Thread: Any blackies yet?

Default Any blackies yet?

Usually see a few berry bears posted on here by this time of year. Anyone been out after them yet? Would love to see some pics.

I've been thinking about heading out soon, may give it another couple weeks depending on how the snow moves
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Have been seeing alot right above the alders. Berries up around 3000' are just about done already. Have had several good freezes and are almost inedible. Bears will still be cleaning them up though.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by huntfishtrap247 View Post
    Usually see a few berry bears posted on here by this time of year. Anyone been out after them yet? Would love to see some pics.
    Seeing your location says "East", I would imagine you're far from where I am. But it reminds me of something I heard from a friend the other day. He has a cabin up in Caribou Hills and hunts a lot up there. He told me that he hasn't seen one blackie this year, where before he's always seen them all over up there. His brother mentioned it to F&G and was told that the blackies took a big hit last year due to the crazy winter we had. It seems that because of the really warm winter a lot of bears came out of their dens only to then have the winter really sit in and dump many feet of snow up there very late. Unfortunately many bears starved to death because of it. HomerDave, if you happen to read this maybe you could talk to the people you know and see what they have to say about it? Thanks....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!