Thread: Know of Kenai nets with stronger strands?

Default Know of Kenai nets with stronger strands?

I use a round-shaped, solid aluminum hoop net at the Copper, and really like it. The net is extremely heavy since I also use the blue color aluminum handles for it, but i only use it on eddies, not to sweep the current

The problem is that the kings rip the net's strands to pieces each season, so i go through a net per summer. At $29.00 per net, I patch them the best way I can, but would like to use a net with stronger strands such as the ones with black, red, or blue double stranded-nylon cord.

As you may know, the net's hoop I am talking about are very large, and the nylon cord nets sold around Fairbanks are too narrow. My question is: do you know of anybody who makes or sells stronger nets to fit the Kenai net hoops above?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Ray,

My first net held up to 3 years on the copper, and 3 or 4 more on the Kenai, for over 200 fish. I finally replaced it last year. I picked it up at B&J commercial.

Ron Fuller in Chugiak makes custom dipnets. Says he has some heavy duty gill net for Chitina. Phone 688-1271.

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Ron Fuller in Chugiak makes custom dipnets. Says he has some heavy duty gill net for Chitina. Phone 688-1271.
    Thanks Paul and TR. I will give Ron Fuller a call and see what he has to say.

Ray,

If you get some, let us know what you think. I haven't seen or used the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Ray,

If you get some, let us know what you think. I haven't seen or used the stuff.
    I ordered one yesterday when I talked to Ron Fuller on the telephone. He told me that the net is pretty much rectangular shaped, and very strong. As I understand, I have to close it at one side (or maybe both sides) with wire ties. I asked him if tying it with 80-pound Dacron line would be better (I have a spool of it), and he said that dacron would be perfect but much more work.

I have all winter to play with it, but i will come back here and let you know how the net is. According to Ron Fuller, the webbing material is the same used by commercial fishermen.