Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How big?

Default How big?

Had to let him walk 2x1 on brow tines thought he was shy a bit. How shy?

Sorry hit submit to fast
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hard to see in the pics but mid forty is my guess,good walker not shooter

42-45......

Cool my thoughts exactly, had cows trying to circle for my scent so got bad pics. But the pics are from approx. 40 yards if that helps

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

In the 40's. Won't make it in a 50" unit.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking he'd be lucky to make 40".....more like 36-38 to me.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

image.jpg This guy is 35" with a 6" space between bases and the one I saw was bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by AKElectrician View Post
    image.jpg This guy is 35" with a 6" space between bases and the one I saw was bigger.
    Well, like I've said I tend to be a bit more conservative with my judgments these days. But not all racks in this neighborhood look like your 35"er here. The reason I said 36-38 was because it reminded me of a 36"er that my buddy shot with 3 brow tines. It also had nice wide palms as well. Just a nice compact little rack. Probably would have been a nice heavy racked big bull some day had he not killed it....

First time judging/playing with a live bull. Canoeing up a river and came round the corner there he was. Got out opposite river bank with wind in my favor. Put the paddle above my head started walking slow and grunting. Raked the paddle and he showed of his head gear. Ended up getting 45' from him, with a paddle over my head and light grunts. Pretty fun good learning experience. I used 28" from tip to tip of flat ears and think a solid 7" from tip of ear to furthest edge. Thought he was 40-45 but not good at guessing measurements, tape measures and levels are for accuracy eyeballs are for illusions but that's just the construction worker in me. Been reading and looking at sizes for the last 4 years of bulls and all the tips and tricks people have and tried them all, felt less confident in myself with every trick came up with something different, never thought it was legal but still trying to judge it I just lost confidence. Feel confident in keeping one around though he stayed the night and was there in the morning still.

Sorry thought this loaded guess it didn't thanks for the replies. 4mer the set on the floor was found dead in the middle of Swanson river on a spring float took his head gear. That the neighborhood your around?
    Attached Images Attached Images

36"-40" I highly doubt he's over 40. He reminds me a lot of a bull I shot once in an any bull unit. He was 36".

Sorry thought this loaded guess it didn't thanks for the replies. 4mer the set on the floor was found dead in the middle of Swanson river on a spring float took his head gear. That the neighborhood your around?
    Much better angle of pict so I would guess 41, the first pict I was only thinking 36 area. next year don't shoot him either because you will end up with a 47 bull and a heafty fine to go with it. He will be good to go in two more years

[QUOTE=338MUZZLEBREAK;1558794]Much better angle of pict so I would guess 41, the first pict I was only thinking 36 area. next year don't shoot him either because you will end up with a 47 bull and a heafty fine to go with it. He will be good to go in two more years[/

Not shooing unless a spike or 4 brow tines cause like I say eyes are for illusions not accuracy, in my mind. That guy was really close to the road, hope he makes it.

[QUOTE=AKElectrician;1558798]
    Quote Originally Posted by 338MUZZLEBREAK View Post
    Much better angle of pict so I would guess 41, the first pict I was only thinking 36 area. next year don't shoot him either because you will end up with a 47 bull and a heafty fine to go with it. He will be good to go in two more years[/

Not shooing unless a spike or 4 brow tines cause like I say eyes are for illusions not accuracy, in my mind. That guy was really close to the road, hope he makes it.
    He should live through this season since he's low 40's at best. But his odds of making it through next season when he's upper 40's close to the roads is questionable.

Here's (2) pics of a Bull that appears larger than the one you have pictured yet still I believe is only in the mid 40's. Curious of others opinions as well. Attachment 90447Attachment 90448

I would say in his 40s
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Indulge me if you would while I tell you a little story. I had some friends and as a family they decided, besides a spike/fork, that they would not shoot anything that didn't have 3 brow tines....back then it was 3 not 4 like it is today. I told them straight up, well, you're probably going to let a lot of legal bulls go by then. I explained to them that the Kenai is known for having huge bulls that only sport one or two brow tines. Personally I've seen, and/or shot, lots of them. Also remember a 72" bull that made the newspaper that only had either 1x2 or 2x2 as I can't remember for sure as it was long ago. Regardless my friends decided that was the way it was going to be....3 brows or not at all. These guys hunted hard and in some good areas. I don't think it was a week later they killed a nice bull. It ended up at 55" and 3 brows (of course). But what he told me after we were looking at the bull's rack that has stuck with me. He said that they had jumped 2 bulls together. But because the other one didn't have the brow tines they let him walk. Only after they went over and put a tape on the one they just shot they realized they had made a big mistake, because they told me the one they let walk dwarfed the one they killed.

Make no mistake, I would never want to tell you to shoot a bull you're not sure of. All I can say is do a ton of research. Look at a lot of pics of bulls and their measurements now while you're starting out. Ask questions and get advise from those in the know. There are little tricks that help a lot. After awhile you'll get a good idea of what a 50" bull looks like and be pretty comfortable with it. That way you won't make the same mistake my friends made....

Good luck....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Indulge me if you would while I tell you a little story. I had some friends and as a family they decided, besides a spike/fork, that they would not shoot anything that didn't have 3 brow tines....back then it was 3 not 4 like it is today. I told them straight up, well, you're probably going to let a lot of legal bulls go by then. I explained to them that the Kenai is known for having huge bulls that only sport one or two brow tines. Personally I've seen, and/or shot, lots of them. Also remember a 72" bull that made the newspaper that only had either 1x2 or 2x2 as I can't remember for sure as it was long ago. Regardless my friends decided that was the way it was going to be....3 brows or not at all. These guys hunted hard and in some good areas. I don't think it was a week later they killed a nice bull. It ended up at 55" and 3 brows (of course). But what he told me after we were looking at the bull's rack that has stuck with me. He said that they had jumped 2 bulls together. But because the other one didn't have the brow tines they let him walk. Only after they went over and put a tape on the one they just shot they realized they had made a big mistake, because they told me the one they let walk dwarfed the one they killed.

Make no mistake, I would never want to tell you to shoot a bull you're not sure of. All I can say is do a ton of research. Look at a lot of pics of bulls and their measurements now while you're starting out. Ask questions and get advise from those in the know. There are little tricks that help a lot. After awhile you'll get a good idea of what a 50" bull looks like and be pretty comfortable with it. That way you won't make the same mistake my friends made....

Good luck....
    Thanks for the story, sure I will do the same thing. I have been studying moose racks on here and every rack I see from friends racks to racks in stores for the last 4 years, I know I'll need many more years before I will possibly be comfortable with it. But with that, all the guesses I have made have been so far off its not even worth it, 1 inch under is 1 ticket and a lot of effort for nothing but a bill, much less 5-6" off. I have watched the F&G video, and all I have to say is the best piece of info in it was the most obvious, don't have the brow tines don't shoot.
    P.S. 61"-60" 4X4 and 4x2+(brow tines were broke) Interlocked and found dead by my dad a mile from a popular road in sterling. I know there are 4 brow tines out there as well...
    GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast