Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best system to purify Glacier water

Default Best system to purify Glacier water

Heading out in two weeks for my goat hunt.
    Area I'm going doesn't have fresh water. Glacier water is what I have to drink.
    Looking for recommendation on a good silt purification system for glacier water.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I started to use the "Platypus Gravityworks filter System" 4 years ago and it works great. I used it in glacier streams and major brown mud slide off type streams. The filter will plug and as it does it just starts taking longer for the water to pass thru. Simply pull the hoses off the filter and revers blow in one end and hook it back up and filter again. Just buy a couple extra platypus bags. Real compact systems. No pumping involved.

I agree. The Platypus Gravityworks is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by akgutpile View Post
    I started to use the "Platypus Gravityworks filter System" 4 years ago and it works great. I used it in glacier streams and major brown mud slide off type streams. The filter will plug and as it does it just starts taking longer for the water to pass thru. Simply pull the hoses off the filter and revers blow in one end and hook it back up and filter again. Just buy a couple extra platypus bags. Real compact systems. No pumping involved.

What is wrong with drinking silty water.......???

If you want to preserve your filters (I agree that the gravity bag filters work well with silt), set a gallon of water in a milk jug overnight. 80% of the silt will settle out and you can decant the clear(er) water in the morning to filter.

If you want to go low-tech, coffee filters and rubber bands. Concave them into a water bottle and slowly pour in.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post
    If you want to preserve your filters (I agree that the gravity bag filters work well with silt), set a gallon of water in a milk jug overnight. 80% of the silt will settle out and you can decant the clear(er) water in the morning to filter.

^^^^This!

If you try to filter water right out of a glacial stream, the filter plugs in no time flat. Let it settle over night and filter out of the top 1/2 or so- filter more or less last the normal duration.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

a pinch of Alum Powder in silty water, 30 minute rest, and you have clear water to filter saving your filters from clogging.

These guys make a concentrate ahead of time, but I've done it with just a few pinches in a nalgene bottle then used my lifestraw after 30 minutes and it's clear as tap water. Just don't shake it up after it's settled, and I only suck down to the last 1/4 of the bottle, dump it out and restart. Have yet to clog my straw up.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

What I do is make a little eddie or calm spot in the creek. Doesn't take much and the water clears up really fast. Then I filter from there. Pile up rocks to divert the water from entering your new little calm spot is all.
    Being Built (27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse)
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# UNK
    Boat Name Unknown

The alum powder did not work for me. I didn't have it premixed like in the video, so perhaps that's why.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Personally I'd do some research about ingesting alum. They've already found out that cooking with aluminum isn't good for your body. I can't imagine alum would be either. But I can't confirm this. Does the alum end up going down to the bottom as well? If that is for sure then maybe it's ok. I've drank plenty of glacial water over the years and it's never bothered me at all. If I was to do any filtering of it at all it would be just with some paper or handkerchief or something, rather than put aluminum in my body. Just for your info, people actually eat what is called bentonite clay which is very good for your gut. There's a very good book that has just came out called "Eat Dirt". There's something to be said about having a bit of the "good" minerals from the Earth in our bodies. By all means though don't take my word for it, look it up if you feel compelled...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Personally I'd do some research about ingesting alum. They've already found out that cooking with aluminum isn't good for your body. I can't imagine alum would be either. But I can't confirm this. Does the alum end up going down to the bottom as well? If that is for sure then maybe it's ok. I've drank plenty of glacial water over the years and it's never bothered me at all. If I was to do any filtering of it at all it would be just with some paper or handkerchief or something, rather than put aluminum in my body. Just for your info, people actually eat what is called bentonite clay which is very good for your gut. There's a very good book that has just came out called "Eat Dirt". There's something to be said about having a bit of the "good" minerals from the Earth in our bodies. By all means though don't take my word for it, look it up if you feel compelled...
    Everything I've found says that as long as you don't get into the solution on the bottom, you don't get any alum. It binds with the silt and settles out, not mixing in the water. But, the alum powder used is the same stuff you use for pickling, like pickles and other canning projects, not actual powdered Aluminum - I believe it is potassium alum
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Alum was used in the old days to make lose things tighter,think fallen doves. Put a little on your lips for a instant pucker Most water treatment plants use alum as a flocculent to trap solid and take them to the bottom of the water tanks.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Alum was used in the old days to make lose things tighter,think fallen doves.
    But after the alum at least they weren't "lonesome" doves......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

When I was seriously into home brewing I used the Alum technique to remove minerals form hard water before brewing. Interesting use in silty water. They say it makes your hair fall out, but I don't believe em.

I bring a platypus bag or collapsible bucket of some sort, let the water settle, pour off the clean water then bleach it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    What I do is make a little eddie or calm spot in the creek. Doesn't take much and the water clears up really fast. Then I filter from there. Pile up rocks to divert the water from entering your new little calm spot is all.

Ditto.

I dig dig a small hole just off the stream/River and let the sand/rocks filter out the silt. Short time later you have endless water.
    Silt will ALWAYS clog a filter, even the hanging bags

So..........14,550 plus years humans have been drinking Alaska water.........and without a water filter. So suddenly silt is bad for the human gizzard...???

Pour thru paper towel if ya don't like a little grit. Just shines your crowns and cleans your teeth otherwise!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I just drink from all the rivers and streams here,the Stikeen is one silty river but skim from the top inch or so and its clear
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I used this on my recent goat hunt. Worked great. Very light and doesn't take up any room...
    https://www.sawyersafetravel2.com/pr...roducts_id=144

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast