River got hit hard for a few weeks but the two guys doing it got caught on the Glenn after someone called them in. Had a pickup full of antlers.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Yep that was me. I caught those bas%^ds leaving my house with 2 racks of mine. 2 punk kids that need their butts whooped instead of community service.
    Good job nailing those punks.

  9. #9
    Member joebut1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    399

    Default

    Sorry to hear that about your moose racks. I had a pair of moose racks stolen from me last year. Now when ever the wife gets mad at me, she says she is going to put my stuff outside for the thieves lol. but all kidding aside, I hate thieves.

  10. #10
    Member GD Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    PANC
    Posts
    1,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlykiller View Post
    Hello. I wanted to put this on here in hopes of gaining some attention to 4 sets of antlers stolen from my garage in South Anchorage sometime between 9/10 and 9/12.
    4 sets of moose antlers, 3 are mounted on wood plaques with suede covering over the skull cap, 1 set is just the antlers and skull cap.
    If anyone has seen these or runs across them I'd appreciate knowing.
    A personal message works well enough, or I can be reached through Facebook.
    My name is Scott Babcock.
    Thanks for any help with this.
    If you don't mind telling, how did the thieves get into your garage? Break in through a side door? Do you know what time of day or night? That is some seriously large stuff to just stuff in your hoodie pocket and run off. Very sorry to hear it.

  11. #11
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    6,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I can see taking the best or even the two best.........but why all four.
    Most buyers are paying by the pound....cut 'em off the skull plates, stack 'em up, take 'em in. The more the merrier.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

  12. #12
    Member Grizzlykiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nome Alaska
    Posts
    75

    Default

    I suppose I should be positive and say something along the lines of yeah maybe someone will see this or in other places I've posted this.
    But mostly I just feel like shooting somebody in the face.
    The antlers were in my garage, one set was hanging on the wall.
    The others were leaning against a wall.
    The thieves used what looks like a screwdriver to pry open my garage door. The man door.
    I know it was someone who'd seen the door open at some point and knew they were there.
    They also know my schedule and when I'd be gone.
    Not much to say beyond that.
    I've been broken into before and lost some tools and a pistol.
    Those are all replaceable. The antlers aren't.
    My kids first 60 inch bull. My first 60 inch bull killed back in '93. Lots of stuff goes into the hunts we do every year and the antlers I've collected over those years are links to all those memories. And more.
    Someone who'd break into a guys garage to steal them is about as low as can be.
    I'd gladly shoot them in the dick and let them bleed to death if I'd caught them.
    Instead I'm the guy hoping someone sees this and recognizes them.
    Anyway. Whatever. Thieves suck.

  13. #13

    Default

    So.....any idea how much per pound.............????


    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Most buyers are paying by the pound....cut 'em off the skull plates, stack 'em up, take 'em in. The more the merrier.

  14. #14
    Member Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska,
    Posts
    2,624

    Default

    $10-15 a pound. All depends on color and looks.
    BOATLESS for now......
    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    MMSI#

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    94

    Default

    If someone breaks into my house to take my antlers they'd better hope I'm not home, I would be so angry if someone did that to me.

  16. #16
    Member Grizzlykiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nome Alaska
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Trying to keep this on the front page. Whoever the antler thief is is one lowlife slime ball.
    Stealing a guys moose racks takes a special kind of scumbag and the more time that passes the more pissed I get.
    Please keep an eye out for any of these in your travels, 3 are on wood plaques 1 is just the antlers and skull cap.
    Asking for any help at all.

  17. #17
    Member GD Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    PANC
    Posts
    1,062

    Default

    Will keep looking on Alaskalist, eBay and Craigslist.

  18. #18
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    8,642

    Default

    Scott..... you might want to give this guy a call and give him the heads up just in case the pukes may want to bring them down here and try to get him to buy them....


    Alaska Horn & Antler: Tom Cooper, owner
    Specializing in Ram Horn Carvings,
    Moose and Caribou Antler Products
    38778 Sterling Highway
    Soldotna, AK 99669
    (907) 262-9759
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  19. #19
    Member Grizzlykiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nome Alaska
    Posts
    75

    Default

    I think I already called him and asked him to keep an eye open but thanks for the number
    I've called a bunch of buyers asking them to be aware of this. I'll call again and make sure he's aware I'm looking for them.
    At this point I think I've done about all there is to do aside from knocking on every carver and buys door.
    It's not my nature to be a suspicious distrustful type but after having these stolen it's awful hard to not turn into that angry suspicious type.
    Thieves. I just have zero tolerance or use for one and would gladly put some serious hurt on someone if given the chance.
    Thanks to all of you who may be keeping an eye out for these I do appreciate it.
    I know chances are very slim I'll ever see them again but with the way the Internet spreads things around these days I can hope.

  20. #20
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    8,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlykiller View Post
    I think I already called him and asked him to keep an eye open but thanks for the number
    I've called a bunch of buyers asking them to be aware of this. I'll call again and make sure he's aware I'm looking for them.
    At this point I think I've done about all there is to do aside from knocking on every carver and buys door.
    It's not my nature to be a suspicious distrustful type but after having these stolen it's awful hard to not turn into that angry suspicious type.
    Thieves. I just have zero tolerance or use for one and would gladly put some serious hurt on someone if given the chance.
    Thanks to all of you who may be keeping an eye out for these I do appreciate it.
    I know chances are very slim I'll ever see them again but with the way the Internet spreads things around these days I can hope.
    Sure, there's always hope.... A friend if mine had his house broken into and they stole all his guns. It took well over a year but one day he got a call that they found his guns. Can't remember if he got all of them back, but he was sure glad to get a lot of them. It's hard I know, but try and keep the faith brother....faith in getting the racks back as well as in your fellow man.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •