Thread: Do You Guys Ever Worry About This Stuff?

Default Do You Guys Ever Worry About This Stuff?

http://www.adn.com/alaska-life/we-al...s-on-the-rise/

I found this interesting, and I have a related little back story: At least 2 seasons, if not 3 ago, I pulled into a little shallow divot close to the FS cabin in Pigot bay to clean fish and shrimp. It was dead calm...perfect day for a no-see-em to attempt a new speed record. All of a sudden, LOUD rumbling, freight trainy sound. It lasted close to 2 minutes, I'd guess. There was a boat directly across the bay from me, and when it started, they were instantly outa there and made the turn toward Whittier. I stayed put and nothing materialized. About an hour later, the other boat came back down the side I was on and stopped to ask "did you hear that?" They do their anchor thing with their pot puller same as I do with a buoy always tied to the bitter end. If the need arises, they can simply pitch the whole thing overboard and beat feet. That's what they did and were coming back to pick it up. I always wondered what happened and figure there was a landslide way up country towards Pigot glacier that thankfully didn't reach water. It was pretty weird!

It could have been a williwaw. They are compressed gusts of wind that come out of nowhere and fall down mountainsides. You can hear them coming like a freight train. I've never been through one but a fellow guide friend of mine did on the AK. Peninsula. He said when it hits you better have something to hold onto when you hit the ground and lay out flat. I've read articles of big boats that have been rolled over in the water by them as well.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I spent a night of terror about this time of year in Quillian bay getting smacked by williwaw's all night. FYI if its going to blow hard don't go up above the lake outlet thinking it will be nice, the trains come down the mountain at about a 100.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I wouldn't say I worry about it, but sometimes I think about what I would do if I was out there when a tsunami hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I wouldn't say I worry about it, but sometimes I think about what I would do if I was out there when a tsunami hit.
    That has crossed my mind more than once.. Head for deep water as fast as our boat will go is all I can come up with.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Don't forget. We need to keep an eye to the sky for falling stars and asteroids as well. Pour me another one. Time to relax and enjoy life. Can't control everything.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    ....Pour me another one. Time to relax and enjoy life. Can't control everything.
    I hear that buddy....if we worried about everything out there that can kill ya, we'd never leave the house. When it's your time, it's your time...and I don't think there's a da*n thing you can do about it...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    if we worried about everything out there that can kill ya, we'd never leave the house. When it's your time, it's your time...and I don't think there's a da*n thing you can do about it...
    Often this statement is followed by "hold my beer and watch this"...