Thread: Lycoming 150 A2B Total Overhaul costs.

Default Lycoming 150 A2B Total Overhaul costs.

So I am looking at a Super Cub but the motor is a TBO.
    What are the costs of such an undertaking in your experience?
    I called a shop at Merrill and they quoted me $18,000-$19,500 then told me to budget $3,500 for a mechanic to pull and replace the motor.
    They also said their could be more costs depending on what else is found.

Just looking for what you guys have seen when going through the process.

Sounds about right as long as your case and crank are good. Things to have done when having a motor rebuilt: Are the cases sent out for inspection/mating and line boring? Is crank trued and tested for cracks? Are you planning on new cylinders (only 1-2 hundred more than overhaul) Are mags/carb/alternater being overhauled? What shape is your exhaust. Sending the case and crank out of state will cost more but will insure you have a solid bottom end. If all the above is done than you have a good price. If shortcuts or lots of old parts are being used than it is not a good deal.
    DENNY

The plane is still flying and at annual the mechanic said to keep flying it.
    that being said, it is second hand info from the owner of the plane.
    The price I got was for a top to bottom overhaul including the mags. Not sure if the carb and alternator is included.
    I know the exhaust was not included in the price.
    Looks like I need to dig in a little deeper and get a complete list of services provided.

First, TBO isn't a death sentence for a private operator. It may run for another 1000 hours and do fine. If it needs overhauling? Lots of variables. Is it first run since new? How many cycles on the cylinders? What's the history on the crank, cam, lifters, etc? If it's a rarely flown multiple run engine? I'd core it and buy a different one. Maybe call Custom Aircraft Engines in Palmer and chat with them. Richard usually has some of the popular engines on the floor ready to go. That means very little down time. A thorough overhaul will take months and $20K +. A first run overhaul could be half that, depending on who's doing it.

How much do you plan to fly each year? 50 hours? 200 hours? I would research that engine and answer a few questions first before I planned an overhaul. If it was maintained well, I would probably fly the hell out of it for a few more years before I dumped that much money into it. Especially right after the initial purchase.
    Avgas equals experience. Experience equals better decisions over time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Thanks for the info guys. I am new to airplanes so I am still learning all the ins and outs of what it is to own a plane. I want a safe reliable plane, but if I do not have to dump a ton of money in it right away that would be great. Eventually I would overhaul the motor or get a replacement as well as down the road do a complete restoration on the airframe. I just want to have those costs spread out a little so I don't divorced (:
    I am currently seeking information on the motor history from the owner. I am also going to go up and inspect the plane when I get off Slope and probably have a pre buy inspection done on it, at minimum.

Keep the information coming!

I had a Lyc 0-320 that went 3,700 hours, before I sold the plane. I topped it a couple times, ( replaced the jugs and pistons) and changed oil every 25 hours.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I just am weary about getting a plane with 2000 hours even though the compression is good and the motor is not making metal.
    Do the engines just fail or it a slow progression?

You need to find a good IA that is happy with the plane before you buy it. Find the IA than the plane. Is it running strong (give prop and static RPM numbers), the oil stays clean looking for 10-15 hours than it may hold out for a while. The exhaust valves are the major concern even after 1,000 hours. Other things to look at is when was the last mag rebuild/overhaul. If you are a low time pilot wanting to fly in the bush chance of bending something early is pretty high so get a beater and run the piss out of it. Lyc engines will usually tell you when they are going bad but you may not know what to listen for. Low power, metal in screen, dirty oil after a few hours, milky coating on exhaust valves are not good signs. But don't throw baby out with bathwater if you get a good price than rebuild and go for it. Flying over hard green trees and water is always better with a fresh motor. Find the IA than find the plane.

DENNY

Hey, Just a little help from my experience as a CFII, A.P. I.A. 45 years of flying in Alaska and Most of my experience is in DHC-2, C-185, C-206, Pa18, Most of this times on Floats. Ski's. If you have to Run a Engine over the recommended over haul time just because you do not have the money to rebuild it. Two very important thing I have found do not BUY Any Airplane Buy a 4 wheeler. If you have to ask how much dose it Cost you should not have any airplane.

A few thoughts from my limited experience:

- As Denny pointed out, Lycomings seem to give some indication that they are failing. I seem to recall that "that sounds just a bit off" was typically accompanied by one of those indicators;
    - The generic advice of getting a beater and then, well, beating the snot out of it can't be beat. (too much alliteration)
    - I don't have enough experience to categorically state anything, but from that limited experience, I think one might experience catastrophic failures of the accessories more often than a similar catastrophic failure of the iron; Of course, depending, an accessory failure can be deadly as well or lead to failure of the iron;
    - Don't know how to say this without it coming across wrong: as a private operator, one doesn't have to OH at an hour limit; it may be prudent to do an OH even if there are no signs requiring it. It may be entirely sound not to do an OH until there are signs of needing it....but there is darn sure nothing wrong with seeking advice on whether an engine can go over the time threshold nor with asking how much it costs. While I didn't do it, I could have written one check for the rebuild of my -12, could of written that check two or three times over if need be, but I darn sure wanted to get a good estimate of the cost or at least know the components of the cost going in.
    Back in AK

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Makie View Post
    If you have to ask how much dose it Cost you should not have any airplane.
    That seems a little extreme but I definitely get the point. If something comes up in the annual or otherwise that needs fixed you should have funds in reserve to fix it, and things here and there will always need fixed if you are paying attention.

That being said a lot of people say just buy the Super Cub if that's what you really want and they cost a whole lot more up front and to maintain than a J3 or Champ etc. Consider ownership and fuel costs before spending all your money on the plane.

You can try this, go to aircraft specialities services web site, they list the prices for machine work for overhaul. Cyl. Run 6-700 ea, new cam and followers 15-1800, new cyl. Are 1100 . If your pistons are good but to overhaul your cyl. Requires boring then you need over sized Pistons that's when you buy new cyl.. Your crank will need to be re-cert. And the rods done that's on the web site. This just hits some high points so you can see there are several variables that inter-twine. 20,000 is a good # to send a engine out . If you aren't a AP getting someone to work on it by coming up with a scattering of parts and unknown org. And who did the dissembling etc. will be tough because of liability to the ap. Another route is find a lower/mid time engine and sell yours for core and swap with the new one, be careful of prop strike engines, whole new set of snags. Find a AP you like and trust and work thru it with him would be my advise. Good luck and yes it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN B View Post
    So I am looking at a Super Cub but the motor is a TBO.
    What are the costs of such an undertaking in your experience?
    I called a shop at Merrill and they quoted me $18,000-$19,500 then told me to budget $3,500 for a mechanic to pull and replace the motor.
    They also said their could be more costs depending on what else is found.

Just looking for what you guys have seen when going through the process.
    last engine I overhauled was 14.5k, that was a first run engine from the factory though. What is the engine you are looking at? Does it have six thousand hours on it or two thousand? TBO is not total time in service, it is the time since last overhaul. The fact that you aren't talking about the engine total time, tells me you better find a good A&P that knows cubs & 0-320 engines. You can learn something in this process and also possibly save yourself some grief...

I don't know the total time on the engine or if it has been overhauled. The owner says its at TBO but couldn't find the hours in the log book. He said he lets his AP take care of that. It's been hard getting info from him sense we bouts have been in and out of town hunting. He should be back in town this week and I will try and nail down some details on total hours VS Time sense overhaul. What I want is a sound motor that I do not have to worry about, if that means an overhaul then so be it.
    I am just trying to gather enough information to decide if I should swap my boat for this Super Cub or look for a different plane.
    Eventually I want a Super cub or PA12 but might just get a cheaper plane and build hours.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN B View Post
    I don't know the total time on the engine or if it has been overhauled. The owner says its at TBO but couldn't find the hours in the log book. He said he lets his AP take care of that. It's been hard getting info from him sense we bouts have been in and out of town hunting. He should be back in town this week and I will try and nail down some details on total hours VS Time sense overhaul. What I want is a sound motor that I do not have to worry about, if that means an overhaul then so be it.
    I am just trying to gather enough information to decide if I should swap my boat for this Super Cub or look for a different plane.
    Eventually I want a Super cub or PA12 but might just get a cheaper plane and build hours.
    With the qualifier that free advice is worth what you pay for it , and apologies for continuing to comment to the point of redundancy:

- If the logbooks are incomplete, in my view that is a different (but troubling) problem than whatever information might be/should be in the logs;.....said with full understanding that may AK aircraft might not have perfect logs.
    - I bought my -12 from a gentleman who had owned it for 15 years; at the time, I was amazed at what he did with it with my fat behind in the back seat; in time, I got pretty proficient with it and may have been within spitting distance of using it to the limits of its ability (not now as I don't put in the time that I should). However, I had a chance to put a few hours in an -18 back when I was flying a lot with the -12 and the two airplanes ain't the same. In 90% of cases, the limiting factor is the guy driving and a -12 would be perfectly satisfactory....if one is determined to wring the nth degree of performance from his a/c, to land on ridgetops and short sandbars, and to compete at Valdez, get an -18.
    - Don't ask me how I know, but DON'T make the mistake of getting a -12 and spending $$$ to try to turn it into an -18. That being said, a -12 is a pretty docile platform to learn on, will be cheaper (all other things being equal) than a comparable -18, and (IMNSHO) would be suitable for almost all recreational users.
    Back in AK

The engine logs should be easy to read for total time since new or since major overhaul. I always worry about ANY owner who says or claims he does not know much about his plane and just lets his mechanic "worry about that stuff."...
    xx
    I have walked away from a lot more aircraft sales than the ones I accepted. If you have to Force a Deal to Work, it might not be such a good deal.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

2x what float pilot said, if you gotta force it don't .