Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Two Forks This Morning (And The One That Got Away)

  1. #1

    Default Two Forks This Morning (And The One That Got Away)

    Man, what dumb luck. I hiked out to my tree stand this morning before the crack of dawn. Right at first light, I spotted two small bulls crossing this meadow about 200 yards to the West of my stand. They were crossing the meadow from North to South and not staying in one place long enough for me to verify if they were legal spikes or forks. I pulled out an old moose scapula from my backpack and raked it up and down a few times on the tree to try to coax them in a little closer. Almost immediately the bigger of the two bulls began walking my direction. It closed the distance to about 100 yards and it was starting to get light enough now that I could just about see his antlers clearly enough to verify if he was legal. To the best of my ability I was fairly certain he was a fork, but I was still not 100%. If I had to put a number on it, I would say it was a 95% chance that he was legal, and 5% chance he was not.

    So just then, almost as quickly as he appeared out of nowhere, he turned, faced South, and walked into the timber never to be seen again. A few moments later, the other bull followed him and disappeared. I hate that when that kinda thing happens to me. Any of you have similar stories you would like to share? I have plenty of them. I hate it when you know that there was a really good chance it was legal and you pass it up anyway, just to be on the safe side. It makes me even madder when I think of some of the people I know that wouldn't have thought twice about shooting it and lying about it if it wasn't legal.

    How about you guys? Anybody got similar stories they would like to tell?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Man, what dumb luck. I hiked out to my tree stand this morning before the crack of dawn. Right at first light, I spotted two small bulls crossing this meadow about 200 yards to the West of my stand. They were crossing the meadow from North to South and not staying in one place long enough for me to verify if they were legal spikes or forks. I pulled out an old moose scapula from my backpack and raked it up and down a few times on the tree to try to coax them in a little closer. Almost immediately the bigger of the two bulls began walking my direction. It closed the distance to about 100 yards and it was starting to get light enough now that I could just about see his antlers clearly enough to verify if he was legal. To the best of my ability I was fairly certain he was a fork, but I was still not 100%. If I had to put a number on it, I would say it was a 95% chance that he was legal, and 5% chance he was not.

    So just then, almost as quickly as he appeared out of nowhere, he turned, faced South, and walked into the timber never to be seen again. A few moments later, the other bull followed him and disappeared. I hate that when that kinda thing happens to me. Any of you have similar stories you would like to share? I have plenty of them. I hate it when you know that there was a really good chance it was legal and you pass it up anyway, just to be on the safe side. It makes me even madder when I think of some of the people I know that wouldn't have thought twice about shooting it and lying about it if it wasn't legal.

    How about you guys? Anybody got similar stories they would like to tell?
    Been in that situation a couple times. Glad to hear you still hold yourself to the level of ethics I've always known you to have.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

  3. #3
    Member theultrarider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    842

    Default

    Been there more times than I care to count. Keep hunting that area. You will get another look at him. I almost feel better when the next time I see them I decide 100% that they are both NOT legal bulls! Sure makes you feel better about passing them up when you were not sure. Of course, I hope Karma comes around and offers up one for the freezer next! Good luck and be proud that you did the right thing in not shooting.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    Been in that situation a couple times. Glad to hear you still hold yourself to the level of ethics I've always known you to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Been there more times than I care to count. Keep hunting that area. You will get another look at him. I almost feel better when the next time I see them I decide 100% that they are both NOT legal bulls! Sure makes you feel better about passing them up when you were not sure. Of course, I hope Karma comes around and offers up one for the freezer next! Good luck and be proud that you did the right thing in not shooting.
    Thanks for the kind and encouraging words you guys.

  5. #5
    Member cod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Ak.
    Posts
    2,015

    Default

    [QUOTE=Bushwhack Jack;1558815)
    How about you guys? Anybody got similar stories they would like to tell?[/QUOTE]

    Well, last nite I was out to my duck hunting spot w the pup and set up about 100 ft from my truck. It rained on us for a couple hrs and about an hr b4 quit time I walked behind my lousy blind to snap off a few small spruce tops to "spruce up" my hiding spot. After planting them at the blind, the dog and I walked downstream 100 yards for a look-around and a little break. Fifteen min later upon our return we flushed a nice bull moose out of the shrubbery and right into my decoy set. How he didn't tangle in my jerk line, I don't know. But I was so surprised that I forgot to even count or look at brow tines. We were only 30 yards from it and I struggled to get the camera from under 3 levels of clothes. What a great pic it would have made. (I am not a reg moose hunter so my judgement of size is still unproven). He was palmed out fairly nice and I found myself trying to judge by mostly the palmated portion of the rack. Suddenly I realized, heck, he had tines that were probly 10 or so inches long too. I was sorta thinking....45"? But then I'm thinking about the tines again! Anyhow, it happened pretty quick and out of my dekes he trotted and off thru the trees upriver he went. I sat in the blind and thought I may as well throw a few cow calls out and did so. 5 minutes later I hear a bull from across and downriver grunt 3 times. Another 5 min and out pops a nice bull on my side of the river 300-400 yards Downstream of me. He hops in the river and swims across to where I thought the bull grunts came from. I'm watching as best I can thru my rainy, fogged up binos thinking, man, that's a nice big bull. All the while my rifle is only 100 ft away in my truck. I don't think the one that crossed the river was the one in my dekes, but can't be sure. Pretty neat. Wish I'd have had a bit more time to see em better.
    Not a shot fired at ducks yesterday. But hey, that's duck hunting!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •