Thread: Sportsman 6x6 800 or 570?

Default Sportsman 6x6 800 or 570?

My dealer has new 6x6 570's and has a 2014 800 with 50 miles on it . Is the 800 a better machine for moose hunting or would you go with the 570? Has the fix worked on the 800 for the bolt breaking ? We're the factory bolts breaking even with the rear sway bars removed ? I have a new Honda 500 Forman but want to move to the sportsman 6x6 as I'm hoping it will get me where more atvs won't go

You will love the 6X6 for hunting. They are amazing where they would go. As for 570 vs the 800, the 570 has more hp and better Fuel economy. That's a win win in my book.

Doubt the 570 matches the torque of the 800. Yes the bolts have been fixed on the new one. And the upgrade fixes the 800. I'm sure the 570 will be fine since the 6 wheelers have had much smaller motors in the past. The torque is nice when it comes to turning 27 or 28 inch tires. Be aware polaris is higher maintenance than a honda.

I recently purchased the 6x6 570. At first I was having issues with clutching(first 19 miles). Took it back to the dealer and was hoping that they fixed it because I didn't have time to go on another test drive before my moose hunt. I am happy to say that I am by far impressed with this machine. I was able to put 2 cut up caribou and half a moose in the thing and still felt like I had enough power to go up anything. Yes it is not as fast as a quad will be or have as much power as say the bombardier 1000 will but it out performed everything else on the trip. There where 3 other people all on 4 wheelers and I used <= the amount of fuel than they used. where we hunt it is not flat and easy going it is in the mountains and some of the hills are aggressive. Going through tundra tusicks( spelling) the machine floats on top or at least the rear does because of the extra wheels. The machine is geared quite aggressive. If you are going in high and let go of the throttle you feel as though you might go over the bars, but it works great when going down steep hills. If I put it in low and use the 6x6 down hill mode the machine with basically come to a stand still with out touching the brakes. That's with having a fully loaded bed, front rack and meat trailer. I can also say that by the end of the trip everyone was wanting to get a 6x6. I put over 100 miles on this last trip and the quad worked great. I would say that I heard the 800 is very thirsty when it comes to fuel. 2016-09-03 10.39.15.jpg2016-09-09 10.24.38.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    You will love the 6X6 for hunting. They are amazing where they would go. As for 570 vs the 800, the 570 has more hp and better Fuel economy. That's a win win in my book.

This seems to be a common misconception about the HP

The Ranger 6x6 800 Has 40 HP

The Big Boss 6x6 800 has 50 HP

The Big boss 570 has 44 HP

The new 570 does have my attention though. The power steering is very enticing.

I have been running the 6x6 since 1996. The 425 magnum, 500 and got my current 800 Big Boss in 2011. I carry extra A Bolts but have never had an issue with mine. Other then the lack of power steering and being a fuel guzzler I love my 800 Big Boss.

I bought my wife a 2013 Razor 570 LE in 2013 and believe the engine and transmission are superior to the old 800 engine and transmission. I would get the 570 with the power steering and better fuel economy and forget about the 800. That 570 engine gives a lot of bang for the buck.

I don't think the 6x6 will go through mud any better then a lifted and big tired 4 wheeler with a competent driver. But, it will definitely haul more, pull a trailer better and bust through the brush better. Especially if you put some 26" mud tires on in it. I run 26" Mud Lites on my machines and put 1' spacers on the front of my Big Boss.

I saw a 800 Big Boss with 27" Zilla's and the rear wheels almost touched each other, but the guy got away with it.

I think if theres a choice of whether to get an 800 or 570, If money is no object, get the 570 6x6. Power Will prolly be the same. Way more fuel range and Fuel economy and Power steering.

Joebut1985 Seems to love his. Hauling half a moose and multiple caribou at once sounds like she performs just like the 800's Do, on much less gas and no sore shoulders hehe

I don't think the 6x6 will go through mud any better then a lifted and big tired 4 wheeler with a competent driver. But, it will definitely haul more, pull a trailer better and bust through the brush better. Especially if you put some 26" mud tires on in it. I run 26" Mud Lites on my machines and put 1' spacers on the front of my Big Boss.

Another thing it will do better is inclines.....all day long without loosing traction. Love my 800 6x6

Yup, it will pull hills great, even with a heavy loaded trailer. In 19 years I never remember loosing traction on a hill. The "Active Descent" mode, when engaged, is crazy slow when going down hill in low and it will almost always stop the machine. The machine is heavy enough that a loaded trailer does not try to out run it on hills. Gotta love a controlled descent.

Ive been looking at getting a 6x6 for a long time. Glad to hear that you guys like this one. However, I'm more partial to diesels, any views on the Polaris diesels? (diesel is not a requirement, my biggest decision is between the side by side or a normal ATV)

is there any reason to get the Polaris over the Can Am? I have been hearing that Can Am has really stepped up their game these past several years.
    Josh
    In Egypt on the Sinai peninsula helping to take care of the ISIS problem.

Well i decided after this weekend,its time to buy a 6x6 for moose hunting. We found a few bulls in a valley but there was no way to get our atv's anywhere close to them to recover the meat.. so i had to pass on a big bull. To get the 2-3 miles needed to recover them was a narrow steep valley with a creek wondering though it and 5' buckbrush willows then 2 very long steep climbs with willows. The quads just would not climb especially trying to pull trailers up it.So i hiked to the bulls only to realize no way our 2 quads could get here... the hike back had me thinking .... i think a sportsman or canam 6x6 could climb these 2 hills and walk through these high willows.. I don't have any experience with the 6x6's but i expect they should climb almost any reasonable slope.. and should climb as well as an argo 6x6 .....

Quote Originally Posted by grit View Post
    Well i decided after this weekend,its time to buy a 6x6 for moose hunting. We found a few bulls in a valley but there was no way to get our atv's anywhere close to them to recover the meat.. so i had to pass on a big bull. To get the 2-3 miles needed to recover them was a narrow steep valley with a creek wondering though it and 5' buckbrush willows then 2 very long steep climbs with willows. The quads just would not climb especially trying to pull trailers up it.So i hiked to the bulls only to realize no way our 2 quads could get here... the hike back had me thinking .... i think a sportsman or canam 6x6 could climb these 2 hills and walk through these high willows.. I don't have any experience with the 6x6's but i expect they should climb almost any reasonable slope.. and should climb as well as an argo 6x6 .....
    Look forward to hearing how it goes for you after you get one.
    Josh
    In Egypt on the Sinai peninsula helping to take care of the ISIS problem.

Grit
    you get a few miles on it you are going to love it